German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at the vet today for my pup's first appointment (nearly 8wks old). He said if the ears aren't up by the next appointment (Jan 24th), then we may have an issue. My puppy won't even be 10wks old by then, do I really have anything to worry about? My breeder said they will come up around 5 to 6 months. But the vet is saying if they aren't up before he starts teething, they will never come up.

I asked about taping and he said taping is only for ears that are half way up, or on their way up.

Anyway, when my boy is asleep on his side, his ear stands straight up! I'm hoping that is a good sign

·
2,967 Posts
That is absolute nonsense. Please do not panic. Puppy ears run the gamut depending on their genetics and the thickness and size of their ears- from up at 6 weeks to 6 months. Although there is a time to become concerned if they show no signs of coming up at all in the next couple of months...it certainly isn't now.

My Argos didn't have up ears until about 5.5 months...but up they came eventually.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
That is absolute nonsense. Please do not panic. Puppy ears run the gamut depending on their genetics and the thickness and size of their ears- from up at 6 weeks to 6 months. Although there is a time to become concerned if they show no signs of coming up at all in the next couple of months...it certainly isn't now.

My Argos didn't have up ears until about 5.5 months...but up they came eventually.
+1

Enjoy the funny puppy ear stage! That's my favorite time during the GSD puppyhood- the ear changes are adorable!

Get AS MANY PHOTO'S AS YOU CAN during this stage, it's the best!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you. His ears do not even look fully down. It almost looks like half of it is up, and the upper half is just flopped over the bottom half. He comes from a working line....

I mentioned the breathrite strips to the Dr. and he looked at me like this :eek:

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
THATS BOGUS!!! Shasta was 12 weeks old when she came home. Her ears were both floppy. 2 days after she got home, one ear came up. 6 days later the other ear came up. Dont freak. be patient. its rare that ears dont go up. I think your vet needs a better clue.

·
Registered
800 Posts
You have nothing to worry about. They will stand up when they're ready. Your pup is still very young for erect ears. Both of Kain's ears didn't stand up until he teethed (4-5 months).

·
Registered
98 Posts
My little man is 16 weeks old, and just started losing baby teeth 2 days ago... His ears were both "up" (read: a little wobbly but up) about 2 weeks ago. Breeder told us to expect them to go down for a bit during teething but not to panic til 6 months if they weren't showing signs of going up permanently. Don't fret! It's lots of fun to see how the ears look on a day-to-day basis :)

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
My Uschi looked like she was signaling a left turn for a week or two- the ears are very entertaining and will go every direction possible. They'll probably go up then drop down again when Knight is teething, so be sure and have plenty of things to chew like bully sticks during that time to strengthen the muscles

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Your vet is incorrect. Do you feel like he/she is just misinformed, or trying to sell you an unneeded service (taping)?

·
Banned
2,306 Posts
Mind you my case isn't that common but I got Chance at 6 months old which at that point he was completely done teething and one ear was up and the other was flopped. Occasionally they both flopped or both stood up. I did tape them for a couple days at 7 months old but it ended up being a pain to deal with so I left nature take it's course. By about 10 months old, both were standing at all times and at 3.5 years old his ears haven't fallen since. I'd only start to actually "worry" around 5-6 months old. But even if they DON'T come up, it's not the end of the world. ;) I personally find it cute. :)

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Um, you have nothing to worry about if your puppy won't even be 10 weeks! I can't even believe that! Somebody doesn't know much about GSDs I guess.....Jackson's ears went up for good at 9 weeks, and that was EARLY! I was actually pretty surprised. Even if your pup's ears are just huge and floppy, I think this is WAAAAY too soon to make a judgement if there will be an issue with the ears.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys. Here are some shots. These were taken at 7weeks and 1 day old. When he sleeps on his side, sometimes his ear stands up

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
32,586 Posts
Adorable! I wouldn't worry about those ears at all, they've already got a little lift at the base. Ignore your vet. :)

·
2,967 Posts
Adorable! I wouldn't worry about those ears at all, they've already got a little lift at the base. Ignore your vet. :)

Absolutely agree. There's lift off there.

These were Cade's ears at 7 weeks.

And a short 3 weeks later they were up never to come down again.

Argos at 8 weeks had these donkey ears...heavy and huge.

And at 4 months he still had one that was staying down...

Around 6 months both ears were up, but the right was still a little wobbly...

But by 7 months he was good to go!

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Yeah, your vet is full of poo. Dharma's ears came up at about 12 weeks, then promptly went back down when she started teething. Back up again at arounf 4.5- 5 months and up they stayed.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Thanks for posting pictures, and btw, the ears look FINE! They aren't overly huge. I have seen some pups with VERY large ears, like lab sized downed ears, and they had problems standing. Those ears look just fine and like others have said, there is already a semi lift going on. I wouldn't worry at all.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts