German Shepherds Forum banner

Need some info please!

1K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  brembo 
#1 ·
So my husband has decided that he is going hunting when Turkey season opens and again when Deer season opens. We want to be able to give the dogs some of the goodies like bones and organs and whatnot. Since I don't feed exclusively raw and they really only get treats here and there, are there any parts we shouldn't allow them to have in either the turkey or the deer?

I'm pretty sure they can have basically whatever organs we want to give them but I want to make 100% sure. Thanks!

#2 ·
Well, I am not the expert on raw or hunting. But since I plucked three ticks off Myah from the trails, I've been reading about tick borne disease. The Lyme, Anaplamosis, Rabbit Fever, etc infect the animal, spread by ticks. So, if the deer is infected, then raw deer would be risky. Cooking kills the bacteria, I believe.

Other than that, hope you get some expert answers. Sounds fun!

#4 ·
You're good! Jut make sure you freeze it for, I think it's at least two weeks, prior to feeding, to kill any parasites. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. I'm jealous, btw. Wish my boys could have such fresh meat!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

yeah I'm thinking about the cost that will go into this sudden desire to take my guns out hunting lol. Ammo, an entirely new freezer, hunting license, processing, etc. and if my husband keeps playing with the turkey call in the kitchen I may have to hurt him....

#5 ·
Save the hearts, livers, turkey feet, turkey neck, tracheas from both. You could save the lungs but Jax acts like you are trying to poison her. You could feed most all the dear bones for chew bones. Turkey frames as well. I wouldn't let them have the turkey leg bones. Those are tough and don't digest well.

#6 ·
Thanks for the info Michelle. I will pass it on to him.

#7 ·
In Texas, you have to tag the deer in the ear and carry the head with you when you transport the carcass. Hubby keeps the head on ice. Once home. I allow the dogs to remove choice parts before I take the head out back for the coyotes. I hate to waste any part.

I do freeze whole leg parts as part of tracking rewards. But once they walk away from the leg, it's tossed. I don't want them chewing on the hard bone long. Stripping it of hair etc. is ok.

This season, I'm going to try my hand at dehydrating organs & meat. They make high value treats.

#8 ·
In Texas, you have to tag the deer in the ear and carry the head with you when you transport the carcass. Hubby keeps the head on ice. Once home. I allow the dogs to remove choice parts before I take the head out back for the coyotes. I hate to waste any part.

I do freeze whole leg parts as part of tracking rewards. But once they walk away from the leg, it's tossed. I don't want them chewing on the hard bone long. Stripping it of hair etc. is ok.

This season, I'm going to try my hand at dehydrating organs & meat. They make high value treats.

yeah I'm thinking about getting a dehydrator to do that kind of thing. I think they have to do the same here but I'm not sure. Thanks!

#9 ·
My husband used to hunt deer..I gave the dogs at the time, liver/heart but liver especially, in small amounts (diarhea issues as with any liver)..I did cook it..We never did give them the bones, tho I imagine they would be fine.

They did get occasional raw deer meat, muscle etc, didn't seem to get any parasites from it, but this was quite a few years ago.

#10 ·
My dad was an avid hunter and filled the freezer every year with deer and turkey. I'd saw the deer's legs off right below the knee and freeze them. After awhile I'd pull one out and give it to my BC/GSD mix. Fur, hoof....the whole nine yards. She loved em, took her weeks to whittle it down to a nub. Her teeth benefitted the most, kept em white and clean as can be. Pretty gross at times, but it made her so dang happy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.