German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm looking into ideas to help my boy gain weight. He's going to be 4 in a couple weeks, has megaE but it's well controlled with only 2-3 regurge incidents a year.
Currently he eats in a day: 1 cup of the honest kitchen kindly base mix, 2-3 cups cooked ground meat- either beef 75/25 or 80/20, or pork. About a cup of oats, and 2-3 tbsp of coconut oil. He also gets a digestive enzyme, fish oil, and turmeric. I don't know if upping his portions is really an option. I'm looking at possibly just trying to find calorie packed foods or maybe getting away with a snack after dinner.
I've attached some photos to see what others thought about his weight. When he moves all of his ribs are visible.
I'm thinking about replacing the water mixed in with his food with coconut milk but I don't want him to get the runs.
Any ideas or thoughts on his condition are appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,126 Posts

·
Registered
9,730 Posts
To me, he only looks on the thin side in the first picture. I keep Deja at the same weight per advice of her breeder. We are too used to obese dogs.

·
Super Moderator
6,271 Posts
What's his excercise routine like? I think with just a bit more muscle he'd look great. My 4yo male looks very similar at a mere 22.5" and 55lbs - he also lacks good muscle tone after an extensive course on prednisone....

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Can you get a pic straight on of his face. Since he is lean, I'm wondering of his facial structure. If there are areas that normally are filled out even on lean animals or if the areas are a bit shallow. I'm just a novice but it may help with overall assessment for other responders.

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
I think that you're already doing everything right. You've got the regurging under control, and he's pretty healthy looking. To me, he looks VERY good for a Mega-E dog. I'm sure you know they're nearly always very skinny, so keeping one on the lean side of "normal" is pretty dang fantastic. So give yourself some credit for that -- it's a much bigger accomplishment than many might realize!

One thing about THK's suggested food rations on the boxes is they tend to be low for some dogs. I've had an adolescent male needing almost 50% more than they suggested, just due to fast metabolism. He was a healthy dog, but he dropped weight on their suggested portions. Now that he's older, we're able to feed less, but when he was a teenager....it took a lot to keep weight on him. I kind of wonder if Mega-E adults might be a little like adolescents in terms of just needing more than other dogs. Maybe add a mid-day mini-meal of the food he already tolerates well?

With the last severe mega-E dog we had in foster care, the food that packed pounds on best was Diamond Extreme Athlete (soaked and blended into porridge). It blended with water better than other brands, and it's high-calorie. It is not nearly as good a food as what you're feeding though. I think what you're doing is WAY better than that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts