German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me and my family adopted a four month old german shephard puppy about two months ago he had been abused very bad. He had four broken ribs and a broken leg that was so badly taken care of that we had to have it amputated and severly emaciated. Now this is the first time our family has been around this breed and we are in love, but he is sooo stubborn. We dont have alot of money right now to get him into obedience classes right now seeing as though the surgery and medications were well over a grand so if anyone has anny tips or techniques for this breed please share. His only problem is alittle excessive barking, getting in trash, walking me on the leash, and being very uncontrollable around other people and dogs. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
32,394 Posts
What do you mean by stubborn? Is it possible he just doesn't understand what you expect of him?

When does he bark excessively - when he's bored, to get your attention, at other dogs?

Getting in the trash is easy - manage his environment so that's not possible. You can have the best trained dog in the world but if you leave them alone with an accessible trash can fully of interesting smelling stuff, most dogs are going to check it. Sneaker used to get into the trash at night while we were asleep, this a long time ago, before we knew about crate training. She'd go in the kitchen, push the lid up and help herself. We started putting something heavy on the lid before bed so she couldn't do that anymore - problem solved! And this was a dog that would NEVER do anything like that when we were right there, we could leave the cat food on the kitchen floor and she wouldn't eat it because she knew that the bowl was off limits. Clever girl knew that anything on the floor was fair game though, so she would bump the bowl with her nose until some kibble fell out and then eat it off the floor!

Loose leash walking is a skill that can take some time to teach. For one thing, make sure that pulling never works to get her where she wants to go. It can take some patience and persistence, but if every time she pulls you back up (penalty yards) so she's further away, or turn around and go the opposite direction she will learn. I also like to mark and reward correct position with treats. Here are some good tips, I especially like the Silky Leash technique (click on her link for video): Leash Walking | Ahimsa Dog Training, Seattle | Dog and Puppy Tips from Seattle |

Working on better focus: http://ahimsadogtraining.com/blog/2009/08/06/loser-to-lassie-in-7-days/

Nothing in Life is Free, making her work for everything she values: http://k9deb.com/nilif.htm

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The stubborn part is he does what hes supposed to when he wants to. The barking is usually out in public at other dogs and it wouldnt be a problem with me if his bark wasnt so loud n aggressive sounding or if he wasnt all over the place when hes doing it scaring the other person or dog. Not aggressively by no means just excited wanting to play. The trash thing he does alot even right in front of us but i will definately try the clicker training thank you so much for your input

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Clicker training is fun and the dogs really respond to it. Duke sure has been through a lot, poor guy

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah hes been through alot but youd never know when you meet him hes one of the most loving and trusting pups you'll ever meet. He loves everyone.

·
Registered
58 Posts
The barking is usually out in public at other dogs and it wouldnt be a problem with me if his bark wasnt so loud n aggressive sounding or if he wasnt all over the place when hes doing it scaring the other person or dog. Not aggressively by no means just excited wanting to play.
My dog barked like crazy at all the other dogs for the first few weeks we had her. After getting all her shots and being "allowed" to see other dogs up close, we met some of the dogs on our walks, one by one. Just meeting the dogs and getting to play with them decreased the barking 95%... my pup just wanted to play!! I'd say try to meet the other dogs. If you're confident the dog is good with other dogs, then tell the other owner that the dog is a barker, not a biter and he loves to play. I tell the other dog walkers this all the time. I also tell them she barks up a storm as a way of saying she wants to play but eventually calms down (and over time this turned out to be the case).

As for the trash, I finally learned to put all of my wastbaskets in the bathrooms in the showers (we have glass enclosed showers) so she can't get to them. I fully expect one of the kids will turn on a shower one day without first removing the wastebasket!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts