German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

The animals and I head up to the cottage for two weeks at the end of June. I've done all of Rafi's basic training on my own and he's a perfect companion dog.

Since I'll have more time to devote to training I would like to teach him a few new things up at the cottage. I am going to print out the instructions for teaching getting an object but I'd like to teach a few more things too. Can you help me come up with a few new things to teach him?

He knows:

Sit
Down
Wait
Stay
Back (come around behind me)
Stay Close (Off leash)
Easy (slow down)
Watch
Find it
Go
Up
Tunnel
Leave It
He also does automatic sits at corners or curbs, on or off leash.

He does not bark AT ALL. I'd like to teach him to bark but since nothing makes him bark I am not sure how to get that started.

Thanks for your suggestions!

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
I taught Kenya to target with her nose ("nose") or paw ("touch"). I also got an Easy Button from Staples and taught her "touch the button!" which is cute for showing kids and such. "Up" is paws up on my chest. She spins right and left....

Nikon knows "rollover", "speak", and "whisper" (which is just snapping his jaws or a raspy grunt rather than a SPEAK bark).

They all know "shake" or "pound it" (same thing).

Coke knows "wave".

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
"Up" means to climb or jump up onto something. Rafi knows "Hugs" to jump on me.

Touch/Target is a good one. I taught Kai that one b/c he was afraid of everything.

I have to find my clicker!!!!!!!

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Weaving through the legs is cool

·
Registered
579 Posts
Assuming he can also recall and sit in front, you can teach him to finish on the left and right sides into a heel position, and also return to 'front' from heel position.

And since he knows watch...work on some competition heeling!!??

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally Posted By: LiesjeWeaving through the legs is cool
That's a good idea--and it would be easy b/c he already weaves around people when he's happy to see them.

I guess I'm looking more for tricks and other useful OB commands.

I also need to work on his ball retrieve. He is very silly about "Closer" and will sometimes move the ball about an inch at a time or move it to the side instead of closer to me!

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
I taught Anna "circle" where she goes in a circle and people love that one...I have no idea why. It is cute though!

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
Some practical ones I use:

Side - once they are in the Down position I want them to lay on their side (for vet exams)

Head Down - once in the Side position I want them to lay their head down on the ground (again - for vet exams, xrays, etc.)

Counter - Put your front feet up on something (like the counter at the pet store - for getting treats)

Go Around - when on leash and they go on one side of something (lets say a post) and I go on the other - I use Go Around to get them to back up and come around to MY side

Load Up - jump into the car on command ONLY (make they wait for the command before they can get in)

Unload - get our of the car on command ONLY

Go To Bed - go into your crate (you can use a dog bed or mat instead of the crate)

·
Moderator who has gone to the dogs
14,619 Posts
I use "rest" the same what that Lauri uses "side". It is also VERY useful for nail clipping time.

Teaching him specific object/toy names and then add "Get <insert object/toy>"

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Originally Posted By: LiesjeI taught Kenya to target with her nose ("nose") or paw ("touch"). I also got an Easy Button from Staples and taught her "touch the button!" which is cute for showing kids and such. "Up" is paws up on my chest. She spins right and left....

Nikon knows "rollover", "speak", and "whisper" (which is just snapping his jaws or a raspy grunt rather than a SPEAK bark).

They all know "shake" or "pound it" (same thing).

Coke knows "wave".
OH! The Easy Button would have been perfect and entertaining for my obedience class trick.

We did "thinking dog" exercises in obedience class that included, sitting when we touched a door knob, down, when we touched our watches, down when we sat on a chair (to put on our shoes), bow, and wave. The trick was to teach them to do this without giving a verbal command.

And we worked on touch/targeting. Very handy when teaching the dog to come to heel position.

I taught Dakota to give five, high ten, and to target which hand had the treat (by jumping up and placing both front paws on the hand she wanted). For added fun, add a 2n person, so now they have 4 choices.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Don't see "stand" on the list.
It's of great benefit when the dog needs hands-on care by a Vet. or when on a scale.
When the stay is added or included in the command.

·
Super Moderator
16,941 Posts
Ruth, I think Rafi should get his BH! Then move on to OB1 and an AD.

He is so smart and willing, should be a piece of cake!

·
Registered
742 Posts
Maybe you can teach him to sit and down from a distance if he doesn't already know that.

Also I use "crate" command, meaning go into your crate.

You can teach "go potty" which I taught as part of potty training. Then when your on the road and need a potty break, it makes for a quicker dog potty break.

If he learns bark, then you can teach "quiet" !

I'm curious as to what the "tunnel" command means, sounds interesting.

Glenn

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The tunnel command is to go through a tunnel type structure (like at a playground).

Today I taught him to go through my legs. It took about 2 seconds. I'll check later to see if he remembers.

I forgot a bunch of stuff on my list. He also knows:

Go Pee
Go Poop (yes, he knows the difference!)
Leash (he sits and raises his head so I can snap on the leash)
Collar (he sits on his bed and raises his head so I can put his collar on). All I have to do is show him his leash or collar and he will automatically do the last two
Bed (go lie on your bed)
Spot (go lie in the corner to wait for your meal)
He also knows to wait before getting in or out of the truck

When we play "Find It" I can place the toy in his huge box of toys with him in the other room and he will locate the toy by smelling and then go through the box until he finds the toy that I hid.

He will also find Cleo or Chama (as in he finds the right one)

Rafi is an intuitive learner. He tries to anticipate what I want from him. This actually makes it a little more challenging to teach him non-utilitarian tricks!

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
I always like to teach "paw", for when I want them to place their paw on something, useful for teaching other things, like stepping up a ladder, stairs, etc.

With Indy, I taught her "touch", which means to touch with her nose. I was going to use that as a bridge to other things to do with her nose (like moving a ball or something), but I never did.

The stand (and stay in the stand position) are good to know. My dogs also know "left" and "right" (well, most of the time). A 180 degree turn is "turn" for Indy, and "about" for Max. I use "through" instead of "tunnel".

I live on a court, and they also know what "out of the street" means. I also use it on our walks sometimes.

For the life of me, I can't get Max to "speak". Indy, on the other hand, is VERY good at it (too good
).

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
Forgot to add, that one of the most useful things for Indy, since she gets to be off-leash often, has been a stay during movement.

I learned long ago that if she sees something tempting, I couldn't get a solid recall, but I got to the point where she's almost 100% with a stay on movement. And the rules are that she doesn't move until I reach her, typically grab her collar or harness, and then give the release command. That may have saved her life a couple of times. I'm starting to work on this with Max right now.

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
Speaking of the paw tricks, my old girl Neke knew how to Wave and then I would say Other Paw and she'd wave using the other paw.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Chama knows a gazillion tricks. She learned everything in two repetitions. Now that she's deaf she watches me teaching Rafi things and sometimes starts doing them!

She knew the trick: "High Five!" "Other Side" "Gimme Ten" "Do it Again!"

She actually had a routine of tricks and would amuse everyone at parties. She could also identify my friends by name, even if there were 10 or more!

My friends refer to her at the rocket scientist.

·
Registered
742 Posts
We used to play the find game with Juli with her toys in the house. First hide them and tell her find and she will search for her toy. The other day I was doing training with her and forgot where her ball was left on the baseball field. I asked her to find and she found her ball in no time. That was a lot of fun to see her do that and the look on her face when she found it.

Glenn

1 - 20 of 30 Posts