German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We began caring for an almost 4 year old GSD last week. He loves to play fetch with a Kong, but almost always refuses to drop it when he returns with it. I think his owner must have played tug-of-war with him instead of teaching him to drop it. I choose not to play tug-of-war, and am having difficulty teaching him to drop it every time. Any ideas? Thank you!!

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Have a second Kong to give him when he returns. Hand it to him and say "Drop it" and stuff the second Kong in his mouth when he drops the first one. OR, do the same thing but with a treat, and scoop up the Kong while he's chewing the treat up. That's what I would try doing.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
I'd trade it for a really really good treat, something he doesn't get any other time and praise him the instant he lets go to take the treat, then move up to giving a command like 'drop it' or whatever you want to use. A clicker would work well too, to help his recognize that letting go is the desired behavior. You can still play tug, just with something else, not the Kong

·
Super Moderator
32,588 Posts
There are several threads about teaching fetch with some tips that would be helpful for you, just do a search.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts