German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
My 11 week old pup keeps peeing in the house. I take him out about every 30-45 mins when home. I go home at lunch to let him out but he still does it and I don't know how to get him to stop. Thankfully we don't have carpet but it's getting old fast. he knows he's not suppose to pee inside because when I'm cleaning it up he tucks his ears and shows remorse.
so here is our normal routine.
  1. wake up at 645 and take a walk, he pee's and poops.
  2. take a shower and he eats his breakfast then and I get dressed and take him out again after about 30 mins and he usually poops and pee's again.
  3. come home at noon and let him out again poop and pee.
  4. come home at 530 and let him out
  5. every 30-45 mins let him out.
but today he pee'd again while I was in the shower. I'm just at my witts end with it and I haven't raised my voice or anything like that.

Registered
I have the same problem with my 13 week old puppy. I started using puppy training pads until he gets the hang of it. Also I have to limit his water before bedtime because he was also peeing in his crate at night 馃槚

Registered
I'd start by putting newspapers by the door you take him out. When he looks as if he's looking for a spot quickly pick him up and put him on the newspapers and stay there reassuring him.

If you catch him passing water let him finish then pick him up and place him on the papers gently but firmly admonishing him.

If all goes well then he will go to the door papers to pee and you can quickly take him out when you show praise and reward him.
Best wishes.

Registered
At this age, if you aren't actively watching him, he's up to no good. Try restricting his freedom and put him up when you can't watch him. That means when you're in the shower, when you have to focus on a lengthy task in another room, when you're making your breakfast, etc. He doesn't know the house rules yet and must be taught them and reminded of them constantly. If you're not watching him, you can't reinforce house rules.

Registered
Are you crate training him? An 11 week old puppy shouldn't be allowed to roam free in the house.

Registered
I鈥檓 honestly slightly shocked at some of these replies. Puppies pee a lot. Never ever punish a puppy for YOUR mistake that allowed him to go in the house. DO NOT use puppy pads or newspaper. That will only confuse him way more. He won鈥檛 understand why sometimes it鈥檚 okay to go in the house and other times it isn鈥檛. THIS IS A BABY. He鈥檚 11 weeks old. You wouldn鈥檛 expect an 11 month old human child to be potty trained. He physically cannot control himself yet, and no, he doesn鈥檛 understand that it鈥檚 bad to do it in the house. He鈥檚 simply reacting to your frustration.

He needs to go out more often. If he can鈥檛 hold it 30-45 minutes, take him out every 20. Don鈥檛 take your eyes off of him. Crate him or tether him to you so you don鈥檛 miss his signals that he has to go. If he has a mistake, it鈥檚 100% on you. He will need to go out after every single nap, after he eats, drinks, or plays. I took my puppy out nonstop. Way more than I had to. But guess what? I had so few accidents. Puppies are hard work, and you鈥檙e expecting way, way, way too much out of yours.

Registered
Does he go in the crate?
If yes, make his space smaller and reduce time between visits outside. Rule out a UTI
If no, then don't let him out of your site when he is out of the crate. Rest of the time put him in the crate when you can't watch him like a hawk. Slowly increase time between visits outside, as he grows up.

Registered
I would also watch his water intake. Take it away three hours before bed and give it back in the morning

1 - 9 of 9 Posts