German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I posted recently about the very annoying barking small dogs next door. We have a privacy fence between the yards. They jump against the fence barking, growling when we are out. It doesn't matter if the dogs are out or not, they do it at us also. Tess ( my oldest) is getting very worked up, if she hears them she heads for that area to bark and growl back. She honestly looks and sounds awful. We've been very diligent about calling her off, even to the point of not letting her in that portion of the yard if they are out. I headed out back tonight to do some gardening, they started up immediately and Tess took a few steps that way. I called her, she returned to the other side of the yard and never went near them. I was in the garden for about an hour, as I was cleaning up to go in I noticed one of the yappers had dug a hole under the fence and was squeezing under. I took mine to the house, put them in. Told the neighbor her dog was in my yard, and also that if that happens when mine are back there I don't know what will happen. She said oh well, whatever happens its her dogs fault. I had already placed decent sized rocks against the fence where they had dug before. I just don't want my dog to hurt another one, but this is just a mess waiting to happen. I just can't believe her attitude or that allowing dogs to bark incessantly is being a decent neighbor. Thanks for the vent. Ideas are welcome.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Have you contacted someone about a noise nuisance? I would be extremely worried about my dog hurting a small dog burrowing under the fence. That is so not okay! I try to be proactive instead of acting after the fact, so my first thought is to contact someone locally who would know the laws and might be able to give you some suggestions, especially some ideas on what may happen legally if the dog gets in your yard and gets killed.

Animal control may be a good place to go. At the very least they could probably give your neighbor a warning and it will be on record that your dog is not the problem if something does happen.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Contact animal control for guidance. They may say you'll need a number of documented police report. If the police dont do an official police report get the call number the officer was called out on for documentation. Or just ask them to do a police report because animal control asks for it before they start doing anything.

I was a police officer for a while before I went back active army. Honestly, I hated going on calls about neighbors and they're dogs unless a crime was committed. I would always provide them with the number to animal control.

It sucks, i know but I'd hate it if your dog was euthanized for killing the neighbors dog.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Have you considered one of those motion activated sprinklers? Idk if your fence is solid. I'd consider a hose as well. It seems your neighbor could not careless about the dog so maybe if the dog gets sprayed everytime it acts like a jerk it might help. This must be incredibly miserable. It would drive me nuts. Sorry

·
Super Moderator
5,872 Posts
I would also start by calling animal control to see what they recommend.Another thing you might consider as a preventive is to purchase a couple of bundles of wooden stakes to drive into the ground along the fence line.Of course you shouldn't have to but just a thought....

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Yes, I agree with contacting animal control. It isn't fair that you might be on the hook if this dog gets hurt or killed for digging under your fence!

Almost all municipalities have regulations about barking dogs.

·
Registered
31,836 Posts
What would be awesome is if you could get a spray bottle of skunk scent. Dog comes in your yard, nail it with the skunk scent. People go to bring their dog in, and they have something to deal with. Happens a couple of times and they will get that fence fixed.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
What would be awesome is if you could get a spray bottle of skunk scent. Dog comes in your yard, nail it with the skunk scent. People go to bring their dog in, and they have something to deal with. Happens a couple of times and they will get that fence fixed.

Skunk spray, or predator pee...it all smells horrid. But I like the way you think!

·
Registered
773 Posts
I agree with others here....I'd call AC and try to get an officer to your house.....show them the fence....tell them what's happened so far.....guessing they can't do anything now ...other than maybe talk to the neighbor.....even though she"said" it would be on her if one of her dogs got into your yard...she'll deny that when one of hers' is hurt or dead....in todays' world the GSD will be at fault simply because of breed perception.....don't take a "wait and see" position trying to be a good neighbor.....get something on record and documented....now

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Along with the rest of the good suggestions, you could approach your neighbor from the perspective that her dog's are damaging your property and the integrity of your fence. I would do this very diplomatically just to try to keep a sense of being a good neighbor.

I have a neighbor whose little one was getting loose 2-3 time per week running in the street, sometimes my yard. I finally had a chance to speak with the owner, she knows my dog. Made several suggestions to help her figure out a plan to keep hers from bolting out the door, but all the suggestions she said weren't doable and basically said the same thing, if her dog came in our yard and got hurt it was on her. The conversation was neighborly and I thought that life would go on seeing this pup and eventually getting run over. But, somehow something got through to her and I haven't seen that pup loose since.

Maybe your neighbor is mulling over the actual consequences. Maybe helping her see that her dog isn't just being nuisance but is being destructive.

Kudos to you for training yours to ignor.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the tips and ideas. I am going to call the dog warden so they'll be aware. Even though the privacy fence is solid I've thought of spraying them with the hose through the boards. I think enough will get through, then move onto other sprays if that doesn't work. We are actively looking for a new home in the country without neighbors, I'm just over it but until then I need to be proactive. I do have extra pavers I'll probably line the whole flipping fence and hopefully just have to deal with the barking issue. I can call the police on her, we do have barking laws. I'll ask her first to keep them quiet. It makes me crazy that I even have to, why don't people just get it on their own?

·
Registered
31,836 Posts
Thanks for the tips and ideas. I am going to call the dog warden so they'll be aware. Even though the privacy fence is solid I've thought of spraying them with the hose through the boards. I think enough will get through, then move onto other sprays if that doesn't work. We are actively looking for a new home in the country without neighbors, I'm just over it but until then I need to be proactive. I do have extra pavers I'll probably line the whole flipping fence and hopefully just have to deal with the barking issue. I can call the police on her, we do have barking laws. I'll ask her first to keep them quiet. It makes me crazy that I even have to, why don't people just get it on their own?
LOL, please do not move next to me. I get it, my dogs bark. They bark when I do not get my butt out of bed to feed them at the proper time. They bark when I get home. Whenever I get home (usually between 2AM and 4AM). They bark when my neighbors let their dogs out. They bark when my neighbors go to work. But they do not bark constantly. They DO bark to let me know someone who doesn't belong exists.

But they can be loud.

When my neighbor was selling their house, I thought it would take them years. It took them days. A vet tech from my vet's office bought the house, but there were other offers. Kind of kool, because my previous neighbors were great neighbors and good friends. I would have hated it if they had trouble selling their house because of my critters.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I've had the same problem... the neighbours behind us have two staffies, who would go absolutely mental any time we were in the garden, never mind the dog in the garden. They would throw themselves at the fence and bark and growl and just be totally crazy. They started to damage the fence, a hole was appearing. Luckily once I spoke to them about the issue they were very proactive... they put some timber poles and plant pots in the way so the dogs can't reach the fence any more. If they hadn't been so quick to do something about it I would have gone to the Council to lay a complaint about nuisance dogs... I mean we couldn't even sit outside and have a coffee without the dogs losing the plot. We don't hear them any more, they are very quick to call them in if they start barking.

·
4,501 Posts
LOL, please do not move next to me. I get it, my dogs bark. They bark when I do not get my butt out of bed to feed them at the proper time. They bark when I get home. Whenever I get home (usually between 2AM and 4AM). They bark when my neighbors let their dogs out. They bark when my neighbors go to work. But they do not bark constantly. They DO bark to let me know someone who doesn't belong exists.

But they can be loud.

When my neighbor was selling their house, I thought it would take them years. It took them days. A vet tech from my vet's office bought the house, but there were other offers. Kind of kool, because my previous neighbors were great neighbors and good friends. I would have hated it if they had trouble selling their house because of my critters.

Glad it worked out. My next door neighbor has an old-gal GSD, very nice girl. She used to like to quietly visit with my big-boy through the fence. My gal-dog, on the other hand, barks and barks at theirs. Our neighbor's dog loves the excitement. She actually gives a bark to call to my pair when she comes out. BUT I try to discourage it on my side. My gal just gets too ramped up.

Also my two like to let the deer know not to come near. When I started taking them out at 4:30 in the morning, they would bark at the woods. My neighbor eventually message me with a "please don't let them bark that early in the morning" request. "Absolutely" I wrote back, "you should have said something sooner". Their house isn't exactly on top of ours and I had no idea that it was waking them up. Glad she mentioned it.

All that being said I am in favor of that awkward conversation. Face to face if you can. Written down if need be. Document incidents in a notebook, consistently. The consistency of notes may make a difference if an official has to get involved. It did in one case I had (not dog related).

·
Registered
1,758 Posts

·
Registered
7,255 Posts
Did not read all this but hoping your neighbor would put a fence if you seriously asked and tell them your plan if they do not. Our neighbors dog a big St. Bernard would come up on our property which is woods in front of their house. My dogs would ape sh** when the St. Bernard came on our property up to our fence line and the 180lb St. Bernard would just laugh at them - it would drive the shepherds up the wall. My dogs are territorial and if any dog or person goes on or near their property they will bark! I can call them away. The girlfriend would have to drag their dog away very apologetically and we were told they were putting up a fence on their property and they did so. We have nice neighbors and did not even have to ask. Now their dog can not go up in our property to our natural fence line and still have a nice buffer of beautiful trees between us -where everyone can enjoy their property and dogs. In the real estate world i was told it’s something to be noted if neighbors have gsds because they are known to be barkers if people pass by lol some people don’t like to hear dogs barking or kids playing or laughing I heard it all.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

But they can be loud.

These two are constant, and mine will bark if someone comes to the door, a squirrel taunts, but they don't continue. I tell them to stop and they do. Besides these dogs barking we hear the owner yelling "Stop it Molly" all day. :surprise:

·
Registered
31,836 Posts
These two are constant, and mine will bark if someone comes to the door, a squirrel taunts, but they don't continue. I tell them to stop and they do. Besides these dogs barking we hear the owner yelling "Stop it Molly" all day. :surprise:
See, that is why I do not make a huge effort to shut my dogs up. When I get home, after each one greets me in their specific way, I go in, and they shut up and go to sleep. They are pretty quiet really.

But if there is a Bear in the front yard sorting through my week's garbage, they will put up one heck of a racket. And it would be a lot more annoying if there was a human voice, shouting, "Ramona! Shut Up! Lassie, Don't make me get my stick! Cujo, PRONG COLLAR!!!! Dammit Bear, Shut the BLEEEEP up!!!! Quinnie, get your baloney butt in the house this minute!"

No, my dogs would be like hyperbole and a half's dogs, "Oh, she's making noise!, We like noise! We make noise too!"

So my neighbors either think I am the most inconsiderate person on the planet or that I sleep like a rock (both true). But the dogs shut up a lot faster if I don't add to the din. And, giving a command that I can't enforce is not a sign of good leadership. If I am out there doing the morning work, and someone is being annoying, I will say, "Milla, is that you? knock that off, you're going to bloat!" or "Ramona??? Is that you making that racket?" The thing is, I can enforce things when I am out there.

I almost dropped dead from shock when I told Quinnie, "Quinn! You go in the house and be good!" and she did, she went right through the doggy door and did not come out for several minutes. She went in and was good.

That was ALMOST as good as when the state boy came to my door about the car in the neighbor's ditch, and my dogs are all barking and acting crazy, and finally, I turned, and said, "ENOUGH!!!" And you could hear a pin drop. The state boy looked at me, and they stayed quiet until after he left, and the whole time I'm thinking that someone was going to start everyone up again. But they didn't. That was WAY kool.

What people need to know is that I really am no trainer at all. I take puppies to puppy classes, and usually take the young dog through another set of classes, enough to get a title on them. Somehow Quinnie placed in all three title legs in December. That was her doing, not mine. That she stayed like that for me, while we ate at the show, I was flabbergasted.

Mostly I let them train me, and I give them commands I know they can do, and will do, and it looks all impressive, but it really isn't. I'm just pretty well-trained. And, I have a relationship with each of them. I generally know what to expect from them, and sometimes I am pleasantly surprised by them. But I don't go yelling into the night trying to shush them.

·
Registered
52 Posts
We have a new neighbor who was allowing their dogs to roam and one of the dogs continuously came onto our property (we have large lots with no fences). After it happening a number of times and on one occasion their dog getting into our house and wigging out my GSD puppy (this dog is the main reason my GSD now has dog aggression), and only after I yelled at her high school age teenage son to get his dog off MY deck on yet another occasion, she came over to yell at me, about yelling at her kid. Not to apologize for her dog being on my property all the time, but for yelling at her kid, who I mistook for a young adult anyway, you can't even make this up. By that point we had enough and had already called the police anyway. I'm sure they paid her a visit because she soon after put up an e-fence and the dogs aren't ever outside their yard anymore.

Call the police right away and at least file a report. Then I'd second the skunk spray, it will probably make those small dogs thick twice about shoving their faces under the fence again.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts