German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when we first got our gsd female i was unemployed so i was at home with my gsd and 3 year old daughter all the time and still am now. now she is 6 1/2 months old. the problem we have is when im not home and leave her alone she goes crazy she scratches at the door and always ends up hurting her nose. even when my fiance stays at home with her she does not behave. my fiance said she barks at her, bites her and freaks out. how can i fix this problem were having? any suggestions? thanks

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
Crate her when she is alone.Your fiance needs to work with the puppy and give her treats so she respects her as she does you. Have her feed your puppy and spend time playing her to build a bond.

·
Registered
32,036 Posts
First, your fiance needs to start working with her so she knows all people are in charge. I get the same complaint from DH about how Jax is a different dog when I'm home.

Second, it sounds like she has a bit of separation anxiety. I don't have any idea how to deal with that. Never had too but I"m sure someone on here can help you. do you crate her at all? Maybe that is the solution when nobody is home. I wouldn't leave a 6 1/2 month old out alone.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I totally agree with jax 08. Also walking with her on leash will also help. Good luck

·
5,627 Posts
I second the fact that your fiance needs to be apart of the dog's training. It would be great if they could take a class together so the fiance learns how to manage the pup.

And I also agree that is sounds like she has some separation anxiety. Do you ever crate her when you are home? Has she been taught to be on her own at all since it sounds like someone is always around?

A great booklet for how to treat separation anxiety is I'll Be Home Soon by Patricia McConnell. It's a cheap, short booklet but has wonderful information about how to desensitize your pup to your coming and going.

If you don't have a crate, get one. I think a plastic airline crate would be best for her because it is enclosed and den like and she can't hurt herself on the wires.

To start getting her used to the crate, you can search you tube for "crate games" to play. A kong stuff with yogurt or peanut butter and frozen is a great snack for in the crate that distracts the pup from you leaving.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
I agree- get a plastic crate, pop him in without any words of goodbye or excitement. Same when you let her out, wait a few minutes after you get home and avoid getting her all worked up. Start practicing a few minutes and increase the time. My pups never knew if I was leaving the house for an hour of if I just wanted a few minutes to wash the floor or something, so there wasn't any build up of anxiety. I don't know what it is about me but I've never had a dog of any breed that had separation anxiety- used to hurt my feelings a little but now I'm grateful. As for your fiance, maybe she could join you in walks but hold the lead, give some commands, teach tricks like shake or spin, something to engage the puppy's attention and attentiveness.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I agree with everyone else about crating your puppy when you aren't at home and having your fiancee be a part of her training and playtime. I also will give a "wait" command when I open the crate door to let my dog out. Especially is she is in her excited mode. That way it gives her a minute or so to calm down and relax.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts