German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My three year old shepherd loves Nylabones. We haven't used them in the past as our other dogs loved chewing on Kong balls, by Dasha is different. Early on she ignored the Kongs so I gave her Nylabones - the hard nylon kind. Eventually she started liking the Kong Goodie bones, but she still prefers the Nylabones when she wants to have a good chew. The problem is, I've noticed that she has broken off the tips of both of her canine teeth. I strongly suspect the Nylabones are the culprit.

So I need to take away the Nylabones but I need to substitute something. She is a strong chewer and once devoured a whole Chuck-it ball (a piece of which stayed in her belly for 3 months) so I need something tough. I can give her the black Kong Goodie bones in the medium size or the red ones in large. The smaller red ones get torn down too quickly. So many of the Kong toys now are not made of rubber, but instead made of softer or hard plastics. These will disintegrate in no time. So I'm looking for suggestions for hard rubber toys in an interesting shape that might be enticing to her.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,226 Posts
I had to quit deer antlers due to chipping teeth.

split elk antlers they gnaw the dry marrow out and eat it. Also, water buffalo horns seem softer according to what I could find out. but if they get to power chewing on the Buffalo horns they can get straps and pieces off, so I will take it away and let it dry out awhile and then he can kind of start over on it.

My old girl breaks teeth left and right even on the soft stuff so she is not allowed any hard chews at all, only kongs.

·
Registered
9,730 Posts
I have stopped giving chew toys. She seems to be fine without. It is mainly to protect her teeth in case she gets really old.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
My dog's upper canines are worn from chasing and carrying his toys, the rest of his teeth are fine. I don't have chew toys, I give him kangaroo tendons to chew.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts