German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new here. I have a situation here at home with my female GSD, Sasha that I need some advice on. I have two German Shepherds (1 male and 1 female) and two mini dachshunds (1 male and 1 female). One of the dachshunds we just got about a week ago and it's a female. My female shepherd is wonderful with my male dachshund. He is 2 years old and she is 4 years old.

Yesterday I took them outside to do their business and my dachshunds were playing with pine cones. The new dachshund (who is only 14 weeks old) is scared of the shepherds when they run up on her and she cries. But this time, Sasha ran up on the baby dachshund and she cried, then barked at her cause she was protecting her pine cone. Well, Sasha attacked her and it was all I could do to get her off of her and in that process Sasha bit my finger (my fault). I got her off and separated them. The dachshund is fine but now is scared to death of her. When I put Sasha in the kennel, the dachshund barks at her at a distance and won't go near her. I'm afraid to have them in the same room together now for fear that the dachshund will cause Sasha to attack her again.

Here is a little background history for you on Sasha....I've had 2 other female dachshunds in the past with Sasha around. By the time my first one reached about a year, she and Sasha had a disagreement over something and Sasha attacked her but unfortunately, the dachshund was killed in that attack. Later I got another female, after about a year old, they had a small squabble and I found that dachshund a new home. It's been some time since then and I've had Sasha spayed. Thinking that might change her temperament, I thought she might get along with another female. And then this incident happened.

She has no problem with the male dogs. They play and have never had any squabbles. I would like to know from anyone who has a female shepherd if this is the nature of a female GSD or is this just my female GSD. I need to know if the best choice is to find this new puppy a home and when Sasha has lived her life, think about getting another female dachshund. Can anyone offer any advice? Thanks.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Sounds like Sasha has problems with bitches ... IMHO you'd be better off with males only or keeping the two bitches separated.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I thinks its apparent that your GSD has a problem with other females in the home. I would think about rehoming the female dachshund as you don't wanna lose another life because of it. I've read a lot of threads where problems can arise between females living in the same home, so I keep a close eye on mine as my GSD is still a puppy. My other 2 females (small breeds as well) were here first though, when my GSD was brought in, and the pecking order was quickly established. The members here will give you some good info though on your situation. Good luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
My shepherds are inside/outside dogs. Now that spring is coming, the shepherds can spend most of the time outside and then I can separate them in the evening. What do you think about that. I was also thinking that I am not in a very good habit of walking the dogs regularly and thought it might be a good idea to walk Sasha every day unless it's raining or snowing. Maybe that will get some of her frustrations out of her. What do you guys think?

Is there a way to sort of reintroduce them some how. Bella, the female dachshund, has already submitted to her, Sasha made sure of that when we brought her home. Is there a way to help a dog overcome a fear of another dog so that we can live peacefully? I think if I could get Bella to always "bow to the queen" sort of speak maybe it could be okay. Am I living in a fantasy world? Any and all advice is welcomed. Thanks for the previous advice.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Our GSDs are not intended to spend their time outside away from the pack (your family.) Please listen to others and rehome the new female.

Female to female aggression is the most difficult and and can result in death even when close in size. To keep a small female when you know the situation would not be responsible.

Seems like the balance was good with just the 3 dogs - please stay with that.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Hi there. I'm new here also, but just thought I would throw in my two cents....my rescue has had his issues with other dogs and I have put many hours of training in to rehabilitate some of his bad behaviour. I wanted to share a link to a leerburg.com ebook...I don't always subscribe to what he says, but I do like this one on how to introduce new dogs to homes with existing dogs has some good info. I think it may at least provide some insight into what is going on in your dogs mind.

http://leerburg.com/pdf/introducingdogs.pdf

I certainly appreciate the other advice on re-homing, but I think that should be only a last resort because it is so hard on the animal. I wish you all the best in whatever decision you make.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i don't think you should bring another female
in your pack.

why can't you walk your dog in the rain and snow?

I was also thinking that I am not in a very good habit of walking the dogs regularly and thought it might be a good idea to walk Sasha every day unless it's raining or snowing. Maybe that will get some of her frustrations out of her. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
I certainly appreciate the other advice on re-homing, but I think that should be only a last resort because it is so hard on the animal. I wish you all the best in whatever decision you make.
I think with a puppy that young rehoming will not be difficult as it hasn't actually established itself in the new home. I have heard a lot of stories about female-on-female aggression and this is not an issue that will disappear. This is your THIRD time trying to introduce a new female into the family, so you know it's not the individual dogs that Sasha has a problem with but, rather, the very fact that they are female dogs.

I realize that it is easy for you to say, now, that you will walk Sasha everyday but what about those days when it IS raining or during the winter when it's 30 degrees? How committed are you going to be then? And what are you going to do with the two dogs? It's easy to say "Oh, it's spring and I'll just throw the two GSDs outside" but then it will be summer, and too hot for the dogs to spend all of their time outside and then fall and then winter, when the dogs will pretty much always need to be in the house. This will be a full time job in itself and will require FULL TIME COMMITTMENT for the rest of Sasha's life. Is that something you can really commit to when it would be much easier, and safer, to simply rehome the new puppy.

If your serious about getting a puppy then bring the female back to the breeder and ask if you can pick a male from another litter. It's not worth risking this puppy's life, esp. when you had a good inkling that this was going to happen. Sure, it was worth a shot after you got Sasha spayed but, now that you know it won't work, please don't put that puppy's life in danger. Rehome her before something more serious happens. I mean, if Sasha gets so frenzied that she doesn't realize that your hands are in the way of her mouth than this just sounds like a situation that will easily and quickly get out of control.

I also agree that GSDs DO NOT like to be away from their families. I mean, my GSD, Jerzey, is so under my feet it almost gets annoying but that is just how these dogs are and I think it will cause more frustration for Sasha to be locked outside when she is used to be being around the family and I doubt a walk will cure that. Either way, though, you really should be taking your dogs for more walks. I think that, instead of investing your time into a new puppy, you should refocus it into the dogs that you already have by trying to give all of them more walks. It doesn't seem fair to stretch yourself so thin for a new puppy when the dogs that are already in your home aren't really getting 100%. Just something to consider.

Good luck with your decision. I realize that it is VERY easy to get attached to a puppy and it will be hard to let this little girl go but it would be so much worse to have to bury her. Think about what is best for the puppy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts