German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just learned that my boss's adult son keeps a choke chain collar on their Mexican hairless terrier dog (don't know actual breed name, its a medium sized black hairless dog). They treat the dog really well but are just ignorant on this issue. The dog stays in the house alone when they are out so I'm afraid he will catch the ring on something and choke himself. I need a good reference page from a reputable source (that a novice dog person might know of) that I can print out and give them regarding the danger of leaving a chain choke collar on your dog unattended. They have always thought its just a regular collar like a nylon collar and have not thought of it as purely a training collar. Any suggestions for a good reference? I've googled it but haven't found anything.

·
Registered
579 Posts
If you can't find something in writing, have them ask their vet about it. No offense to your boss or his son, but anyone should be able to see the danger behind leaving that kind of collar on a dog all the time.

Personally, I don't condone the use of a choke chain EVER, as corrections (even when performed properly) can cause damage to the dog's trachea. I would recommend a prong collar for training, it does sting the dog when you correct, but it doesn't cause permanent damage like a choke chain can. Just my opinions...but hope they help.

Christian

·
Registered
801 Posts
Originally Posted By: Christian2009Personally, I don't condone the use of a choke chain EVER, as corrections (even when performed properly) can cause damage to the dog's trachea. I would recommend a prong collar for training, it does sting the dog when you correct, but it doesn't cause permanent damage like a choke chain can. Just my opinions...but hope they help.

Christian
I don't mean to hijack the thread but recently, a border patrol K9 officer advised me very strongly AGAINST prong collar and suggested choke chains instead. I was leaning initially towards the prong. His argument was that the prong will turn a good tempered dog into an aggressive one. He also said that that's why they use prongs in the border security force. Does that sound right? Again, sorry if I went off-topic, but it seemed like a related topic.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
No, that is NOT right.

It CAN make an aggressive or reactive dog more aggerssive or reactive. But it won't turn a good tempered dog into an aggressive dog.

·
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch
13,571 Posts
Originally Posted By: UConnGSD His argument was that the prong will turn a good tempered dog into an aggressive one. He also said that that's why they use prongs in the border security force. Does that sound right? Again, sorry if I went off-topic, but it seemed like a related topic.
That is total BS. No collar is going to cause a dog's temperament to do a complete 180. It is merely a tool for training, and the prong is more effective, more humane, more adjustible in terms of correction level, and safer than a choker.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I knows tons of people who train obedience with prongs and not one dog has "turned" aggressive. I suppose if you abused the dog with the prong it could do so, but that's with any tool or method. I hear there are a few folks who can use a choke collar as an effective correction but I sure can't and I consider myself a fairly skilled trainer. I agree with Christian2009 in that I don't condone choke collar's ever. This situation, however, is just a home living situation, not a training one. He's already well behaved.

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
When Ciana was a puppy, I used to keep a nylon martingale collar on her with her tags on it. (It's like a choke collar, but it's nylon.) She was in the crate when I was working.

One day I came home from work. Her tags were broken off the collar and she came SCREAMING out of her crate like the devil was after her.

I can't say for sure, put it sure looked like the tags got caught on her crate wires and she panicked. Eventually, she broke the collar loose from the tags. I felt very bad.

Now my dogs only wear flat leather buckle collars (no tags). And now that I know about positive training, I haven't needed any special training collar in years. I keep a set of nylon collars with tags that I put on my dogs when I travel. I keep them in the car in case I'm ever questioned about licenses.

·
Registered
14,034 Posts

·
Registered
801 Posts
Okay, the above arguments for prong make sense to me and in fact, that's what I had initially thought but figured the k9 officer knows a lot more about this than novice me. And that's why I ended up getting a choke chain. But, I use the choke chain only on those occasions when I can't use the harness (which works best for me) -- so probably once a week. And thankfully, I knew enough not to leave it on all the time.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally Posted By: Lauri & The GangMexican Hairless Dog = Xoloitzcuintli

http://www.dogstrainingguides.com/Choke-Collars-Don't-Always-Train-The-Perfect-Dog.html

Middle of the article it talks about not leaving one on the dog 24/7.

Another thing you could point out - since the dog is hairless it could be irritating their skin, constantly rubbing it.

I don't have a collar on my hairless girl unless we are going somewhere.
Thanks, Laurie. I used this link. My boss does see and understand what I'm saying. Her son is very intelligent and headstrong so we are just trying to drive home the fact that this is a potentially lethal collar to have on his dog. At least, he does take it off at night. We thought we had him convinced on Monday but the collar appeared back on him this morning, not sure if out of habit or if it was purely intentional. I'm not giving up!

My mom had a little terrier mixed dog that lived outside. One day I was there and the nylon adjustable collar was WAY too tight (new collar, not grown that way) and it wouldn't get any bigger so I took it off and hid it! It was doubtful I would have convinced them it was too tight. Unfortunately, there are too many people out there who can never be convinced of the overt and obvious basic harm they are doing to their dogs.

·
Registered
15,138 Posts
I have Choke Chains, LOL I have them laying around the house as play toys for my hands or as a Throw chain if needed.

The only one I ever use a throw chain with is Cheyenne because she loves to be obnoxious when I am moving other dogs around. Now if I just jiggle it she knows that if she continues to bark after I tell her to shut up I will throw in her general area. I startled her really big the first time and now I just need the reminder.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Christian [/quote]
I don't mean to hijack the thread but recently, a border patrol K9 officer advised me very strongly AGAINST prong collar and suggested choke chains instead. I was leaning initially towards the prong. His argument was that the prong will turn a good tempered dog into an aggressive one. He also said that that's why they use prongs in the border security force. Does that sound right? Again, sorry if I went off-topic, but it seemed like a related topic. [/quote]

That is ridiculous IMO. It would never turn a dog aggressive if used properly. If someone abuses a dog with it or something, I suppose it would be possible....I don't know.

When I grab Marshall's prong collar, he gives my hand a good lick and sits while I put it on. He's excited it's walk time.

My mom-in-law is a vet, and she has advised me about cases that she's seen where a dog's trachea has been damaged by a choke chain. The prong is much safer.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts