German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got Onyx (8year old female GSD) a few months ago as a rescue. She had been a brood bitch for a breeder in another state for most of her life (don't know much else about her). She is a very sweet girl and gets along great with my 5 year old male GSD. She is VERY attached to me and has been a little scared/skittish of my husband. I'm wondering if anyone has any tips for helping her feel more comforable with him.

She has gotten gradually better and I know it will take time but just wondering if there is something I could be doing to help the situation. He works at home so is here all the time. He feeds them when I work and I have gotten some yummy treat that only he gives but think that might not be working. She will come take treats from him and lets him pet her but then immediately runs to the other side of the room. When I am here she sticks to me like glue :)

Any ideas???

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Since he's home with her, he might try tethering her to his belt loop and just go about his day with her by his side.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
we do walk them together but he usually has Buddy (our 5 yr old). Buddy just had ACL surgery so our walks are limited right now but she loves our walk time and is fine with him then....probably should have him go with her alone...thanks for the ideas..

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Also, have him try to avoid eye contact with her. The tethering idea I like too. Dont make the tether too short so she gets stepped on. But not too long that she isnt 'close' to him.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I think it will just take time, my other dog is not one with men at all. I always tell people don't get offended because it will take a while. She was adopted as well and I'm not sure if she had a bad male owner or what the case is. She doesnt like when men she doesnt know look at her in the eye, I tell them to act like nothing is wrong and she eventually works her way up to them, it just takes a while. I also give them treats or a toy to give to her as well! I'm going through this right now with a friend that is staying with my husband and I till he finds an apartment (he just got booted out by his gf)

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
If he can do it without upsetting your dog, just have him flip treats at her while he walks by. Ignoring is great. Arby's and is great. Fearful dog websites and the shyk9 yahoo group linked on it are also great. Going by the dog's calendar and not your own will mean a lot in how fast she progresses. An 8 year old kennel girl may take longer regardless of why, but if you find the things she loves (rides? treats? stuffed toys?) and have her associate them with him - but not in a hey! do this! kind of way, she will do well. Thanks for fostering her! I have an 8 year old foster too. :)

Link I hope!
Working with a fearful, scared or shy dog

1 - 8 of 8 Posts