German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im going to crate train my 3 year old GSD and 4 Year old Doberman, is using a pre-owned crate OK or is it best to buy brand new?

My sister in law has 1 of the same crates she used for her GSD, who is best friends with my GSD if it makes any difference.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Not sure if it's Ok. But i bought a large kennel for my guy on Craigslist for $50 that sold for $220 at Petsmart. He loves his kennel. I just scrubbed it with bleach really well.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
It's totally fine. Just check to make sure there aren't any lose bars, broken parts, etc. I use the same crate for all of my fosters and my dog likes to go in it when they leave.

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
Go with the used crates if they are still in good condition - your dogs won't care that they have been used by other dogs. Just clean them out good, do a little happy dance for all the money you saved, and you are good to go!

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Second hand isn't a problem, just make sure they're in good shape (no damage) and cleaned well

Both of mine I got brand new but on sale so it was a good deal

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, so I got one kennel from Petco and the one from my sister in law, she had the 42" not the 48" which is what I wanted, but my Doby is little smaller than my GSD, so I took some pics and am looking for some feedback regarding the sizes.

48"

42"

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i think a used crate is find. bleach it thoroughly before use.
bleach the crate and the tray. i would use a much larger
crate than the ones in your pics.

·
Registered
32,399 Posts
Sizes are fine. And definitely buy used. I have a $200 crate that I paid $65 for. Cleaned it up and good as new!

·
Registered
32,399 Posts
I like a 48" for my dog but a 42" will work for both the dogs. How long are they going to be in the crates each day?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
They will only be crated when we have company over which is not very often, otherwise they will roam the house as usual and go in and out as they please through their doggy doors

·
Registered
32,399 Posts
Those sizes are fine. Put the GSD in the 48" and the Dobe in the 42".

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
I think the GSD fits the 48" just fine and the 42" looks big enough for the Dobie. Crates don't need to be huge, just large enough for them to be able to stand erect and turn around if you aren't keeping them in their for long hours at a time.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts