German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A week ago we were covered up with a beautiful blanket of snow which is rather uncommon for our area. That's gone now and but due to a slow thaw and 2 days of rain, the back yard is literally a mud pit. Our 2 GSDs are just about to explode with pent up energy. I let them run some last night even though I knew they'd be a mess but today it's just too muddy and slick. Our yard has a slope to it and I don't want to risk having one get an injury (we went through a torn ACL with our first GSD after a slip on dry grass).

So, how do I help them burn off some energy? We played a risky game of indoor toss in the basement for a while this morning. It helped a little but Ridley (10 months) took it to extremes and after getting the kong he ran up the stairs, around the den, kitchen and dining room and back down the stairs taking them 4 at a time. I had to end that game.

An indoor track for dogs would be nice but I don't know of one! Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
682 Posts
There has to be somewhere outside you can take them? Any woods in your area? May have to do long leash walks if you don't want to get the dogs dirty.

·
Registered
32,015 Posts
Do you know anyone with a barn? Like a riding arena that you could let them run in after everyone is done riding?

Flirt pole in the basement instead of toss?

·
Registered
492 Posts
Hide and seek with their toys would work their minds and noses as well....or a long walk on a leash.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
I get that every spring in MN. We have gone to a set of public tennis courts. They're a little small, depending on how they're set up, but it is fenced so if you have a tennis ball, it won't roll out into the muddy areas.
The ones we went to had a set of courts that were inside of a fence and it was 2 courts, side by side inside of one fence. Not as big as an arena ring, but it seemed to work for us.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There has to be somewhere outside you can take them? Any woods in your area? May have to do long leash walks if you don't want to get the dogs dirty.
I'm not so worried about them getting dirty - I'm more worried about injuries since we now have a muddy hill. Unfortunately I don't have access to any other place to let them run. Long leash walks may be the best we can do for a while :(

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you know anyone with a barn? Like a riding arena that you could let them run in after everyone is done riding?

Flirt pole in the basement instead of toss?
No barns that I can think of. There is an indoor riding arena but they use it for big horse shows and exhibitions. I don't think it's open to the public otherwise. Flirt pole is a good idea - might be less accident prone (my tosses aren't as accurate as I'd like and I almost knocked some of my husbands pictures down - oops!)

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hide and seek with their toys would work their minds and noses as well....or a long walk on a leash.
Hide and seek is a good idea - I'll do that this evening. We do a lot of walking but they still have tons of energy left over! I wish I had that problem for myself!

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I get that every spring in MN. We have gone to a set of public tennis courts. They're a little small, depending on how they're set up, but it is fenced so if you have a tennis ball, it won't roll out into the muddy areas.
The ones we went to had a set of courts that were inside of a fence and it was 2 courts, side by side inside of one fence. Not as big as an arena ring, but it seemed to work for us.
I need to look into this idea - I think there might be one but if it's the community center that I'm thinking of it's not in a great neighborhood. If my husband and 2 GSDs go with me it should be ok but we'll probably have to wait till the weekend.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Also, any baseball fields in the area? There is a fenced in little league field close to my house, I use it as a personal training ground in the off season.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Check the local schools for fenced in playing fields, tracks, etc. Mine likes to play tug and it helps wear him out--especially when I wear socks and let him pull me around the tile floor

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Oh shoot...you mean we aren't supposed to let them go out and play when it's muddy??? ;)
Love it!!!
Many years ago, when I had my first K9 partner, my wife rescued a PB Westie. She looked like that all time. We gave up on trying to keep her clean in the spring. She slept in the mudroom a lot of times because she was filthy. Good combo - white dog, low to the ground, loves to burrow and hunt gophers. Thanks God, for your sense of humor.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
I now have the dream of buying a place with a covered riding arena. For Shasta, not for horses.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh shoot...you mean we aren't supposed to let them go out and play when it's muddy??? ;)
Looks like she had fun!

I'm not worried about the mud. They are literally bouncing off the walls so I'll bathe them if I have to - it's the muddy, slippery hill that concerns me. I don't want another torn ACL because of a nasty slip!

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I now have the dream of buying a place with a covered riding arena. For Shasta, not for horses.
We'd like to come play when you get it! Granted, you're clear across the country so we're gonna want to stay for a while!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Do you have any unused workout equipment inside such as a treadmill? When my yard turns muddy or the weather out is nasty , I have them get on the treadmill for like 10 to 15 minutes at a time ( Mind you I have 4 dogs so its a rotation process. )

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
A week ago we were covered up with a beautiful blanket of snow which is rather uncommon for our area. That's gone now and but due to a slow thaw and 2 days of rain, the back yard is literally a mud pit. Our 2 GSDs are just about to explode with pent up energy. I let them run some last night even though I knew they'd be a mess but today it's just too muddy and slick. Our yard has a slope to it and I don't want to risk having one get an injury (we went through a torn ACL with our first GSD after a slip on dry grass).

So, how do I help them burn off some energy? We played a risky game of indoor toss in the basement for a while this morning. It helped a little but Ridley (10 months) took it to extremes and after getting the kong he ran up the stairs, around the den, kitchen and dining room and back down the stairs taking them 4 at a time. I had to end that game.

An indoor track for dogs would be nice but I don't know of one! Any other suggestions?
My dog (18 months) likes to run helter-skelter through the house. We pretend to chase and off she goes. It is amazing that she never knocks anything over.

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
:thumbup:
Something else that's really simple to do when you're stuck in the house is tie a rope or leash around the pups favorite dog and drag it across the ground so he/she will chase it. (just like a cat)
Just be sure to put the rope or leash out of reach when you're done with it so they don't strangle themselves when you're not looking.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts