German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new gal River is nearly 11 weeks old. We got her at 10 weeks. So far we have been doing ok. But the crate training is doing my head in. She is happy to sleep in there (whines to get out for 3 minutes at most?) the issue is she keeps soiling it! She won't make any noise to wake me up, until after she's done the deed. I woke up at 5am this morning to find puppy poop all over the place because she'd stepped in it, then jumped up against the wire in her crate. So I took her outside, waited with her for ten minutes, she pee'd. I praised her, brought her back in and cleaned up the mess, using an enzyme cleaner. Put her back in her crate (it's about 5:45am now) and we all go back to sleep. 8am rolls around... And there is urine EVERYWHERE.

Should I set an alarm for every two hours? Would the fact that the breeder had the puppies in an enclosure where they could pee and poop wherever they wanted be causing some of this?

Arghhh! Would partitioning the crate help this matter? Currently she's in a crate that will be big enough for her when she's older, I had no issues with previous puppy doing this. Should I partition? Or put the full size crate bed in there that she lays on downstairs?

How can one tiny creature create such a mess... It always baffles me lol!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
65 Posts
What we did with our girl was portioned off the crate so she could only turn around in it and expanded it as she grew. That would be my recomondation. Sometimes I slept near the crate too (in our living room which is where she sleeps) and I would hear her get up at night and take her out.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
when my dog was a pup (11 weeks old) we were going out every
2 hours overnight. when my pup was running around the house
he was out every 15 minutes or so. don't wait for a signal. the signal
will come later.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I would definitely start off by partitioning the crate and making it just big enough for your pup to fit comfortably but not able to roam from side to side. I would also do as you said, set an alarm for every 2 hours and take it from there. If the crate is big enough to roam, that is maybe why your pup doesn't make a sound when having to go. Good luck!!!

·
Registered
369 Posts
I also partitioned his crate, but he doesn't sleep there. He sleeps on the floor next to my bed.

My son and I took shifts taking him out every two hours so that way each of us could sleep for 4 hour blocks. Worked great!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the tips guys!! I've completely macguyver'd her crate to portion it off and replaced her doggy bed with a washable mat. She will only have enough room to turn around in it.

Will set the alarm for every two hours tonight, and get her out before she makes more messes! <3

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
as others have said, definitely partition off the crate and set the alarm. It's literally like having a newborn in the house with the getting up every couple hours at night. Thankfully Dax started sleeping through the night without any accidents around 13/14 weeks old and we've not had any accidents in the house in about a month as well. He actually ran to the back door, ran back to me and then back to the backdoor like my female does so I think that's his cue.

When I stopped getting up every two hours to take him out, he'd wake me up whining and crying because he needed to go out so we figured each other. I just had to expand the space in his crate again because he's growing like a weed.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Riley soiled her crate too unless I was setting an alarm. I did it for 2 hours, then moved up to 3, then 4, etc. Now at 15 weeks she sometimes has to go out at night but for the most part she will hold it until morning. I set my alarm still, go and open her crate and she just lays there looking at me like what do you want? If she doesn't get up then she doesn't have to go. No accidents in her crate for about 2.5 weeks now. :)

Good luck!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys!! She has been running to the door during the day although I'm following her around like crazy. Will be setting the alarm for every two hours tonight, and taking her out, regardless if she's asleep or not!

Here's hoping she doesn't chew apart my macguyver partition. ;)

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Thanks guys!! She has been running to the door during the day although I'm following her around like crazy. Will be setting the alarm for every two hours tonight, and taking her out, regardless if she's asleep or not!

You could probably find a wire crate with the divider for sale for pretty cheap on craigslist or even find them on sale at a pet store if that help any. We have wire crates. have a plastic one in the van which had been used for my older girl when she was a puppy but she outgrew it in the house.

·
Registered
369 Posts

I don't know what kind of crate you have. I have a 48" Vari Kennel and to partition it I measured the width and height, went to Walmart and bought two of those plastic storage containers that fit the measurements. I placed one in the back with the lid on and put the other on top of that but upside down. It's almost a perfect fit with just a little space on top.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's pretty much exactly what I've done!!! :D I used some small ones we have lying around, side by side and a larger one on top. ImageUploadedByPG Free1373953071.945715.jpg

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bah!!! I slept through an alarm. Needless to say we had an accident. I took her out at 1:30am... She woke me up at 6am with an accident. I missed my 3:30am alarm! ****! >.< hopefully tonight I won't sleep through it. :(

·
Registered
75 Posts
Aside from partitioning the crate, don't give any food after 5:00 pm and no water after 7:00 or so. We did this with our puppy at 9 weeks and in less than a week he slept through the night. We do get up about 5:00 a.m but he easily lasted 7 hours and never an accident in hi crate.

·
Registered
10,831 Posts
What we did with our girl was portioned off the crate so she could only turn around in it and expanded it as she grew. That would be my recomondation. Sometimes I slept near the crate too (in our living room which is where she sleeps)

Agreed and take her in the crate into your bedroom as this will keep her calmer. Feed her last meal at 6.00 PM, last water at 8.00, last time potty trip at 11.00 PM and up in the AM at 6.30. Mine have always been able to handle that.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
She sleeps in our room. :) only takes about 30 seconds of honing before she resorts to chewing her toy or she settles down for sleep. Will pick up the water at 8pm though. :) cheers guys!

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Aside from partitioning the crate, don't give any food after 5:00 pm and no water after 7:00 or so. We did this with our puppy at 9 weeks and in less than a week he slept through the night. We do get up about 5:00 a.m but he easily lasted 7 hours and never an accident in hi crate.
This ^ right here. My times were slightly different but the results were the same.

I got Lisl at a little over 7 weeks. She was only in her crate during the day while I was working and soiled it for about two weeks before it clicked with her. She had more baths before she was 9 weeks old than any other GSD I've had.

She slept with me since the day I got her and had only one overnight accident. Nothing like that warm wet feeling on your leg at 0200. That was the first and only time she had an overnight accident.

We were up at 0000 and 0300 every night for three weeks before she could sleep through the night. It was the dead of winter but I followed this routine without fail every night. I never came back inside until she pottied even if it took 30 or more minutes.

You will get through this and so will your puppy. Do what is suggested in this thread and your puppy will be housebroken in no time.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts