German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After going through a bunch of threads on mange and the treatments I still don't know what to do. My 18 month old GSD was recently diagnosed with localized demodectic mange. The only area she has it is around one of her eyes. It is pretty severe looking, no hair, all red, and very swollen at the moment. I have been battling this with my vet for months. At first they did a scraping and it showed nothing. She was being treated as if it was allergies. Had an allergy test, was given medication (cephalexin, and a steroid i think, cant remember name. Pred...something). Well at first it seemed to work ok but then it came back worse than ever. Went back to the vet and he did another scraping and she was diagnosed with mange on Wednesday.

Now here's what I'm confused about. I was told by my vet that most cases go away on its own but he gave me oral Ivermectin for 30 days anyways. Told me it's safe except in collies. Now that I've done some research I'm trying to decide if I should continue giving her the Ivermectin. I haven't noticed her acting different, she has been on it since Wednesday. If it was unsafe for her would I see a reaction by now? Also her mange is getting worse so far, no signs of improvement. What supplements should I be giving her to boost her immune system? Will the swelling, redness and the hair loss heal completely? Why is it getting worse with the treatment? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. So sad to see my girl like this :(

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Did you read Rafi's thread? That has a lot of good information in it. I boosted his immune system and applied a NEEM oil product. The NEEM seemed to help more than anything else.

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
I treated quite a few fosters with daily ivermectin for advanced cases of mange. The dogs recovered beautifully within 1-3 months the hair grew in. I did not see any particular side effects.

·
Registered
181 Posts
We just got a rescue Monday that has generalized demodetic mange. Pred will make it worse. He's on oral ivermectin right now along with cephalexin because of a secondary bacterial infection. We ordered some Goodwinol shampoo that was recommended by another dog owner whose dog had the same thing.

Dukes mange is all on his hind end starting around the rib cage area, even on his paws, and his face. He stinks really bad. Vet said we'd try the ivermectin for 30 days.

Make sure you get CLEAN scrapings. They need to be checked every few weeks to make sure the mite is gone. If you leave even just one mite, it will come back. I think Duke is around 2 1/2 maybe three. He's also taking benedryl for the itching. The itching has improved tho.

I'll have to look up the thread listed above. This was my first search result on the topic.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts