German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys! Caesar is about 18 weeks old and is doing well....except for the darn landsharking....I’m the one that needs the encouragement!!! I’m feeling overwhelmed ....trying to take things one minute at a time. Is it normal to not enjoy this process??? I feel I should be thrilled having this handsome thriving puppy but I’m exhausted and just feeling blah. Crate training is going well but sooooo boring and routine. We can’t really do things that involve going in the car b/c he always pukes....vet wants to wait on giving any meds while we work on taking him on trips around the block or just sit in the car for awhile each day.....I agree I don’t want to medicate unless we absolutely have to.
Anyway, is it normal to feel like this? I feel like I should be happy and carefree with this little guy.....open to any and all advice!!!

·
Registered
813 Posts
What are you considering medicating the puppy for ?

Or do you mean routine shots?

This is all very very normal puppy behavior and it’s totally fine/normal to feel overwhelmed. Keep at it and next thing you know it will be over.

·
Registered
307 Posts
The process is enjoyable when the pup shows me he's learned what I've trained, NOT enjoyable when he decides at 18 weeks to ignore the commands.
The process is enjoyable when the pup can finally jump on his own into the car for a ride, NOT enjoyable when he barks, growls and bites for 10 minutes as I try to put the safety harness on.
The process is enjoyable when the pup shows me he's learned what I've trained, NOT enjoyable when he decides at 18 weeks to ignore the commands.
The process is enjoyable when the pup comes over to engage me in tug play, NOT enjoyable when he decides that biting my feet and shoes is the funnest play of all.

At 18 weeks I have put in lots of training time, play time, and discipline. My husband takes care of most of the get-up-at-0 dark thirty to take the dog out, and some play time. At 18 weeks, it is pretty clear that Boon likes my husband better. I'm like "whatever, just please stop biting me every time I touch you."

It's SO normal. It's gotta be.

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
Hi guys! Caesar is about 18 weeks old and is doing well....except for the darn landsharking....I’m the one that needs the encouragement!!! I’m feeling overwhelmed ....trying to take things one minute at a time. Is it normal to not enjoy this process??? I feel I should be thrilled having this handsome thriving puppy but I’m exhausted and just feeling blah. Crate training is going well but sooooo boring and routine. We can’t really do things that involve going in the car b/c he always pukes....vet wants to wait on giving any meds while we work on taking him on trips around the block or just sit in the car for awhile each day.....I agree I don’t want to medicate unless we absolutely have to.
Anyway, is it normal to feel like this? I feel like I should be happy and carefree with this little guy.....open to any and all advice!!!
Experiment with different positions in the car. Some animals respond to not seeing out the windows. I had one that struggled with being in the back of my caliber but was fine when I slide the crate right up behind my seat. And a good many pups suffer motion sickness but grow out of it.
I think a large part of the struggle people have with pups is that we overthink. It's a dog. It's purpose is to enrich our lives, so enjoy the puppy as a puppy. If you are busy, put the darn thing up for a bit. A yard that you have eyes on or a crate or room. Whatever. We seem to have given people the impression that they need to entertain 24/7. Don't. It is healthy for pups to spend time amusing themselves, just like kids. I maintain that pups and children can only be enjoyed on their level. Some of my best memories are of building mud puddles and splashing in them with the kids and pups. My son and I crawled on our bellies through the jungle, aka the yard, with Sabs watching for snakes. (My son was 4, Sabi was about 1 and snakes were scary I guess). The hose was a waterfall, the parking spot a cave, you get the picture. Have fun.

·
Premium Member
7,820 Posts
Hang in there. Land sharking will stop . One of our shepherd Lucky loved going in the car and was great to travel with except he barfed . Luck loved the car. We only gave meds as a last resort . Just managed trips and timed out the meals. He didn't mind his safety harness. I think your idea of putting him in the car just to get used to it is great. Short trips no more then 15 minutes one way. Its been a long time since I had a baby puppy but remember those days. Keep training and you will have a great dog to share your life with.

Reactions: tc68

·
Registered
856 Posts
The process is enjoyable when the pup can finally jump on his own into the car for a ride, NOT enjoyable when he barks, growls and bites for 10 minutes as I try to put the safety harness on.
The process is enjoyable when the pup comes over to engage me in tug play, NOT enjoyable when he decides that biting my feet and shoes is the funnest play of all.

At 18 weeks I have put in lots of training time, play time, and discipline. My husband takes care of most of the get-up-at-0 dark thirty to take the dog out, and some play time. At 18 weeks, it is pretty clear that Boon likes my husband better. I'm like "whatever, just please stop biting me every time I touch you."

It's SO normal. It's gotta be.
Well said, [email protected]. You described exactly what is going with my 13.5 week old right now. He's my 2nd GSD puppy. The 1st one wasn't as bad as this current one. I'm with y'all. Sometimes, we just need a little affirmation that this "bad" behavior will end. I keep in touch with 2 owners of my pup's littermates. They're going through the same thing. It's definitely comforting to know that you're not the only one and that you didn't get a "devil" dog. So to CaesarJoy, hang in there.

·
Registered
160 Posts
The landshark phase is hard I felt so overwhelmed when Zeus was that age. He is now 8 1/2 months and it’s a lot better. Now we are in the teenage phase!!!! Sometimes I wonder if he even remembers his training. I ask him to sit and he lays down I ask him to go to his place and he sits LOL!!!! I also know this shall pass.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Well said, [email protected]. You described exactly what is going with my 13.5 week old right now. He's my 2nd GSD puppy. The 1st one wasn't as bad as this current one. I'm with y'all. Sometimes, we just need a little affirmation that this "bad" behavior will end. I keep in touch with 2 owners of my pup's littermates. They're going through the same thing. It's definitely comforting to know that you're not the only one and that you didn't get a "devil" dog. So to CaesarJoy, hang in there.
It happens. I’m an experienced owner. But I have done a lot of rescuing, where the problems are different. Most of that is retraining vs starting from scratch. Also my most recent puppies were older when I got them, both breeder and rescue, 12-16 weeks. So not only didn’t I go through that baby month, they spent more time with litter mates or being fostered and were already past all that. Then I got a high drive, mouthy WL 8 week old and started feeling like the worst handler ever. He turned 2, gradually matured into his drive and suddenly I have the most wonderful dog ever. The difference between this dog and previous is that for a lot of reasons, I had to work with a private trainer for a year. Then I graduated into the trainer’s small group classes. So I skipped all that fumbly beginning obedience class training and worked instead on working type skills. When it all came together, we were already doing advanced level work. It makes a difference. If you have to spend more time working with difficult dogs, your skills improve and your dogs learn more.

·
Registered
10,059 Posts
Griff today seemed to have turned a corner at almost 4 months old. He gets our family, understands some grey noise even, no accidents since several weeks and time loose in the house increased. He has started to fetch and I am really enjoying his older puppy hood now. Hang in there, before you know it you have a second one (don't ;) )

·
Registered
856 Posts
Griff today seemed to have turned a corner at almost 4 months old. He gets our family, understands some grey noise even, no accidents since several weeks and time loose in the house increased. He has started to fetch and I am really enjoying his older puppy hood now. Hang in there, before you know it you have a second one (don't ;) )
Thanks Wolfy dog, that's the kind of thing I need to hear....that for you, the "corner turning" was at 4 months old. I'm only a couple weeks behind you. Mine will be 14 weeks old tomorrow. Hopefully, he will turn the corner soon. I want to start enjoying this puppy stage and not wishing he'd grow up faster so I wouldn't have to deal with the biting and the peeing indoors.

·
Registered
10,059 Posts
The peeing indoors doesn't have anything to do with puppy development; it is training and management. The more they get the chance to do this, the harder it is to break the (possibly ingrained) habit. I am OCD about house training. So far 3 accidents (better call them: bloopers on my part) since he set foot in the house at 10 weeks.
Block his access to spots where he peed or pooped in the house. You can also feed him or sprinkle treats on these spots. Don't trust him when you think he gets it. I don't trust them fully until they are about 9 months old. Play and work him in any area he will have access to as an adult so he will consider these areas 'the den' to be kept clean. Enjoy your puppy; they are crazy, adorable creatures.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts