German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All, I am new on here and having been looking at other threads in my search for info on breeders and where to get a new pup. I have experience with german shepherds and labs. This would be my first new german shepherd pup. I am looking into working lines, good temperament and good health. I am looking for strong and agile also. I could you some help in which breeders have a good reputation. I have looked into "Blackthorn", "Cold Creek", "Munster Abbey", and "Liberatore". Any help or info is greatly appreciated. Like I said I am new into looking at breeders so please bear with me. Thanks for you help!

·
Premium Member
1,166 Posts
Hello. I have great experience with Munster Abbey. Just got our second pup from them. Our other M.A. Pup is now 11 years old. Unfortunately their website doesn't do them much justice. I highly recommend them. Very honest, knowledgable, dedicated breeders. If you want further info or details I would be happy to provide. Best of luck to you! :)

·
Premium Member
1,166 Posts
Our first dog from them is so smart, sound, loyal, well behaved. Our daughter was 2 when we got him. Never once did I ever worry about them interacting. He was gentle & playful. We take him EVERYWHERE. People are always impressed. No formal training. Unfortunately we don't have many options for training in our area. We just wanted a pet anyway. My all time favorite. Now that he has gotten older we decided we would go right back to the same breeder. After 11 years they still remembered all of us. We got another pup in March. He is even more impressive. The breeders have been doing this for a long time. A lot of dedication goes into their dogs. Kennel is immaculate. Dogs are from the top of the line worldwide. We drove 6 hours to get the puppy. Worth every mile! :) I see a lot of nice breeders recommended here. I only have experience with M.A. & truly feel you wouldn't be disappointed ... Do more research on them of course. Talk to them. Research the pedigrees. I wish they would enhance that website to really show off their stuff. :) very best of luck to you.

·
Premium Member
1,166 Posts
Also ... (forgot to elaborate) ... when I say we take the older shepherd everywhere, I mean EVERYWHERE! :) Hockey game (if you go onto Munster Abbey's Facebook page they posted a picture of him at the game. I sent them the link & they loved it! The local newspaper used us as the photo to cover the story that night), wedding reception (honest! The bride insisted.) I worked for a veterinarian for 12 months in between jobs and I brought him to work one day. No leash. Laid right by my side quietly. A young punk golden retriever puppy yapped at him and tried to get after him at the end of his leash and my guy just cocked his head at me as if to say ``what do I do with this?'' I pointed to him and said ``you stay'' and that was it. Anybody can approach him anyplace. Including the house & car. I actually at one point figured he wouldn't ever have it in him to protect. No barking. No grumbling. No nothing. Hmmmph. Well, one night it was very windy. I was home alone with my daughter & there was a banging noise out on the deck. That shepherd got to his feet in a second & the hair stood up on his back. He growled and stood alert by the French doors. Wow. :) I've learned not to underestimate that guy. In Petsmart there was a handicapped boy in the aisle with his mom. I wasn't really paying much attention & next thing I know my guy is laying right next to the boy. Mom is smiling and saying what a nice surprise. That's what I'm talking about! :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do pretty much plan on taking him everywhere also. Our shorkie puppy pretty much goes everywhere with us too. He's an awesome dog and now we need to get him a friend and a protector as well as a protector for us. I'd like the shepherd to have that "on off" switch much like yours has. If you don't mind me asking how much your new pup cost and how the breeders were. Looking on their site they don't give much info as you said before that their site does them no justice. I have looked on maby sites and seen prices and what not and some are ridiculously high. We are looking to spend a certain amount that satisfoes our budget as well. Thank you for you help and sharing your stories :)

·
Premium Member
1,166 Posts
You are very welcome. I'm so proud of my dogs I love to share. Have to control myself and not go overboard. :) We paid $2100 for the new puppy. They don't accept deposits. Pay in full. Even if puppy isn't born yet. They are in extreme demand. They will show you their elite clientele if you visit. They don't care so much about the status of the buyer. They are just as proud knowing a handicapped person has a dog or just your average pet owner. The puppy was neutered at 6 weeks. That surprised me but they assured me the vet had to convince them as well why it's safe. They've used the same vet forever and apparently liked what he had to say professionally about early (EARLY) spay/neuter. Safer than putting a young dog under. They use a ``twilight'' gas. The puppy is fed before going ``under.'' No anesthesia side effects. Puppy plays and is fully functional minutes after. Hmmmm. I know there is a lot of debate over early vs. full development. I trust the breeder though. The dog is microchipped. Food, collar, leash, toys. The breeders are a husband & wife. Older now. A bit kooky personality I'd say. But wonderful people. Comical. And they are very in love with their dogs. They are very helpful and supportive. Forever. I wish I could get a 3rd now! (my husband would shoot me) I know I'm getting another eventually from them. I can't wait to see your new baby when all is said and done. It's so exciting. Another thing I like is how happy the puppy is. Not hyper happy. Playful. Gentle. Tail always wagging: when he eats, when he sees you, when another animal comes near him, in the car ... he will be 4 months old on Monday. He has those nasty puppy teeth and never once does he bite hard enough to make the terrier mix or the other shepherd yelp. Good kid. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you Cindy for your help, I am going to continue my research and look into those folks. They sound like an excellent breeder. I too am surprise that the pups are neutered at 6 wks, I have read and even with our pup now, to wait a year before getting them neutered. I wonder what the theory behind it is exactly. Hopefully within the next 6 months I'll be posting pictures of our new shepherd pup. :)

·
Registered
126 Posts
I would check with Christine at Blackthorn. I personally would never get a puppy from a breeder that neutered them at 6 weeks of age.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
Honestly, I wouldn't want my 6 week old puppy neutered/spayed either.

I am more familiar with Blackthorne (she is a member here) I like her train of thought when it comes to her breeding program and I also like Liberatore whom I know more thru a friend of mine who trains with her. I also like Liberatore's breeding ideals.

These two 'know' what they are producing and have a vision.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I appreciate all of the input from everyone. I looked at Blackthorn' website before after reading other posts on here. I was very impressed. I also like Liberatore but their website doesn't give too much info really. But I do like the look of the dogs they have. I was wondering if anyone can tell me more about liberatore.

·
Super Moderator
18,687 Posts
Another thumbs up for Blackthorn. I don't know Liberatore.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
I don't think you can go wrong with Blackthorne either.

If you want more info on Liberatore, you can pm Debbieb here on the board, she is good friends with Angie/trains with her.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Jakoda, thanks for the help. I really like what Blackthorn has to show. I will pm Debbieb and get more info on Liberatore. It's always better to have comparisons.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts