German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Due to work reasons me and my partner have been forced to move in together I have a 4 month old german shepherd and she has two English staff's that are 3 and 1and a half years old.. At the moment they seem not to be getting on he wants to attack the female.. Will they be able to get on together what should I be doing?

·
Registered
7,904 Posts
Ok. So is your dog trying to attack one of the Staffs? How old is your dog? When is the aggression happening? What are you calling "attacking". What are you doing to mitigate the problem? What kind of training have all the dogs had?

What are English Staffs? Staffordshire Bull Terriers? Or something else?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes so my German Shepherd boy is just over 4 months old... I have been training him with the help of a trainer for the last month or so he is very good at basic commands and are currently working extra hard on place commands so that while under supervision introducing him to the English Staffordshire terriers so they are all calm together... The two English staffys aren't the best trained dogs but are very mild manoured... We currently separate them during the day when we aren't at home but the other day my gsd got through a temporarily made fence and was jumping and pushing the female staffys head down I wasn't there but my partner said he was the agressor

·
Banned
7,657 Posts
You need to up your your game! That should be the very last time your dog initiates an "occurrence!" "If" you plan on "blending" this family things need to change now! Your dog needs to be kept on a "Drag Leash" a short leash with no handle to get caught up on furniture (so you can gider him back to "Place" or "Correct" him wit out laying "hands on." In the house all dogs need to be in "Place" or in "Crates" no "Free Roaming" in the house.

Two dogs are a Pair and Three dogs are a "Pack" and your guy is a "High Rank Drive" dog the other two ... not so much. Scroll down here ... "Rank Drive" your dog is young but that's where he's heading in 6 to 7 months time.:

Temperament - German Shepherd Guide

See also:
Leerburg | Introducing a New Dog into a Home with Other Dogs

And what I would do and recommend is here:
http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/7837361-post12.html

All Dogs should be in "Place" or in "Crates" in the home, no Free Roaming" outside is for "Play" inside is for "Chilling Out" ... most likely the "Staffie" owner will see no need for his guys to change anything about how he lives with them?? "Place" can't hurt ... in any case so maybe (Crates) are optional for those guys but for your dog it is not! You need to get a grip on this "Right Now" are there will be "issues" ahead!

It would behoove you to ... get out in front of this now, and "Crates and Place" will keep you from saying the "attack" came out of Nowhere??" You can't stop him if you don't know where he is?? Or ... let it play out and let them work it out ... in which case ... this "may" come in handy.:

Leerburg | How to Break Up a Dog Fight Without Getting Hurt

All are lessons I learned the hard way, ... as I am want to say ... "been there done that got the stitches!" Welcome aboard and ask questions, :)

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
Your puppy is four months old. It is highly unlikely that he is the instigator of anything except rough play. Don't allow it. Rough play can easily escalate into something dangerous.

You have two adult dogs and a playful unruly pup. I would not leave them home alone together. Adult dogs can easily kill a pup accidentally. Don't set your puppy up. Crate or securely separate when you are gone.

In a few months your puppy will be losing his puppy pass. The adult dogs may be mild mannered to you and to him right now, but things may change then. I would definitely get the adult dogs on board with training now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts