German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to put down my GSD Banjo a month ago. Also been kinda scarce on the 'net in general over the last year or so. All myfriends know I'm a psycho dog-guy and I keep my dogginess in check around other people. I can cut loose on a GSD forum however.

Everyone at work knows that Banjo's passing really tore me down. A couple broke up (who work with me) and their GSD is a causality of the breakup. They want me to take the dog. Seven month old female GSD, housebroken and that's about it. After a good deal of soul searching I have agreed to take her.

First thing, name. I'm going with Dunsparrow. If anyone has read Malazan Book of the Fallen, you'll remember that Whiskeyjack's younger sister is named Dunsparrow. WJ is an extreme badarse, his sister is just like him. So there is that.

I really wanted another B&T male, but who am I to argue with fate? This little girl is black with socks, short coat. I've met her once when she was just a wee little thing. I suspect I have a bit of a challenge in that the level of dog care was...er....sporadic. She'll thrive here. This house is dog-centric, I growl more than I speak anyway. I have a calm and collected Malinois, and that's saying something eh? She's patiently guarding my back right now, happy as a clam for the simple fact that I am nearby.

I think having an off the hook GSD pup is the very medicine I need. I see Banjo in everything here at home. Seeing a youngster bounce off the walls will certainly redirect my thoughts some.

Doggie door, fenced in yard. Grain free diet supplemented with fresh beef and pork. Two rivers walking distance from my front door, uber-quiet rural microfarm for a GSD. She's gonna be bouncing into a doggie nirvana.

See? I just wanted to ramble a bit. Non-(psycho)-dog people just don't get it and psycho-dog people do.

Kinda want a horse too......

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
I was devestated when I lost my first dog Alex a few years ago, honestly getting a puppy while hard at first did help heal some of the pain. It sounds like she'll have a wonderful home with you. Treasure your memories of Banjo but remember to not compare the two, I found myself doing that alot and it wasn't until I stopped that I realized how miserable I was making myself when looking at the new puppy.

Post photos of the new cutie and talk away, we all love talking about our dogs more then a little ;) lol

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
You're in the right place :)

And it sounds as if Dunsparrow will be, as well!

·
Premium Member
7,820 Posts
Iam so sorry to hear of your los of Banjo. Lost Daisy last year ,adopted two ten year old GSD sisters from Baltimore and while I still miss my Daisy girl these two lasses keep me and the Lucky boy busy. I think the youngster will definitely love your nirvana. I' m glad to see you posting again. Cant wait to hear all about your adventures w/ the new girl.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've had a few dogs, I'm fairly old. Britany Spaniel(bird dog, man he loved to hunt), Border collie/german mix, and some Corgi-type thing. Banjo was my first GSD and he and I just CLICKED. He was so regal and had a presence about him. Until he was alone with me, then he was the goofiest idiot on the planet. We both just unwound into each other, we understood each other.

Granted I did a whole lot of reading and studying of dog behaviors once I had a GSD running around the house. Banjo opened up some neural pathways in my brain that book learning just wasn't going to do. His ability to communicate his needs/desires to me helped immensely. He was my Rosetta stone for dog behavior. The more I learned from him the better I could structure our interaction. He TALKED to me, not vocally of course but he made it crystal clear for the dum-dum human. My Mal is wicked high drive ex-police, and she's as cool as a cucumber right now. I'm not a whisperer by any means, but I have gained the insight to listen to my dogs because of Banjo. Knowing what I know now, I am very excited to have fresh canine in the home.It'll make the new dog's life easier, mine easier and I'm aglow with anticipation for what I might be able to coax out of a "fresh-slate" GSD.

He changed my views on training, on social needs and wants. I used to view training as coercion. Banjo showed me that being a useful member of the warped pack that humans and dogs create isn't coercion but the dog filling a niche that makes them comfortable. I learned from him that structure is the touchstone for high energy/drive dogs. Give them something to do that makes you both happy and let them do it as hard as their doggie hearts desire and you have an animal that changes your mind and heart.

I also learned that since dogs live for such a short period that it pays to make every minute count. I won't be taking any long trips in which the dogs can't go. I wanna see Paris someday, but oil paintings just don't hold a candle to a good dog. I won't be wasting any time with people that don't want my dogs around. If my dogs aren't welcome....well that means I'm not either.

It might sound extreme, but living with Banjo and having lost him has forced me to look at my life. My girlfriend says I am more relaxed in recent days. She said my smile is back, tho I still get weepy at the drop of a hat. All this because of a dog. A good dog.

·
Registered
10,469 Posts
We all know here how hard it is to lose a dog. Most no-dog people assume you'll be over it in a few days; NOT! You never forget the old saintly dogs and you need to talk about their passing until they have settled in that corner of your heart.
Make sure the two females will get along. Trial period possible? And of course, get that horse as well :)

·
Registered
4,554 Posts
Many times the dog that "shows up at your doorstep" will be the dog which was always intended for you but took a while to finally arrive.

Don't know how or why....I just know you are about to go on a wonderful journey with a new friend.

Enjoy,

SuperG

·
Registered
1,661 Posts

I also learned that since dogs live for such a short period that it pays to make every minute count. I won't be taking any long trips in which the dogs can't go. I wanna see Paris someday, but oil paintings just don't hold a candle to a good dog. I won't be wasting any time with people that don't want my dogs around. If my dogs aren't welcome....well that means I'm not either...
This was my favorite phrase.

My husband used to get all fussy when I'd say I wanted to take Finn and Chey with us if we were going out to dog friendly places; no reason to not have the dogs with us if we're just going to go on a walk through the woods or through the neighborhood. Once Chey passed and that void was created for him (Cheyenne was his girl, a tri color Collie), he wanted Finn to go everywhere with us and he's usually the one saying, "Come on, let's go for a ride." while grabbing Finn's leash and walking out the door.

And yes, if you don't like dogs, our house isn't the place to be.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We all know here how hard it is to lose a dog. Most no-dog people assume you'll be over it in a few days; NOT! You never forget the old saintly dogs and you need to talk about their passing until they have settled in that corner of your heart.
Make sure the two females will get along. Trial period possible? And of course, get that horse as well :)
Peppy (the Mal) is so bizarrely confident and unshakable I foresee little to no issue. She will posture some and maybe get a tad mouthy but in the end her main goal is play, play, play. She was all out of sorts for a few days after Banjo left, I was worried and panicking some trying to keep her occupied. She's back to her routine and when the training Kong comes out all that is there is the old hyper-kinetic bundle of muscle.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
My Cody was my soulmate, I lost him in sept. I cryed and cryed. The people at work probably thought I was a nut walking around with swollen eyes. I miss and cry for him still. Like you said, we just clicked from the day I brought him home. His personality just filled the house. He made me smile just to see him, he was my special bridge in this world. He was a free spirit. Clipper is his brother, from the same litter, and I love Clipper too, but for how Clipper is. Cody taught me so much, and some of those lessons toward the end of his life are now helping with Clipper. He is still lookin out for his brother and best buddy. I know soon they will be reunited at the bridge, but both of them put changes for the better in my life. They are/were my first gsds too.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Kinda been banging around the idea of a cat too. Those Bengals look like mighty fine felines, playful and athletic. The doggie door presents an issue tho, as where I live "stray cat" is code for "sighting in a scope". I don't know what it is about this area but killing things (bears, raccoon, rabbits...etc) is a hotly pursued pastime. I'd feel bad kneecapping someone over my dead cat. Eh.

The horse tho, I have the land, I have a barn. I could configure the guest bedroom to allow for a horse head poking in, how cool would that be?

Me: Hang on gotta go feed the horsey-hoo.
Guest: Okay.
Me: *gets up and goes in guest room*
Guest: Thought you were going to feed the horse.
Me: I did.
Guest: :0

I've never ridden. I've mucked and taken care of horses for a summer job when growing up. Really liked their strong personalities and the fact a prey animal could bond like that. They seem pretty bright too. It's a big step, I know jack about horses really.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Sounds like she was meant to come to you then. But I'm a firm believer that the pets who leave us always send the next one to help heal our hearts. Paw picked by them if you'd like. Was just waiting for the right time. We had Riley put to sleep back in February. Dax came home to us last month. The fact Dax was available pretty much fell into my lap. Couldn't pass him up. I wish you lots of luck and have fun with her!

·
Registered
36 Posts
brembo...

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. My sweet black lab Shadow passed away January 5. I still miss him dearly. It is like losing a piece of your heart.

I thought I would not be able to get another dog, but then we saw Cooper in February. It was definitely meant to be and perhaps a bit of "I swear he was sent to us." While Shadow will never be replaced, I have fallen in love with Cooper. It sounds like this pup needs you.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Sounds like she was meant to come to you then. But I'm a firm believer that the pets who leave us always send the next one to help heal our hearts. Paw picked by them if you'd like. Was just waiting for the right time. We had Riley put to sleep back in February. Dax came home to us last month. The fact Dax was available pretty much fell into my lap. Couldn't pass him up. I wish you lots of luck and have fun with her!
Yes!!! I believe this, too. When my first GSD (Dante) passed away, I was so heartbroken. A year later we rescued Shadow and it was as if we knew him already. We only had 5 short years together. He passed away in January and a short month later we rescued Cooper. And again, when we met him he was so familiar. I can't explain it any other way.

Sorry to hear of your loss. It is so hard... they become our babies.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Kinda want a horse too......
Don't get a horse, get a pony. I have one that you can have, no really! ;)

Seriously, if you haven't owned a horse, they are horribly, horribly expensive and a lot of work. I'd recommend part boarding if you want to feel it out. Just paying for spring shots and tooth floatings for two equines this spring cost me $1000, and that doesn't include feed or bedding (I keep mine at home)

Maybe just try adding one animal at a time for now? lol Bengals are not like your typical domestic cat, they are actually quite a bit of work, usually.

You new pup sounds like a bi-colour? Sounds like fun! Why not give it a go? She may help fill the void (not replace!) left by your Banjo's passing and it would give her a new home. It's too bad the couple that split up couldn't have kept her, one person or the other. She won't understand why they left her. :(

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
:hugs: I was wondering where you'd gone.... I'm so sorry to hear of Banjo's passing...it sounds like this situation with this pup was meant to be for sure. What a wonderful life you'll be giving her :)

You'll still see Banjo in everything, but it'll be in a different way. Maybe you will have another dog some day who "clicks" with you the way he did, or maybe you won't. I really hope you do, though.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Thank God you are saving this dog from her past home. It sounds like it was not ideal. Get her to vet soon in case they forgot about vaccines or something. I have not lost a dog yet, Fiona is only one year old. I hope I never do, because it sounds like it is miserable. Fiona and I do not have that click thing, probably because we are both buttheads. Maybe we do, but I don't know it since she is my first dog.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 17 of 17 Posts