German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:help: Hey there, rambo is 1.6 years old dog and he's like 34KGS (74LBS) he is very athletic, but it seems like he's skinny.
What would you guys recommend to make him gain more muscle?(Workout's, Nutrition)
And please add to your comment how much your gsd weigh's and how old is he.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I wouldn't do anything he seems perfect weight he may fill out a bit more but I wouldn't stress over it males tend to be between 75-75 pounds full grown :)

My GSD is only 12 weeks and weighs 28 pounds his sire is from WGSL and is 3 years old an weighs 110 but thats because of his linage. My pups dam is from Czech working lines is only 70 pounds and 3 years old.

:help: Hey there, rambo is 1.6 years old dog and he's like 34KGS (74LBS) he is very athletic, but it seems like he's skinny.
What would you guys recommend to make him gain more muscle?(Workout's, Nutrition)
And please add to your comment how much your gsd weigh's and how old is he.

·
Registered
32,417 Posts
Weight is all dependent on bone structure and height. I've seen males that were skinny at 100# because of their structure and others that looked great at 85#.

I like to be able to feel my girl's backbone and ribs without them being to prominent or having to push in. her ideal weight is about 65#. If you think he is to thin, add more food to his diet. I would make sure he's on a higher protein food.

This might help you judge his body condition
How to Evaluate Your Dog's Weight - For Dummies

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
You need to post photos.

Most dogs in the USA are FAT FAT FAT, so our mental picture of a fit and healthy dog is sometimes skewed. Lean and fit is what we want.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had the same concern with my dog Rex and kept comparing him to my other dogs who were much heavier. I could see the ribs on Rex and when he would lay on his side it looked as if he was starving to death. I tried to feed him more, (slipping him treats of our leftovers when the other dogs weren't looking) but it made no difference.

I spoke to my vet, and anyone else who had experience with raising dogs, and was assured that this was normal for VERY active German Shepherds. Much more so than my other two guys who tended to be calmer and tire out after a bit of play.

I was afraid Rex was running off his calories and thought I should stop playing fetch with him so much. But every expert I talked to said that this was normal. Some Shepherds are just more active and have leaner builds. In fact, most police dogs have this same type of frame, with lower weight, due to their energy and active lifestyle.
Rex is now almost 3 years old now and has gained a little weight over the past year as he slows down (just a bit) LoL. So don't worry! Just enjoy this phase of his life. :)

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey guys it's nice to see this fast responses :)
And Jax by your chart my dog seems to look ideal.

·
Registered
32,417 Posts
I think he looks good. :) Just adjust his food as needed for his activity level.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
He looks good. Also keep in mind they keep filling out and growing until they are about 3 yrs old. Over the next year he is going to mature a LOT and really bulk up.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
406 Posts
He looks good to me..

MaggieRoseLee
Is that a photo of your dog? He's a stunner:)

·
Registered
232 Posts
He doesn't look skinny to me at all, but then I'm a big fan of keeping dogs lean and fit. Archer ( 14 months) is close to 40 kilos, but there's not a lick of fat on him anywhere either. Beautiful dog, love his handsome face.

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
My 21 month old male weighs in at 73 pounds and is lean but not gangly or rangy ...... Your dog does not look rangy either. Only a 2lb weight gain since Dec says we are probably getting to the end of "bulking up"

·
Registered
538 Posts
Our 15 month old male GSD fluctuates between 73 - 75 pounds. He was underweight as a pup due to digestive issues, but he's in ideal body condition according to our vet now. He is tall, long and lean. With the risk of HD in GSD's I think it's important to keep them lean. I had to stop comparing Jake to other dogs a long time ago. Each dog is different.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 17 of 17 Posts