German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This afternoon, I was vacuuming (again!), and my neighbor knocked on my front door. I didn't hear it, but Jedda did - I just didn't pay attention. She didn't bark, just got up and went over to the door. A few minutes later, he walked in to the kitchen through the garage. A little annoying, but that's not the point. I almost had a coronary when he called my name, and Jedda just looked at him, pretty surprised too, I think. She knows him, but nobody has ever walked into the house without me letting them in before. She's only 5 months old, and she was very shy with him initially, but I was kind of surprised she didn't even bark. What do you think? I don't want her ripping someone's face off just for setting foot in the door, but some barking until I say enough would be nice. Should I do anything to encourage her? Or just let her grow up?! Thanks

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
I think if she knows him and likes him, she smelled him when he walked in and decided he was no threat.

·
Banned
1,283 Posts
my dogs are pretty sharp and vocal but they don't bother to bark at the nearest neighbours - which i think is a good thing.

your dog's reaction i think is quite understanble if you have had the same neighbours for awhile and they have never been a threat to the dog or you in the past.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That makes sense, I didn't even think about the fact that she would recognize him. This dog just keeps surprising me - she's so smart, and even I haven't messed her up yet! Thanks for replies

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Well, look at it in a positive way first - perhaps she has a very good ability to judge a threat, and while rude, he apparently wasn't one.

Why on earth did he just walk in? If you don't mind me asking.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He walked in because "he knew I was home because he could hear the TV and my car was in the garage." Thank goodness I vacuum with clothes on, right ;)
He's not actually obnoxious, even though I'm making him sound like that! I'd probably walk in their house and call to them if the front door was open and I heard them in the back yard - it was more like that than just barging in.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
your dog is 5 months old. i wouldn't expect my 5 month old
pup to bark at someone entering the house whether he knew
them or not.

·
Registered
27,279 Posts
I also agree/5 month old pup shouldn't be expected to bark...but for an adult dog, you bet I'd expect an alert if someone who doesn't live in(or regularly visits) the home walks in.
My kids have friends coming and going and my dogs know who is who from their scent(even before they enter) Most of the kids don't knock but just come in and sometimes unexpectedly. It is amazing to see the dogs give an alert bark when it is someone they aren't familiar with...and when the regulars who interact with them come over, they are wigglebutts!
The dogs read who likes them and who doesn't want attention, they are very good at deciphering.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Seven just turned a year and has only recently started barking occasionally at people at the door. I think it just takes time.

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It wasn't so much I expected her to bark as I was a little surprised she didn't, because I was so surprised at his entrance. And DoggieDad, now I'm a bit worried because she has definitely been barking at people walking by when she's at the front door watching what's going on. I don't want her to bark at people in their own yards or just walking by, so we're working on bark on command and shush on command. Since that doesn't work yet, if she won't hush up I just close the door. She's seems like such a calm, balanced pup, but I'm a little paranoid I'll do the wrong thing! Anything else I should be doing? Thanks

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
When my boy was a pup he was sometimes trigger happy, for lack of a better word. He would react by barking to alot of things but the more I exposed him & the more he looked to me for a response he started to become more discriminating...nope, no need to bark at those nice people walking down the road enjoying a walk. Yup, I will bark when someone knocks on the door to alert the house. It takes time & training:)

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks, I seem to forget that this a process! I was really proud of her yesterday because I took her to check out one of those traveling carnivals that set up in the mall parking lot. We didn't go in, but just walked to the perimeter to watch and listen to all the action, which was crazy and loud. At first she was jumping around on the leash a little. We backed up a few feet and she looked at me for a second, then just turned and calmly took it all in. Great dog!

·
Registered
332 Posts
Thanks, I seem to forget that this a process! I was really proud of her yesterday because I took her to check out one of those traveling carnivals that set up in the mall parking lot. We didn't go in, but just walked to the perimeter to watch and listen to all the action, which was crazy and loud. At first she was jumping around on the leash a little. We backed up a few feet and she looked at me for a second, then just turned and calmly took it all in. Great dog!
You should get a sound socialization cd to play at home, so she will get used to fireworks, gunshots, baby's crying etc....gradually increase the volume over time.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Can I put it on and leave? ;)
That's a great idea, I've used a thunder CD (because I live in Santa Fe and we have NO rain), but the fireworks would be especially helpful. We've got the baby crying down (niece), and one of our hikes is close to a firing range, so she's fine with that too. (We had a retriever who became gunshy after spending a summer with 2 gunshy dogs, even though she had hunted with my dad for 2 years, and my dad was devastated.)

Please let me know if you can think of other sounds I should work on! Thanks

·
Registered
332 Posts
Can I put it on and leave? ;)
That's a great idea, I've used a thunder CD (because I live in Santa Fe and we have NO rain), but the fireworks would be especially helpful. We've got the baby crying down (niece), and one of our hikes is close to a firing range, so she's fine with that too. (We had a retriever who became gunshy after spending a summer with 2 gunshy dogs, even though she had hunted with my dad for 2 years, and my dad was devastated.)

Please let me know if you can think of other sounds I should work on! Thanks
This video is very good -

Police sirens is another one and lightning....machines. Glass smashing, other dogs....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts