German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I got a Springer (www.springerusa.com) so that Kayeligh could run beside my bike and she LOVES it. The only problem is, she has scrapes under her armpits from where the harness rubs. We tried the harness that came with the Spring (which really wasn't a harness - just a strap looped back on itself). We've tried the Travelling Dog Car Harness (http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2755199). We've tried one of the Easy Walker leads (http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2751027). We've tried a traditional adjustable dog harness (http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2751403). We've even tried one of the Puppia harnesses. All of them rub. We've even tried putting a Tshirt on Kayleigh BEFORE we put on the harness and also tried putting some lambswool, towels, etc. between her armpits and the various harnesses. We now have run out of ideas, so I am "calling in the troops" (that's you guys!). Do you have any ideas?

The "rubbed areas" aren't bleeding, but they are sore to the touch, and they seem a little raw. I am keeping the areas clean, and have grounded Kayleigh from bike riding until they clear up, but
Should I just let Kayleigh develop "callouses" under her armpits? As long as I keep the area clean? Kayleigh LOVES running beside the bike, so I don't want to ground her permanently.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Are the harnesses too loose or tight? Have you tried a leather harness (tracking or agitation with a breast plate) because the style that I use doesn't go anywhere under the armpits. I would consider letting her run on a collar instead of the harness if her body style prevents a well fitting harness that doesn't rub under her front legs.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally Posted By: workingdawgsAre the harnesses too loose or tight? Have you tried a leather harness (tracking or agitation with a breast plate) because the style that I use doesn't go anywhere under the armpits. I would consider letting her run on a collar instead of the harness if her body style prevents a well fitting harness that doesn't rub under her front legs.
Between all of the harnesses, we have figured out how to get them to fit correctly. The problem originally was that they were too tight. So, we adjusted it (them).

The Springer sight specifically says NOT to use a collar with the Springer for safety reasons.

Where can I get the leather harness you spoke of?

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
On the Black Ice site it says the Springer should NOT be used with a sledding harness. Any idea why?

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
Hmmm. No. I haven't used it lately (I've been using a conventional harness for the Springer and the mushing harness for the scooter) but I used to use it. I'll try it again tomorrow and see if I can figure it out. My guess would be because it puts them so far forward. Sorry then. I guess that was bad advice!

Maybe this one then:

Black Ice walking harness

1 - 7 of 7 Posts