German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys/gals,

We picked up Maximus yesterday and his belly seemed a little round... like he was just pudgy. He's made two stools so far and I went and looked at both just now and saw a worm in each one. They were both about 2 inches long. I know puppies have worms normally, but the breeder said he was dewormed.

I'm a little concerned about the roundness of his belly and also the worms. I tried to contact the breeder, but no reply as of yet.

He's had 4 meals so far, all 4 were a mix of chicken necks, breast and beef liver. He loves it and has had no problem eating.

I researched a lot, but not this... and would love input... I'm a tad worried. Max's first vet visit it not until the 10th.

Should I take him in tomorrow?

I know there's a lot of worm threads, but difficult reading through them all (I tried)... so figured I would ask myself.

Sigh...

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
you should always have a new puppy check up within the first 48 hours of getting one, just to be on the safe side.

I would call your vet, get a fecal, (and a worm if you can UGH! LOL),,take it in tomorrow..You don't want to wait on getting him wormed again.

·
Premium Member
11,252 Posts
Roundworms (long thin spagetti like worms) are common in pups....More than one dose of wormer is normally needed. Disgusting as it is, it should not be life threatening! I would take a sample into the vet tomorrow, tell them you saw worms, and get wormer from them....at a minimum he should be wormed 2 days in a row, then 10-14 days later 2 days in a row again since you have seen them.

Lee

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
I agree with Diane. My last two dogs I had to take to the vet within 72 hours as an agreement with the breeder, just to make sure I was satisfied and couldn't find something "wrong" down the road and blame it on them, but it's a good idea anyway. It sounds like roundworm which isn't a huge deal but should be cleared up ASAP. It's good you let the breeder know, they should probably let the other puppy buyers know to look for it or just treat for it. When I got Pan, his breeder said one of the puppies had coccidia or something like that so we made sure to double check for that (he didn't have it) but it was nice of them to let me know.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
so you asked yourself, what was your answer? :laugh:

Hey guys/gals,

We picked up Maximus yesterday and his belly seemed a little round... like he was just pudgy. He's made two stools so far and I went and looked at both just now and saw a worm in each one. They were both about 2 inches long. I know puppies have worms normally, but the breeder said he was dewormed.

I'm a little concerned about the roundness of his belly and also the worms. I tried to contact the breeder, but no reply as of yet.

He's had 4 meals so far, all 4 were a mix of chicken necks, breast and beef liver. He loves it and has had no problem eating.

I researched a lot, but not this... and would love input... I'm a tad worried. Max's first vet visit it not until the 10th.

Should I take him in tomorrow?

I know there's a lot of worm threads, but difficult reading through them all (I tried)...

>>>>> so figured I would ask myself. <<<<

Sigh...

Thanks!

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you! I spoke with the breeder and told her that I didn't feel comfortable bringing Max into the vet, just for a checkup and would rather wait until the 10th, when he was getting his 2nd round of shots... the whole parvo in the vet office bothers me. But now it looks like I'll take him in tomorrow. I do have one of the worms on a stick... I'll go put it in a bag with a stool sample.

From what you said, it does appear to be a roundworm... spaghetti like.

Thanks again!

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
when you visit the Vet carry Max and let him sit on your lap.

Thank you! I spoke with the breeder and told her that I didn't feel comfortable bringing Max into the vet, just for a checkup and would rather wait until the 10th, when he was getting his 2nd round of shots... the whole parvo in the vet office bothers me. But now it looks like I'll take him in tomorrow. I do have one of the worms on a stick... I'll go put it in a bag with a stool sample.

From what you said, it does appear to be a roundworm... spaghetti like.

Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
I agree with Doggiedad, don't put him down on the floor or let him 'lick' anything.

Well I won't be having spaghetti for dinner tonite LOL

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Ahhhh 2 inches isn't anything. When I got mine and dewormed her they were longer then a ruler and lots of them. 3am and everyone in the house was up...I could not believe what I was seeing and I have never seen anything like that in my life:( I would find out when he was dewormed and go from there, let the vet know when he had treatment.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
yeah, it made me remember when I rescued Sami (12 weeks old),,my vet was closed, I called one in town that I knew, told her I wanted this puppy wormed asap as I was bringing her into my home, she said "oh she's probably fine, wait till tomorrow"..I KNEW the dog had worms, well my god about a half hour after the phone call, there was a pile of I swear 1 foot long worms ...Now I can handle alot of gorey stuff, but I just about died.

I called her back and said I'm coming right now with a present for you..Yep I got the wormer:)

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
doggiedad, are you going to eat it plain or with sauce LOL

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I took Riley to the vet the day I got him. He was very skinny and I wanted to get him checked out. The dewormed him and the fecal tests showed parasites so we got pills for those too.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We had macaroni, luckily that was before I saw the worms :)

2 feet long? ugh... that would freak me out. I knew all pups had worms, but the breeder said she dewormed them 4 times I believe. She contacted me back and apologized. I'll see if I can get him in to the vet in the morning... well, it is the morning... lol. These 2-2.5 pee runs are killing me :)

·
Registered
185 Posts
We had macaroni, luckily that was before I saw the worms :)

2 feet long? ugh... that would freak me out. I knew all pups had worms, but the breeder said she dewormed them 4 times I believe. She contacted me back and apologized. I'll see if I can get him in to the vet in the morning... well, it is the morning... lol. These 2-2.5 pee runs are killing me :)
Wow, ouch, the worm issue is terrible but to be expected at 8 weeks.

The first few weeks is going to be rough with all the "potty" runs, but will be very worth it. How has he adapted to your home? Cried much?

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Sorry you had the unexpected surprise. I hope he gets back on track for you soon!
I love, love the pictures of him with Brianna, they are so heartwarming. You can tell a bond has already formed :wub:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts