German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I find myself possibly needing to switch my 2 year old GSD to a sensitive stomach diet. He has been having some problems with his tummy the past 2 weeks, he has seen a vet and they have him on boiled chicken and rice, a few antibiotics and FortiFlora. Since he was starting to get better the vet told me to start switching back to his kibble (Nutro Ultra), he had that for dinner one night and breakfast the next day, until he got worse again. So he is back on the meds and bland diet. She mentioned I may have just gotten a bad batch of food, but that I should think about switching to a sensitive stomach diet. I want to know what my options are, so can anyone recommend a good kibble to put him on? Thanks!

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
I recommend Solid Gold. I would try first their Hund und Flocken because it has lamb and rice which can be easier to digest for some dogs. Here is a link to the Solid Gold website that explains the different types: Solid Gold Health Products for Pets - Home

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
I like Natures Recipe easy to digest food. My dogs all do well with it. Unfortunately it has recently jumped in price so I can't afford it all the time but when I can that is what I prefer.

·
Premium Member
4,813 Posts
If she is having tummy troubles, it could be grains. I'd switch to The Honest Kitchen Zeal, which is 100% human food. This is a dehydrated food so don't let the price scare you. 10# = $106 When re-hydrated makes 40 pounds of food.
Zeal: All ingredients dehydrated: Haddock, whiting, sweet potatoes, eggs, organic coconut, organic alfalfa, apples, pumpkin, parsley, cabbage, bananas, salmon, cranberries, garlic, tricalcium phosphate, choline chloride, zinc amino acid chelate, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin E supplement, potassium iodide, potassium chloride, iron amino acid chelate, copper amino acid chelate.
Guaranteed Analysis

• Protein, 35.50%
  • Fat, 8.50%
  • Fiber, 5.80%
  • Moisture, 8.90%
  • 437 calories per cup
You could also rotate with grain free EMBARK: All Life Stages: Dehydrated cage-free USDA turkey, organic flaxseed, potatoes, celery, spinach, carrots, organic coconut, apples, organic kelp, eggs, bananas, cranberries, rosemary, tricalcium phosphate, choline chloride, zinc amino acid chelate, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin E supplement, potassium iodide, potassium chloride, iron amino acid chelate, copper amino acid chelate. [FONT=&quot]Protein, 29.0% minFat, 18.0% minFiber, 9.6% maxMoisture, 7.8% max488 Calories per cup [/FONT]. 10# = $48 and re-hydrates to make 40 pounds of food.

A digestive enzyme and pro-biotic can be a big help to her gut and overall health, allowing her to assimilate her food. This is a great high quality, mostly organic product that contains both and you just sprinkle it on her food: Digest All Plus by The Wholistic Pet Company: The Wholistic Pet

BTW, also make sure whatever you decide on that it does not contain any type of yeast which could cause more problems. Read your labels carefully.

Hope this helps! :)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I appreciate the opinions! I will definitely look into all of those options. A friend of mine recommended Blue Basics, has anyone had any experience with it?

·
Registered
93 Posts
If she is having tummy troubles, it could be grains. I'd switch to The Honest Kitchen Zeal, which is 100% human food. This is a dehydrated food so don't let the price scare you. 10# = $106 When re-hydrated makes 40 pounds of food.
Zeal: All ingredients dehydrated: Haddock, whiting, sweet potatoes, eggs, organic coconut, organic alfalfa, apples, pumpkin, parsley, cabbage, bananas, salmon, cranberries, garlic, tricalcium phosphate, choline chloride, zinc amino acid chelate, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin E supplement, potassium iodide, potassium chloride, iron amino acid chelate, copper amino acid chelate.
Guaranteed Analysis

• Protein, 35.50%
  • Fat, 8.50%
  • Fiber, 5.80%
  • Moisture, 8.90%
  • 437 calories per cup
You could also rotate with grain free EMBARK: All Life Stages: Dehydrated cage-free USDA turkey, organic flaxseed, potatoes, celery, spinach, carrots, organic coconut, apples, organic kelp, eggs, bananas, cranberries, rosemary, tricalcium phosphate, choline chloride, zinc amino acid chelate, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin E supplement, potassium iodide, potassium chloride, iron amino acid chelate, copper amino acid chelate. [FONT=&quot]Protein, 29.0% minFat, 18.0% minFiber, 9.6% maxMoisture, 7.8% max488 Calories per cup [/FONT]. 10# = $48 and re-hydrates to make 40 pounds of food.

A digestive enzyme and pro-biotic can be a big help to her gut and overall health, allowing her to assimilate her food. This is a great high quality, mostly organic product that contains both and you just sprinkle it on her food: Digest All Plus by The Wholistic Pet Company: The Wholistic Pet

BTW, also make sure whatever you decide on that it does not contain any type of yeast which could cause more problems. Read your labels carefully.

Hope this helps! :)

honest kitchen preference + meat works great if you don't mind the trouble

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
I'll make a 3rd recommendation for The Honest Kitchen, my dog likes Force, Embark and the Zeal. Very easy to prepare, I do a 1:1 ratio food to water, let sit 5 minutes and serve.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I have never used The Honest Kitchen myself, but I will chime in for that as well.

My friend's Frenchie has a very sensitive digestive tract and after running through a gamut of high quality diets over a long period of time, finally experimented The Honest Kitchen and it was the first diet on market that worked. She occasionally feeds a popular grain-free kibble as well, and has great success.

There are also many respected quality brands of dry food on the market that could work with your 2 y/o. It is just a matter of finding the one that works for your dog, because what works for one may not for another.

Good luck! Oh, and when taking your dog off the bland diet, do you do it cold turkey or slowly wean him back onto kibble? My GSD has a sensitive digestive tract too, and I wean her off the bland diet after she has showed me solid poo for at least 24 hours, usually 48 hours. Then I do the 75:25 > 50:50 > 25:75 ... while adding pro-biotics and and pumpkin. I also keep a bottle of Kaolin Pectate that I bought from the feed store for her.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I weaned him back onto his kibble, but like I said, he only had it for dinner one night and breakfast the next morning. The only thing that gets me is the fact he's been on Nutro Ultra since he was 9weeks old and has always done very well on it... Which is why I'm thinking he just got a bad batch? That fact turns me off of that food though, and I don't want to risk buying another bag. I'm wanting to try something that I can get at a retail store before I try something that has to be special ordered.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
My last girl was very food sensitive and we used the Natural Balance LID foods, not too expensive and available at most pet stores.
I feed my boy now Natures Variety (grain free)depending on where you're located in Colorado you have lots of good places to buy from.

·
Premium Member
4,813 Posts
I weaned him back onto his kibble, but like I said, he only had it for dinner one night and breakfast the next morning. The only thing that gets me is the fact he's been on Nutro Ultra since he was 9weeks old and has always done very well on it... Which is why I'm thinking he just got a bad batch? That fact turns me off of that food though, and I don't want to risk buying another bag. I'm wanting to try something that I can get at a retail store before I try something that has to be special ordered.
Put your zip code in here to see if there is a "Doggy Boutique" near you that may sell Honest Kitchen locally. Where to Buy Honest Kitchen - Honest Kitchen Stores | The Honest Kitchen A lot of them carry it!
:)

·
Registered
15 Posts
I recommend Taste of the Wild. Its grain free and my two GSD's love it. I've seen minor issues that I had on nutro go away with the switch to totw 6 months ago. My female used to itch and throw up a foam when she was eating nutro. Now everything has been great with totw. Coats look amazing and shiny and tons of energy. They like the pacific stream and high prarie blends. Taste of the wild website has a locator of the retailers near you on their website too. Good luck.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
Honest Kitchen is great, but it gets pricey as an only food. I have used it to rehab a sick dog though, and it's a terrific product.

For sensitive tummies, I think fish-based kibble tends to be better than any other protein source in kibbles, at least in my experience. I had a old dog who passed last year who came to me 10 years ago with tummy issues, and Natural Balance Fish & Sweet Potato was the only food that reliably worked for her over her lifetime. Any time I tried another one, problems started again. There are now more good brands on the market with fish-based foods than there were 10 years ago (e.g., Fromm), though.

I also think it's very important with tender-tummied GSDs to supplement digestive enzymes. It really makes a difference in settling the tummy over the long-term. I've used Prozyme for years and think it's a great value:
Amazon.com: Prozyme- 200 g: Pet Supplies

·
Registered
378 Posts
My GSD had a bad stomach for months until I came across reco's on here for Proplan Sensitive Skin & Stomach. It worked wonderfully for me.

After she was OK again, I then switched to all kinds of different foods and she does well now. I would give that a shot.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I bought a small bag of Blue Basics this afternoon, going to give that a shot. I appreciate all the input from all of you! I will keep you updated on how everything goes!

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
I am actually going through some of this now. Beau did great for almost a year on Nature's Logic on a rotation and now we are getting somewhat loose stools. Waiting to hear back if something has changed with THEIR formula.

I am feeding Force in the am at my breeder's suggestion (along with Acana Lamb and Apple) but am looking at just going to THK Zeal for awhile and see if that soothes things up. Beau is an "only dog" now it is not so bad. They are not pudding poos but they are softer than they had been.

How about the Perfect Form?

·
Premium Member
4,813 Posts
I am actually going through some of this now. Beau did great for almost a year on Nature's Logic on a rotation and now we are getting somewhat loose stools. Waiting to hear back if something has changed with THEIR formula.

I am feeding Force in the am at my breeder's suggestion (along with Acana Lamb and Apple) but am looking at just going to THK Zeal for awhile and see if that soothes things up. Beau is an "only dog" now it is not so bad. They are not pudding poos but they are softer than they had been.

How about the Perfect Form?
I think you’ll be pleased with the Zeal!
Perfect Form is great:
Papaya Leaf: Is excellent to aid in digestive disorders and is very appropriate for any disturbances of the gastrointestinal tract. It contains remarkable protein-dissolving enzymes called Papin and also breaks down carbohydrates. It is also useful in treating inflammatory bowel disorders.
Plantin: Is known to sooth the mucous membranes and facilitates healing in the lower intestinal tract.
Slippery Elm: emits a soothing quality to inflamed mucous membranes.
Organic Pumpkin Seeds: originally used in Native American medicine for the treatment of digestive, kidney and bladder problems. It contains a wide variety of antioxidant phytonutrients and is packed with panthothenic acid (B5) which breaks down carbohydrates, fats, and lipids.
Pectin (usually from apples): is high in fiber and used to regulate stool and reduce inflammation. It is an antioxidant and will promote intestinal balance.
Papin (from the Papya): is a rich source of enzymes. Controls gas and indigestion.

But the other thing you might get in addition to this is a product called “Bilex”. My Holistic Vet says that based on her experience, she does not find “plant-based” vegetarian enzymes as efficient for digestive purposes as she does animal-sourced enzymes because they are more biologically suited for animals that naturally eat other animals (carnivores). This product contains Ox Bile which helps stimulate HCI production and pepsin for digestion. It also contains Pancreatin which an animal-based enzyme providing Protease, Amylase and Lipase. You crush the tablet between two spoons. Bilex 90 Tablets by Douglas Laboratories

Hope this helps!
Moms :)

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
My pup always had issues and did ok on Fromm. So last week he got upset stomach from playing in the mud. we did rice and turkey. After he calmed down I cold switched him to his new food! just strait out TOTW salmon. It agreed with him right away and i just can't believe how well he is doing on it with all his issues. =) yay we found our food!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts