German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I don't post much, just read a lot. Today I have something very urgent to ask of all of you. Here is a link to an album of what I need help with.

Lando - Nose Sores Photos by storyimage | Photobucket

Lando dug up a gopher on Friday while my father in law was outside with him. I didn't notice anything weird, told him good boy and all. Saturday I wake up and notice he has a few drops of blood on his nose. Like he had been pricked by a needle or something. Didn't think anything of it, figured it was a bite from the gopher, maybe the scab got picked off. Literally HOURS later, it's worse. I called my vet on Saturday to let her know I need to come in Monday for more of his Pro Motion pills. I mention the lesions(?) and she says to come in at 4 o'clock on Monday. Now it's Sunday, and his nose looks three times as worse. I haven't been able to find anything online resembling his sores.

Sorry if you have to take the time to read it over more then once. I've been up for 24 hours worrying. I doubt I could sleep until I know exactly what it is, and it's Mother's Day of all days. Sigh.

Thanks for any help.

LM

·
Registered
24,301 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much for your quick response. We have brown recluse spiders here in Oklahoma so it is a possibility. I can't believe I didn't even think about it. I will find an ER vet in my area.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Keep us posted! That looks like serious issue. I had a dog that was allergic to bee stings. The first time it happened, I saw it happen. The bite was on his left haunches. Within 4 hours the reaction had spread over about 1/4 of his body and turned into a staph infection. It happened another time when he was much older on his face. The reaction was severe, but not as big. I carried an epi pen for several years because of it.

Please let us know what the ER vet says and how it is treated. Good luck! I sure hope he feels better soon!

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
What did the vet say?

·
Premium Member
11,316 Posts
uck! Looks sore! I hope it is not something really bad and the ER vet can treat readily! Please let us know what it is!

Good luck and Hugs to Lando!

Lee

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
I hope everything's okay ... wish we'd get some kind of update???

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
I wonder if the dog got into contact with some toxic plant.

this looks like a chemical burn --- contact with WILD PARSNIP , an invasive plant , will produce itching at first then the skin will blister and bleed .

I had to look it up . Took dog to one of my favourite ravines and along the trails was a similar sign Wild Parsnip Sign | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Had to read up about it once at home -- photoreactive dermatitis . Hogweed is another Vicious Hogweed Plant Could Star in "Little Shop of Horrors" Sequel : Discoblog

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry for not responding earlier. I came home with him and slept, and then had to go to my mothers for the rest of the day! The vet had a look at him and put him on some antibiotics, he is also taking some benadryl. It hasn't spread anymore so that is a good thing! She didn't give me an answer for what it was however. She said it was hard to tell but thinks it was the gopher. Lando has just been sleeping for the most part. Which I like because he can't rub off his scabs! I will keep everyone posted!

·
Registered
147 Posts
I've a female that was bit by a mole she dug up and killed-it created an ulcer at the bite sight-the ulcer would reappear about ever 4-6 weeks and the dog would be placed on antibiotics with good results till the next time-after approximately a year we concluded it had created an autoimmune issue and she was treated for almost a year with Predisone-she has been removed from Predisone and has not had a reoccurance since.

I'm thinking the rodents must carry some kind of bacteria in their saliva . . . .

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Poor girl! I agree with you, I just think rodents are full of bacteria! I'm glad everything turned out okay for her!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts