German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just bought a 11 month old German Shepherd from a breeder. So I spent the day with him today and he is listening to me sitting and comes when I call him. Butt....he doesn't listen to me when I ask him to go potty. And I am kind of worried because I don't want him having accidents in the house. How do I get him to listen to me.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
You just brought him home today. My recommendation is to lower your expectations. He is going through a big life change and will need a few weeks to adjust to his new home, new rules and new handler. That said are you wanting him to go potty in a fenced yard or leash walk? Did the breeder tell you if he was house trained? Is he crate trained? If he is crate trained putting him in his crate when you are sleeping or away from home will likely prevent potty accidents in the house. If you have a fenced yard and he is house trained simply showing him where the door to outside is and taking him out often over the next few days will likely do the trick. If it's leashed potty breaks just give him some time to learn the lay of the land. It's all new to him.
As far as listening to you, again it will take some time for him to bond with you. Be clear, consistent and fair in what you want from him and have patience. He has to get to know you and learn that he can trust you.
At 11 months he is adolescent dog and is far from mature. He will continue to need training for some time to come. If this is your first GSD I would strongly recommend that you look into finding a good breed knowledgeable trainer to help you along the way with him.

Welcome to the forum! We love pictures so if you feel so inclined we would love to see some of your boy.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
It is not about listening, it is about learning and teaching your dog. First, have a command when you take him out to urinate/defecate. When your dog begins to relieve himself, praise once with "good (whatever the command is.) When he is finished, praise again in the same way but more enthusiastically and reward with a high value food item and then take him back in.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You just brought him home today. My recommendation is to lower your expectations. He is going through a big life change and will need a few weeks to adjust to his new home, new rules and new handler. That said are you wanting him to go potty in a fenced yard or leash walk? Did the breeder tell you if he was house trained? Is he crate trained? If he is crate trained putting him in his crate when you are sleeping or away from home will likely prevent potty accidents in the house. If you have a fenced yard and he is house trained simply showing him where the door to outside is and taking him out often over the next few days will likely do the trick. If it's leashed potty breaks just give him some time to learn the lay of the land. It's all new to him.
As far as listening to you, again it will take some time for him to bond with you. Be clear, consistent and fair in what you want from him and have patience. He has to get to know you and learn that he can trust you.
At 11 months he is adolescent dog and is far from mature. He will continue to need training for some time to come. If this is your first GSD I would strongly recommend that you look into finding a good breed knowledgeable trainer to help you along the way with him.

Welcome to the forum! We love pictures so if you feel so inclined we would love to see some of your boy.
I am actually impressed how much he listens to me. When he's on his leash walking him if he tries to walk to far ahead of me. I just tell him hey and he stops and waits until I catch up. And he comes to me when I call him and he sits. Still needs a little work on stay. But he's been pretty impressive for the first day. So when I took him back to the breeder after spending the day with him almost immediately about 10 or 15 minutes after he was in the backyard he went potty. So its maybe because of he's used to going potty there. Plus I don't think he goes potty on a leash that often. Because he has a backyard and I don't. But he has been really impressive listening to me. It was rough the first hour because he was scared and didn't know what was going on. But after that I was really impressed he's going to be a good dog.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is not about listening, it is about learning and teaching your dog. First, have a command when you take him out to urinate/defecate. When your dog begins to relieve himself, praise once with "good (whatever the command is.) When he is finished, praise again in the same way but more enthusiastically and reward with a high value food item and then take him back in.
So what I have been thinking since we have another dog. I am going to take him out when we take out dog out potty to watch him. And maybe that will teach him oh hey I am supposed to go potty here. Plus he was alittle skittish his tail was between his legs the whole time. But he was really impressive listen to me especially after an hour with me.

·
Registered
922 Posts
You seem hooked on being so impressed on how he listens to you. He is a young dog new home new people now you want to throw in your other dog. He is already stressed hence the tail between the legs. Have they properly met? Have you even considered to let the new dog acclimate to new surroundings home and you before worrying about how much he listens.
Have you ever had a GSD?
Yep, you are not liking what I’m saying but dog comes first for me.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
I agree, he's young, and unsure. He's old enough to know his life has been been turned upside down. Has he spent his life in a kennel? If so he has no idea of what to do. Also our dogs have never been leashed at home, always free to roam. They can travel hours in a car and still not relieve themselves if on a leash. Record is 12 hours on a camping trip.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You seem hooked on being so impressed on how he listens to you. He is a young dog new home new people now you want to throw in your other dog. He is already stressed hence the tail between the legs. Have they properly met? Have you even considered to let the new dog acclimate to new surroundings home and you before worrying about how much he listens.
Have you ever had a GSD?
Yep, you are not liking what I’m saying but dog comes first for me.
Well it's definitely not good if my dog is totally shut off to me. Lol so don't see why I can't be happy about that?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I agree, he's young, and unsure. He's old enough to know his life has been been turned upside down. Has he spent his life in a kennel? If so he has no idea of what to do. Also our dogs have never been leashed at home, always free to roam. They can travel hours in a car and still not relieve themselves if on a leash. Record is 12 hours on a camping trip.
So him not being totally shut off to me is definitely a good thing. I think getting him a longer leash like 30 feet will help. Because she's used to roaming around in a backyard to go potty that's probably what I am going to do.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I don't know if it is a matter of semantics or misunderstanding on your part. When you talk about your dog listening to you, it sounds like you believe he understands what you are saying just because you repeat something. Dogs have to be taught what words mean by reinforcing a particular behavior that are paired with a command. It has nothing to do with being shut off from you, whatever that means. It takes a great amount of repetitions and reinforcement for a dog to reliably learn a command. Consistency in how the command is given, timing and frequency of reinforcement are also vital aspects of teaching a dog a new behavior.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I stated in other comments that he comes over when I call him. So pretty sure that's him understanding what I am saying.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I stated in other comments that he comes over when I call him. So pretty sure that's him understanding what I am saying.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
So why doesn't he "listen" to you when you "ask" him "to go potty?" Listening is something humans do. A dog hears sounds coming from your mouth and those sounds acquire meaning by pairing them the display of a behavior and a reinforcer which will increase the likelihood the dog will follow the command next time. It is about the ABCs of learning. The antecedent is the cue or command that tells the dog which behavior you want. If the correct behavior is displayed, you reinforce the behavior with something that will strengthen the behavior, which is a consequence.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I would just take him out every 2 hours if you can, especially after eating and before bed. And be happy / rewarding when they potty outside, so they know that's what you want. That's what we did when our rescue first got here. (We didn't have a fence until 4 months in, thanks to our crazy HOA).

At night when we slept, he was in his crate (they don't like to soil in the crate because it's a small confined area).

After a week, I made the potty breaks every 3 hours, then every 4-5 hours, and we've stayed at about every 5-6 hours now. If he has to "go" in between regular times (very rare), he'll go to the back door and stand there with his nose pointed out. ( When he sprained his paw, he held it in for over 12 hours, so there is really no reason a healthy adult dog should suddenly piddle on your kitchen floor if they understand the concept! )

Mine had already been trained by his foster mom to come on a whistle.
He's great with it, but I don't whistle well! So he had to learn the verbal command...
Just spend some time with your dog, you'll figure out what he knows/doesn't know.
It's early days yet!

·
Registered
5,182 Posts
Instead of worrying about why, give him plenty of opportunity to pee outside. I would take him out every 30 minutes until he lees, then give praise and keep doing that for a few weeks. Once he goes you can wait a few hours then try again. Don’t assume he has learned if he pees outside. Keep up the routine for a few weeks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So why doesn't he "listen" to you when you "ask" him "to go potty?" Listening is something humans do. A dog hears sounds coming from your mouth and those sounds acquire meaning by pairing them the display of a behavior and a reinforcer which will increase the likelihood the dog will follow the command next time. It is about the ABCs of learning. The antecedent is the cue or command that tells the dog which behavior you want. If the correct behavior is displayed, you reinforce the behavior with something that will strengthen the behavior, which is a consequence.
Well thats the thing. So when I brought him back to the breeders house. I told him to go potty and he went. Sooo....lol

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
@sage.krause you mentioned you took him back to the breeders house. Was this a trial run to meet your other dog and family? See if he is a good fit for you? Is the breeder helping you with training of any kind? Sounds like he was not a kennel dog but a house dog...is this the case? I'm not trying to be nosey...it all matters.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
@sage.krause you mentioned you took him back to the breeders house. Was this a trial run to meet your other dog and family? See if he is a good fit for you? Is the breeder helping you with training of any kind? Sounds like he was not a kennel dog but a house dog...is this the case? I'm not trying to be nosey...it all matters.
I spent a couple of days with him and he let me take him home to see how it will go with my other dog. Went great they immediately bonded. But yes he is a house dog

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well he already knows how to stay and sit also potty trained. Just think he needs to be around me more. Because he hasn't spent more then 5 hours together.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts