German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
It has only taken me about 3 weeks to potty train my pup. Closed off most of the house with baby gates. He and I spend nearly all of our time in the living/dining room. I have pushed all the furniture off to one side so I can always see him. If he ever looks like he is sniffing out a good spot, We go outside.

At first, I set an alarm on my phone for every 2 hours. We got up and hung around quietly outside until he did something, then we came in and played for about 5 minutes. Day and night. We slowly increase the time to 4 hours between breaks. Now, we only go outside if he stands on the rug by the front door and looks back at me.

We seven days accident-free. Ironically, the last two accidents were after we had been out at local parks. Ole's issue was that he didn't like to go anywhere except his half of the front yard. There is another thread on that topic at How to teach a pup it is OK to go outside it's potty area?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I bought a 50 foot leash today. I think that's going to fix it because he's used to going potty in a fenced backyard so I am just going to put on the leash and let him run around the yard just like the situation he has now.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
Well thats the thing. So when I brought him back to the breeders house. I told him to go potty and he went. Sooo....lol

I once took my 7 month old puppy to visit my elderly, and cantankerous, neighbor across the street. While we were talking, my pup went and laid on his lawn. My neighbor jokingly said, I didn't say your dog could lay on my lawn, and my puppy immediately got up and moved to the paved driveway and laid down again...much to the amazement of said neighbor!

He was amazed that she "understood" him! And of course I played along, telling him she understands and hears everything you say, so best be careful LOL!

Point is, it waa a cool coincidence, not the dog understanding. Same with your visit back to the breeders. Try to listen to what Chip has been saying. Dogs don't listen, or understand language! They pair reinforcement with actions, and miraculously enough, are able to also pair that with some sort of verbal noise you are making at the same time.

Think about it...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
and......so did Dumbo and he was everyone's favorite elephant! I'm sure your pup, floppy ears and all will bring you many years of happiness.
Well that's what he told me. But he has been great so far.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts