German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have a 4-month-old pup and she recently fractured her forelimb. She got entangled with some telephone wires and pulled it down on her. Got scared, started running with the instrument trailing behind her. Took me some time to catch up with her, remove the tangle and calm her down. Post that she was limping, so I took her to a vet. They took some x-rays and said that there is a hairline fracture, which is not at all serious, but her joint looks a bit bent. While the Jr vet thinks, it due to lack of calcium, the Sr. Vet is not recommending any extra calcium and has put her up in a POP cast.

So now though I don't want to doubt both these Vets, I just wanted to make sure whats best for my dog. I have two screen click of the x-rays ( Will be getting the original image files in a few days), which I am attaching to this post.

Any suggestions, what I should & shouldn't be doing or looking at?

Regards
Udayan

Attachments

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
One thing I would consider doing is send the digital images to a board-certified radiologist for evaluation. If you are in a country that doesn't have sophisticated specialty care, you can send them to Europe or the US. The university veterinary clinics in the U.S. often do e-mail consultations for a small fee (under US$100) -- in return, you get an expert report evaluating the xrays and recommendation of next steps.

This is VERY valuable sometimes. A radiology consultation found a broken toe in my dog once that none of the regular vets who were evaluating his lameness could see.

Here's an example of a university clinic that does e-mail consultations at a reasonable price -- there are many, many other places that do this:

https://www.lsu.edu/vetmed/veterinary_hospital/services/diagnostic_imaging/teleradiology_service.php

1 - 2 of 2 Posts