German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a name for a sable female pup. I am leaning towards either "Venus", or "Ranha" so far. (Ranha, Think Piranha without the "P" sound.)

I am still open to other name choices though. However, I do NOT do "people names".

Doesn't need to start with any certain letter. And no "Diva". (That is my 10yo black females name.)

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
I like Venus, goddess of love, good juju.

·
Super Moderator
6,286 Posts
I like Rahda over Ranha. I also like Astrid & Skylar.

but if you give me a little more to work with like a photo, letter or theme i can help. naming is my favorite part.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't have a photo yet. (Just photos of the whole litter.) I am going to go see them tomorrow and will have photos then.

"Rahda" is too close to "Rhonda" for me. (I have an aunt and a friend both named "Rhonda".)

One thing I like is names that start with the more "unusal" letters. (Like X,Y and Z.) I thought about "Zyra" too.

I was thinking also of a "water" theme. Anything to do with water or the critters that live in it. (I am REALLY hoping to get a water loving pup since I would REALLY like to do "Dock Dogs" with her.)

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
I was thinking of the name Astrid the other day, and how it would be sweet for a sable girl! I also was thinking of Peyton...can you tell I want another dog~the next one will be a boy though:)

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Ok, I've just read your post that you haven't seen her yet. I will look forward for pictures!

What about Hera (or Gera, another spelling) ? You like Venus so I started thinking Ancient Greek mythology :).

Other thoughts - Spirit, Minx, Iris;
Zina, Zora, Zorana, Yana :),

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Rana means frog in Spanish. In case that helps at all.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally Posted By: GSD07Ok, I've just read your post that you haven't seen her yet. I will look forward for pictures!

What about Hera (or Gera, another spelling) ? You like Venus so I started thinking Ancient Greek mythology :).

You are too funny. I actually DO like "Yana". But that would be WAY too confusing! "Zora" is a good one. I will have to add that to the list! I also like "Exa", but am afraid it might get confusing since that is what Julie calls hers. BUT, it isn't her registered name so I really COULD use it if I want!

Who is "Hera"?

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
I always thought my next female shep would be Salem (kinda different )named after Salem Mass. witch/-itch trials.We all know females can be witchy -itchy unknowable.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Originally Posted By: BlackGSD
Originally Posted By: GSD07Ok, I've just read your post that you haven't seen her yet. I will look forward for pictures!

You are too funny. I actually DO like "Yana". But that would be WAY too confusing! "Zora" is a good one. I will have to add that to the list! I also like "Exa", but am afraid it might get confusing since that is what Julie calls hers. BUT, it isn't her registered name so I really COULD use it if I want!

Who is "Hera"?

I like Yana. It sounds like a very cool name and there are not too many dogs out there with that name

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally Posted By: GSDTrain

I like Yana. It sounds like a very cool name and there are not too many dogs out there with that name
I Like Yana too. But it is GSD07s female GSDs name.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Originally Posted By: DeirdreI did a search on 'water names' and Google answers gave me this:

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=442945

some of the cool ones are

DALIT – Draw Water/Hebrew
NEN - Ancient Waters/Arabic
BAHARI - Sea Man/African
BIEN - Ocean, sea/Vietnamese
KELVIN - A river of Scotland/Celtic/Gaelic
Zared – Hebrew/brook

Can't wait to see pictures!
Bahari- that has a ring to it! I like that.
And I don't think it means frog!

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Originally Posted By: TNGSDYarra or Yara(?) is a river in Australia!
That is a good one!
Here are some of the other "meanings" I found. (ALL might be appropriate.(sp))

Yara means "friend" in Indian.
Yara means "wound" / "injury" and "gash" / "tear" in Turkish.
Yara means "beautiful" in Shaheen.
Yara means "the loved one" in Arabic

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Yara and Yarka is also a short for Yaryna, a Slavic name
Also it means 'ardent' in Ukrainian (just to add to the list
). I like it very much!

Hera, Zeus' wife, is the goddess of marriage and also called the Queen of Heaven. She's a very powerful goddess that you don't want to mess with

Yes, Yana is taken
otherwise we'll have to come up with some kind of nicknames for them down the road

Other names - Vira, Yula, Zhana, Juna, Yalta

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Originally Posted By: Barb E.I really like Yara!

Can't wait to see pictures!
Me too.

And I also discovered that it too fits in with my "water" theme.

"Yara or Iara (Uiara), the Goddess of the River, the Mermaid of the River or Mother of the Rivers, in the Tupi Indian (Brazil) tribe mythology."

Will have to wait a few days for pictures.
Julie is sick so I won't be going tomorrow afterall. I will go sometime during the week next week.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts