German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I just recently took a new job and will some time be putting in 60 hours a week. Its great for me but not so great for my 6 month year old gsd sense he is in his kennel during the time I work. I have considered finding him a family were he isn't caged up that much. Feel bad that he is in the kennel but would also feel bad leaving him with another family. I don't know what I should do.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
127 Posts
Or if you can't can someone you trust check on him? Perhaps doggy daycare/dog walker even.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Hey guys I just recently took a new job and will some time be putting in 60 hours a week. Its great for me but not so great for my 6 month year old gsd sense he is in his kennel during the time I work. I have considered finding him a family were he isn't caged up that much. Feel bad that he is in the kennel but would also feel bad leaving him with another family. I don't know what I should do.

To put it bluntly, you should give up your GSD - caging him in a kennel without your spending time together with him is not doing right by your dog. As a responsible dog owner, you have to make the time for him. If you can't make that kind of commitment with your work schedule, the dog will only suffer. And letting him suffer is a form of animal abuse. A GSD needs a full time committed owner who can provide him with shelter, food, exercise, play, attention and love. It sounds to me like the dog won't be #1 in your life like he should be. You don't really need any one's second opinion on here to do the right thing. Your dog deserves a good quality of life and its up to you to make it happen regardless of whether or not you keep him.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I don't know the ins and outs of your position, but with 60 hours a week that far more than full time. Can you put in a normal work day, come home and play and put in a couple extra hours from home later in the evening?

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
I agree that's too much time to spend crated and alone but I would explore other options before rehoming him.

What about doggy day care or hiring a dog walker to come over and take him for an hour walk and play with him every day? Or is there a friend you could leave him with on your really long days?

And then obviously you want to spend a lot of time training, playing, hiking or other fun exercise with him when you're not working!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jess it would be hard to do that. Norman the reason why I'm asking for a second opinion is cause it does feel like I have a connection with him and he does have shelter, food, and companionship. Him and I were outside for 2 hours. When I come home from work he's with me the minute I'm home till I go to bed. This is why I am looking for opinions

·
Registered
624 Posts
Jess it would be hard to do that. Norman the reason why I'm asking for a second opinion is cause it does feel like I have a connection with him and he does have shelter, food, and companionship. Him and I were outside for 2 hours. When I come home from work he's with me the minute I'm home till I go to bed. This is why I am looking for opinions

If you have a girlfriend or wife or can hire a pet sitter you have some options. If there is no one took after him when you are away for many hours, you should surrender him. Ultimately its not your wants and needs its about how the dog is happy. If you want a low-maintenance pet, get a cat.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
If you live alone, you should re-home him. 60 hours a week is a lot of time to be away and your dog in a crate. I hope sometime in the future you can work less and spend more time with a dog. If I could not work at home or take my dog to the office, I would probably not have a dog, just cats.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
IF IT'S IMPOSSIBLE FOR YOU TO TAKE HIM TO WORK WITH YOU ... IMHO you should hire someone to take him out once or twice a day while you're at work. Twelve hours a day is a long time for a pup, or even an adult, to be crated without any potty break. If you're unable to hire a pet sitter, do you have a safe, fenced in location in your yard where you could put him in a large, shaded, enclosed outdoor kennel run with a nice dog house or would he bother the neighbors barking?

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Maybe you could have an outside kennel and on the days your girlfriend/dad cant spend some time with him, take him to doggie daycare.

Im not saying that 12 hours a day is not alot of time for a dog to be all alone, but that there are options and you are doing a good job thinking about your dog.

I have seen people that work less hours than you and spend almost no time with their dog. The dogs live outside chained to a dog house. those are the people that should rehome their dog.:cry:

·
Banned
377 Posts
Get a daily dog walker, there are usually plenty available in most areas.
Assuming the kennel isn't just a crate and is cool enough in the summer and
warm enough in the winter, having a dog walker should make it viable.
Good Luck

·
Premium Member
11,268 Posts
You apparently have a decent job - the pup is bonded to you and IMO rehoming him is the last case scenerio. If it does come to that, then go back to the breeder (assuming he is from a reputable, responsible breeder who requires that!).

There are other options - house visits by bonded pet sitters, your dad and as you mention, your girlfriend....it is doable. Frankly, I work from home - my dogs pretty much sleep most of the time - yes they are older, but I have been able to work from home sporadically the last 14 years - and dogs sleep alot!!! Your not being home is not as bad a thing as many people seem to feel. If you can get someone to spend 15 - 30 minutes with him at least once a day when you are going to be at your office then I think you should not feel guilty. If every dog had to be owned by some one who did not leave the house to work, there would be alot more dogs dumped, in shelters or without a home! Dogs are adaptable, it can work with a little attention to detail.

Lee

1 - 18 of 18 Posts