German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Actually, in my experimenting, Grimmi has enjoy turkey drumsticks. LOVED them!! Only issue was sometimes he would the following morning vomit up the knobby end. If I try the turkey drums at some point, I shall whack 'em at the end with a hammer.

I can get lovely big containers of 3 chicken legs. (What kinda chickens in Deutschland has THREE legs??) I just can't get chicken necks, backs, quarters or seasonings-free wings.

Maedchen, potatoes for the first week or so will help against diarrhea? Maybe that is not a bad idea.

LOL GrandJan, clean up on floor 12 indeed!
Can I do roughly 50/50 like Tracy does? Will it be enough bone? Are all RMBs created equal under God?

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Originally Posted By: BrightelfCan I do roughly 50/50 like Tracy does? Will it be enough bone? Are all RMBs created equal under God?
A tough question about being equal. I will say no. Chicken backs and wings and necks, for example, have very little meat on them. Legs and thighs, however, have a lot of meat but are still considered RMBs. If you use the turkey necks, up the MM. If you use legs, thighs, and/or quarters, they can almost become a meal in themselves.

Did I confuse you more? Defer to Tracy - he knows more and has a much better way with words!

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Patti, I have found that the amout of RMB is really based on each dog (my male needs more MM than my female to have good poop) and what type of RMB's you are feeding. Chicken quarters have more meat on them than say, turkey necks - so I actually feed less than 50% RMB when using turkey necks (that is what works for my dogs) but over 50% RMB when using chicken quarters. My female is about 50/50 for turkey necks, MM. So, it really just depends (at least for me).

So, I would figure out which RMB you are going to buy first and then just start at 60/40 or 50/50 and see what happens. Then, go from there. I think once you do it, you'll realize it isn't as hard as it seems to be. I think if you start with some of the meal plans you have been given you will be just fine! It is really one of those things that you learn what works for your dog as you go.

Do you have a kitchen scale? - I think that would come in handy for you when you are starting out (in fact, I still use mine...I just find it easier).

Oh, and I use the same scientific method as Tracy!

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Thanks Jan and MSpiker! Yup, I have a kitchen scale. Looks like it deployed right off of The Starship Enterprise.. got buttons and displays and lights and stuff, plus it beeps. Germans LOVE toys that tell them that they are functioning!

I think I will use the scale for the first month until I can 'eyeball' it like everybuddy else.

I can hardly wait for the day I can walk Grimm to a stinky fish market, buy him a (whatever kinda fish raw-feeding folks give), and call it dinnah!

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Quote: I think I will use the scale for the first month until I can 'eyeball' it like everybuddy else.
Although I "eyeball" the ratio of RMB to MM, I do actually weigh every meal to the ounce. Others, I know, are able to do that by eyeball too...but I do weigh.

·
Registered
9,651 Posts
I don't know what ratio I feed. I just try and do what works best for Risa. Most of the people I talk to on Dogster feed 80:10:10 and there's no way that would work for Risa. She'd have so much running out the other end. . .

I try to keep her RMBs really meaty. Turkey thighs, chicken thighs, chicken quarters, etc. Occasionally I will feed more boney RMBs like pork ribs (and turkey necks/backs if I get them). Ris tends to do better when given more bone and has gotten a bit runny when I've alternated RMB days with just MM days. So I will give her 2 or 3 meals a week that are strictly MM only at the most. It's one of those 'know thy dog' situations. And one of the best parts of the raw diet--the ability to modify it to fit your dog's needs.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Patti,

If you are worried about diarrhea during your transition to raw, Olewo carrots will also help to firm up the stool. As an added bonus, they also help with the coat, skin problems and digestion. You can get them at most pet stores in Germany. Also, you may be able to find canned pumkin (kurbis the u with the dots over it) at the Edeka at the E center on Oskar-von Miller-Str. 6; off of JFK Ring.

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Jamie, I guess I will start him with about 50/50.. and hope?

AaronW, I will try to find canned pumpkin at Edeka. Sounds like you were at the army base here?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Yes, I was stationed at Conn Barracks for 6 years. I lived in Eselhoehe just down the street from the animal park, loved it there I am quite jealous.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Also, this helped me transition my dog. I fasted her for almost two days before switching off to RAW from kibble. It was the only thing that worked to avoid the runs... get all the kibble out of the system.

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Aaron, maybe you will return to visit sometime? Did you feed your dogs raw here, by the way?

Nat, really.. what a great idea. I hadn't heard that suggested before! Okay, maybe I can fast him for ONE day.... I don't think *I* could hold out fasting him for two!
That really avoids the runs?

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Many raw feeders regularly fast their dogs one day a week, believing that dogs in the wild would not eat every day. I would only fast my dogs if one of them had a tummy upset, but that's just personal preference.

Fasting Grimm for a day before he starts raw is not a bad idea - it will help to rid him of all the leftover traces of kibble.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Silly question re: raw diet

Where in the house do u feed your dogs the raw meat? Doesn't it make a bloody mess on the floor?

Warmly
Doreen

21 - 33 of 33 Posts