German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
She chewed herself a nasty hot spot on her hip and, as long as it is covered, she pretty much leaves it alone when I can supervise her. When I can't watch her, she is wearing the cone. The panties she wears when in season do not cover the spot so I need something like a full pants. Any suggestions? Preferably something I can order as I already have tried T-shirts and pins etc.
I will have her allergy tested to get to the bottom of this.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Maybe just a pair of toddler soft pants you could cut a tail area out? You could check out a trift store maybe, see what may work.

·
Registered
9,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ha, ha, that was a great idea so I dug through my hubbies drawer and she is wearing an old undie from him. Amazingly cheap and effective; she leaves it alone (because I am around her ;)

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
So nifty that the tail can go out the hole and help hold them on...
What a great idea, even if it's not what the boxer shorts designers had in mind :giggle:

·
Registered
9,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I finally invented my own solution to keep her from licking a hotspot on her hip:. stretchy boxer shorts, hole in the back for the tail, sewed an adjustable cord on the top that connects to the collar. This works when I am around but if she is unsupervised or crated, it's the dreaded cone she wears.

Attachments

·
Registered
213 Posts
Very cute! ? I tried to make something similar for my girl by cutting up some of my husband's scrubs, but they never would stay up for very long, I never thought of using a cord to the collar! Smart idea :)

·
Registered
9,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
After wearing this for several hours I learned that if she lies down, the cord needs more length or it pulls on her collar. I can't believe how patient this dog is.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I love those pics!! But honestly that's a pretty smart solution I'm going to tuck away for future reference.

·
Registered
9,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So...the hot spot has finally healed. Waiting for her hair to grow back. Question is how long do you trust your dog not to re-start this misery after the skin has completely healed? She is still wearing a cone at night and at times when I am not home.

·
Registered
9,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
She got a chance to lick that hot spot again. I have found something that might prevent it; wearing the Elizabethan Collar the other way around. See picture

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts