German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I need some suggestions, tips or advise. Everyday when I take Maggie for her walks. She seems to be fine at first but after a few minutes she starts to pull away from me. I am using a harness to hook the leash up to. I'm tired of pulling her away. Using the clicker seems to of no use. I usually take some treats with me to keep her happy. She continues to sniff at each and every tree we pass (which is normal for dogs). And even tries to eat things that are in the street or the ground (yuck) Then she will lay down in someone's yard for a bit, as if she's tired after 5 min of walking. Then she gets up and starts to run. This will continue everytime we go. I hear that the Gentel Leader is really good for this, is this true? :help:
Thanks

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
don't depend on a device where training is needed. find a trainer.
train and socialize everyday. be consistant in your training and
socializing.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
What have you done to train her not to pull? Most dogs will pull if you don't train them not to. If the harness is not a restrictive harness then it could actually promote pulling, from what I have read.
If you have not done any training to teach loose-lead walking, I would suggest you start with that. Only walk forward when she is not pulling, and stand like a tree as soon as the leash is taunt, but keep walking the second there is any slack in the leash. Don't confuse her by using a retractable leash or giving her the full 6 feet of a regular leash sometimes and shortening it at other times, just give her however many feet you are comfortable with and stick to that.
When you are walking and you see she is about to pull, quickly turn the other way, so you are basically zig-zagging down the road and going forward and backwards. The idea is that you never let her pull and if she does, stop immediately. Any pulling will reinforce her behavior.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Oh my, she is taking "you" for her walk :)

Just start walking with her, relaxed (you) and walking at a medium brisk pace. Don't stop whenever she is interested in sniffing, sitting, pulling, whatever. YOU are walking. Then when she walks loose leash, stop, sit, and treat.

My dogs never get to decide where we are going. I do. They learn that at a young age. Then, when they have that down, we have structured (heel, my pace, my stops) and fun, unstructured walks (on a trail or at the beach, where the environment is stimulating). But even at the beach or on the trails, I will switch from structured and unstructured walks.

Use your walks as a training time. Sit, stay, come. And when you walk, WALK :)

She will get the message. She's smart. She's just being clever with you now.

And if she balks and refuses to listen, get a Herm Sprenger Prong collar, properly fit. Try it on your thigh and you'll see it is not sharp at all. It just feels different.

Above all, keep yourself unfrustrated, relaxed and consistent.

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
I can't ever 'walk' my dogs around my neighborhood when they are puppies. They want to stay in the house yard and just won't keep MOVING so starts driving me nuts.

So I pack them in the car and drive somewhere new to do real walks, much of the time in safe places so I can have them off leash.

If I do have to keep the leash on, then for the puppies the front connecting harnesses seem to work best.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After tonight's walk I felt like I really wanted to get rid if her. She had my patience down to nothing. After I left my house we passed 2 houses she was ready for a break. She lays on the lawn for a few min and then jumps up like a ******* jumping bean or a young bunny rabbit.. hopping all over the place.I need to be the one in control not her. Then walk again then lays down. She does that every time she goes out. We really love her but the walks are out of control. I know she is still a puppy but she seems to get worse with every walk. Taking walks are not fun anymore but more of a chore. Any suggestions on a leash or a collar that will give me more control? I hear the steel prongs are good training collars and need a steardy heavy leash. My local Petco has classes but I don't care for the trainer. Not nice or friendly or helpful for suggestions she only cares for the money for the classes. Anyone else have these problems now or in the past? And what did you do about it? Sorry for the ramble.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
You might look around for other trainers. I'm thinking you need to try a different collar or harness if the one you're using doesn't help you control your dog. However, you don't HAVE to let her lie there. Just keep walking! Check out some videos on you tube teaching some of the basics of lood leash manners. You have to teach your dog how to act .. it doesn't already know ;) .

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
After tonight's walk I felt like I really wanted to get rid if her. She had my patience down to nothing. After I left my house we passed 2 houses she was ready for a break. She lays on the lawn for a few min and then jumps up like a ******* jumping bean or a young bunny rabbit.. hopping all over the place.I need to be the one in control not her. Then walk again then lays down. She does that every time she goes out. We really love her but the walks are out of control. I know she is still a puppy but she seems to get worse with every walk. Taking walks are not fun anymore but more of a chore. Any suggestions on a leash or a collar that will give me more control? I hear the steel prongs are good training collars and need a steardy heavy leash. My local Petco has classes but I don't care for the trainer. Not nice or friendly or helpful for suggestions she only cares for the money for the classes. Anyone else have these problems now or in the past? And what did you do about it? Sorry for the ramble.

What have you done to train the dog to walk properly on a leash? You can't expect the dog to just know what to do without training. Training collars and harnesses are just tools to use to help with training, but you still need to train. Have you done any of the things that I mentioned in my previous post? For how long?

·
Registered
116 Posts
If you're serious about wanting to "get rid" of a dog because you can't figure out how to walk it on a leash with a collar (not a pulling tool like a harness) when it's still a puppy then you should consider rehoming the dog. Training a dog is like training a 2 year old child - it takes time, patience, understanding, knowledge and tools. Owning and training a dog is not like watching TV, updating your FB or surfing the web - it's work and sometimes it's a "chore." Grow up, do your chores or rehome the dog. You owe that to the dog.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you're serious about wanting to "get rid" of a dog because you can't figure out how to walk it on a leash with a collar (not a pulling tool like a harness) when it's still a puppy then you should consider rehoming the dog. Training a dog is like training a 2 year old child - it takes time, patience, understanding, knowledge and tools. Owning and training a dog is not like watching TV, updating your FB or surfing the web - it's work and sometimes it's a "chore." Grow up, do your chores or rehome the dog. You owe that to the dog.
We are not going to get rid of her, i was just frustrated of her walk that night. I am planning on getting her a training collar(Gentle Leader) as soon as I get the money. Every walk is a different experience some good and some bad. I just found out today from the dog warden..they picked up Maggie on a corner street about 1 month before we got her. Since she was a stray dog that could explain the walking and behavior in general. But we have no plans on getting rid of her. We have no kids so this is our baby.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts