German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! I am new on the site as I've been researching german shepherds and am actually picking my pup up next week! He is 11 weeks old today, and will be 3 months when I pick him up next week. I was wondering if picking him up on Thursday, which is the earliest I can, would be a bad idea if I have to bring him back to my parents house on Saturday for my little brothers graduation party. He will have all his shots and there is Plenty of room for him to run. But would the amount of people there be a bad thing for him?? Would it be a better idea to wait until after the party to pick him up??

Thanks for helping out! I am so excited!!!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Actually it sounds like a good idea! Socializing is crucial to all puppies! It's one of the most important things you can train a dog (indirect training) it will improve his temperament as an older dog.

So if it is possible, to bring him and let him meet all the new people and make sure they give him lots of love! Just be careful of any potty mistakes, that would ruin a party :p

·
Registered
785 Posts
It will be a great socalization opportunity but he may get overwhelmed.

Do you have a crate that you can rest him in to give him a break at different points throughout the day?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
We were raising Ranger for the Seeing Eye and our main role was to socialize him. They dropped him off at 7 weeks and instructed us to basically take him as many places to meet as many people as soon as possible.

·
Premium Member
7,904 Posts
I think it would be overwhelming. The pup won't know you from Adam. You will have no bond, he will have just been wrenched from the only life he has known. I would not then throw him in the deep end to get mauled by strangers in a partying mood. That's too much to ask a baby in the first hour you have him.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Gsdar makes a good point. Ranger at least had an afternoon and night in our house before we took him out. In that way at least he knew who he was with.

·
Registered
169 Posts
My first GSD was given to me as a birthday surprise (!) by my boyfriend at the time... not the smartest move on his part... It was also my graduation weekend and I had tons of friends and family in town. My puppy was 4 months old and had never interacted with people before (except for the shelter) so this was her first time around humans. She did great, was a total love bug and slept on people's laps the whole time. I did have a spot for her to retreat to when a break was needed. As an adult dog she LOVED parties and would always come sit in the middle of a group of people chatting, maybe the graduation experience had something to do with it? But I do agree you need a solid day of you and the pup so it makes a connection with you, it will happen pretty fast!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So since I will have had him for an afternoon, two nights and a full day it would be alright?

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
11 weeks is a great time to socialize him. Just keep an eye on him if kids are around to make sure hes not overwhelmed. But he may just be like most puppies and enjoy himself running back and forth getting petted from everyone.

·
Registered
252 Posts
So exciting getting a new puppy! I agree with socializing them as much as possible.Just make sure he's not far from you - so he knows you'll never let anything happen to him. Poor little things are ripped away from the only thing they have ever known.
If your life is busy than your puppies life will be busy. I never crated mine when I had people over because they needed to get used to our life which is busy.
Both if mine came home when they where only 8 weeks old and from day one I took them with me!
Enjoy you new little guy?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
The day after we brought our pup home (at 5 weeks... ack!) we had a birthday party for our daughter. The party was already planned and I wasnt expecting getting him that early (for obvious reasons), so there wasn't a whole lot we could do about it. He spent most of the time cuddled on my dad's lap! I think, if anything, it helped him realize from day one that this is a busy house!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts