German Shepherds Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Florida and I have a AKC registered LC GORGEOUS German Shepherd female who will be ready to breed this May. Looking for a local stud!

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
You'll want to post more about her pedigree information, her health check and OFA results, and her titles to give people some more information...

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
We can't advertise studs (or breeders, or puppies) on here. Check the Pedigree Database site, you can sort by state if you will only use a local stud. Stud owners may require elbows as well as hips and DM, a working title, and definitely a negative brucellosis test. How old is your female? I don't personally know of any LC studs in Florida but you can get LC in a litter with a normal coated stud, even in litters with two normal coats. Many if not most WGSL studs are coat factored and can produce LC.

·
Registered
9,721 Posts

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
What have you done to work the dog? Any titles? You need to prove her breed worthiness more than just a pretty face. Can you stack her so we can see her conformation? Also can we see her pedigree? Not just dam and sire, a pedigree goes back several generations.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Your dogs Sire and Dam don't have any titles. Other than a confirmation award that says nothing about temperment. I would hold off on breeding your dog untill you have put some time in and had her evaluated by a third party. There is much more to these dogs than looks. Good luck!
I now there is much more to these dogs than looks, they don't need titles to breed for pets.

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
I now there is much more to these dogs than looks, they don't need titles to breed for pets.
That's not true at all. The titles show the dogs temperment has been tested by a third party. Temperment is just as important for a pet as it is for a working dog. Just look at the thousands of threads on this site about people having temperment issues with their "pet" dogs. If it's going to be around the family, kids, old people, etc then it better be of a sound mind.

·
Registered
754 Posts
That's not true at all. The titles show the dogs temperment has been tested by a third party. Temperment is just as important for a pet as it is for a working dog. Just look at the thousands of threads on this site about people having temperment issues with their "pet" dogs. If it's going to be around the family, kids, old people, etc then it better be of a sound mind.
I second this.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well it is true, reputable breeders breed without titles all the time, not saying having titles isn't a good thing...just not necessarily a MUST for breeding. The AKC doesn't say your dogs must have titles or they cannot be registered, that is just an individual requirement.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I am stepping away from this thread...I am too new with the breed and this site to not let these types of threads upset me.

One last thing, please, please, please, have an experienced breeder and vet mentor you through the WHOLE thing if you insist on going through with it, be ready to take back any/all puppies if the adoptees decide when they are 6/7/8 months old that they are out of control and can't be handled anymore, and for the love of all that is GSD please don't scoff at titles and temperament testing. Every family DESERVES a dog that comes from long lines of good temperament and good nerves. How old is your dog?

Good luck.

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
Well it is true, reputable breeders breed without titles all the time, not saying having titles isn't a good thing...just not necessarily a MUST for breeding. The AKC doesn't say your dogs must have titles or they cannot be registered, that is just an individual requirement.
Reputable breeders do not breed without titles all the time. The breeders you're looking at who don't probably aren't the most reputable.

And the AKC not requiring titles to breed means nothing. AKC papers are essentially meaningless, in the grand scheme of things. They do not set any sort of standard for breeding in terms of temperament, etc. All they do is issue paperwork saying your dog is purebred.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
I'm not going to agree/disagree with the title thing.

Just wanted to say, I hope IF you find a stud dog, you will expect the same testing on that stud dog as you've done on your female.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.