German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

I posted on 5/10, but collapsed soon after and ended up in the hospital. My kidney was so badly infected that it was nearly septic. It was quite painful, but we are out of the woods for now. I am still in considerable pain with this stone. The most recent cat scan put the stone at just a little larger than a ping pong ball. I was released from the hospital today with some very strong oral antibiotics that I will continue to take for a while. As soon as my white count is reasonable, I will go in for surgery to remove the stone. The *hope* is that doc will be able to come in through the bladder and slice the stone with a drill, then crush the pieces with a laser. The stone is just too massive for sound waves. If that does not work, then doc will have to open me up and slice the kidney open. This would leave me with a 4-6 week recovery period of very limited activity.

The point is that with me only being in the hospital for a couple days, Genali is just all out of sorts. She was well cared for by my son, who lives in my home with Genali while I was gone. She did however search for me every chance she got. She didn't cry nor did she misbehave, the only sign of stress that she has shown is runny poop. We have an appointment with the vet tomorrow to make sure she is OK, but I am pretty confident that the runny poop is a result of a schedule change and a little anxiety of not knowing where I am. SHe is eating, drinking and peeing fine (she has gone backwards a little on her potty training, but that's an easy fix). She is playing hard and does not want to leave my side.

I hate that I have gotten so sick just after having getting a high drive pup. SHe is getting a raw deal right now. If the doctor has to cut me to remove the stone, it is just going to get more raw for a while.

How would you more experienced GSD owners handle this in an effort to make things easier for her right now? I know that I can get her (and me) through this, but I want to make it as easy on her as I can.

Just to note: Separation anxiety has not been an issue at all until this time. I work law enforcement so she is accustomed to long hours and does fine. She is just used to me coming home every night. SHe didn't have any issue when I was gone overnight for my graduation, though she did search for me before she went to bed. I would really like to avoid having a separation anxiety issue in the future!

Thank you all in advance because I have already seen how wonderful ya'll are!

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
I’m sorry you were so sick. Dogs react to changes in routine and they miss us. Get back to her normal routine as quickly as possible. Keep her exercised and mentally tired if you can. She will forget sooner than you will. Dogs adapt.

·
Registered
7,510 Posts
It’s awful to be so sick but they help get you through it. I’m hoping your surgery goes smooth as possible and your pain ends fast. Hind and seek games are fun to tired the brain out- find it games hide food around the house so she can find it- even if it’s in boxes around your couch or bed. Some light games of fetch with a ball. They do adjust and will help with your healing. Wishing you speedy recovery and comfort!!!!

·
Registered
977 Posts
Sorry to hear that you've had such a time of it and am sending good thoughts for an uneventful recovery. Here's what worked for me under similar circumstances. Pull out some old tee/sleep shirts and wear them for a day or so. (Unlaundered tees will work just fine, if you're short on time). Then, pack each one in a ziploc freezer bag to preserve the scent as much as possible. Set them aside -- but not in the freezer! If you have to go in for subsequent surgery, have your son (great that he can help you out) give her one tee every other day or so. However, if she's a dedicated chewer, this obviously isn't a good idea. But, if she's not, your scent can help soothe her. My deeply attached guy carried the scented tees around for days until I came home.

Good luck!

·
Registered
10,038 Posts
I sure hope your condition improves so you can have surgery. This is very scary. You need tome to heal and worrying about the dog shouldn't be part of that. Can't you board her with the breeder? Isn't there someone, knowledgeable about these high drive dogs that can take her while you recover?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I sure hope your condition improves so you can have surgery. This is very scary. You need tome to heal and worrying about the dog shouldn't be part of that. Can't you board her with the breeder? Isn't there someone, knowledgeable about these high drive dogs that can take her while you recover?
Yes, leaving her at the breeder is an option. But, he has offered to come by and help me get her tired at our home so that she doesn't have to relocate. He lives right down the road from us, so he is just handy. He is a personal friend and we work together so I get some special treatment, lol.

I've been brainstorming on some things that I can do to play and interact with her safely. I have a horse lunge whip with a lure attached to one end. I can sit in a lawn chair and work the whip to let her chase it! We've been playing this game today, and she *really* likes it!

Most recent test shows some improvement on the infection. Still in pain, but its the stone that hurts.

Here's my girl, jes cuz!

·
Registered
856 Posts
Sounds like you already have a good plan...use your friend/coworker/breeder and your son. Maybe have them switch off everyday to exercise them. That way neither of them will feel overwhelmed if they had to do it everyday. A tired dog is a well behaved dog.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
A couple weeks before I went in for hip surgery, I started teaching my boy to pick things up for me. I was going to be on strict non weight bearing for 6weeks and had enough time prior to going,in to lay the foundation. After a day or two of coming home, I continued the training and my boy became an invaluable helper.

I know Genali is still a bit young but maybe with your trainer/friends' help, she can pick up on this plus it will give you focus for a real purpose.

My boy was just at the 1 yr mark and full of himself but when push came to shove I could not have asked for better behavior. I think even as young as she is, she will rise to the change.

I also had a small transport chair (down sized version of a wheel chair) that I could zip around the house in. He and I had a lot of fun with that so maybe you could implement the idea to suite your recovery time needs

I'm really sorry you are going through that and glad that there is some recent improvement.

Had to add that she is adorable!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts