German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a GSD today. At first I made sure to touch her while she ate because that is what I was told to do by someone who raised them years ago.

I am concerned because at first she did so well. Then the only thing that changed was I brought in my two other dogs but kenneled them while I let her finish her bone. All seemed fine; then it happened my son pet her and she growled! I told him to tell her UGH UGH (we don't use no).

Then I asked my daughter to see if she could (she reached with confidence, so that's not it) my daughter reached down and the dog did it again.

Then I testing the waters to see if she just did not see my children as alpha's tried myself and she did it to me.

I would be a liar if I told you I didn't get a little fear factor when she growled at me. I took the bone anyways and put her up in her kennel after saying ugh ugh

Now I have a little concern just because of the issue but also because a retired Police GSD got me when I was five over food and almost took out my eye (but yes I still own one. lol).

Basic info

She is 3 months old
Just got her today
smart as a whip- trained her 3 tricks in one day:confused:

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
First the pup has no clue who you are yet. You just got her today. There isn't a bond, there is no relationship between you yet.

Please don't play with the food or harass her while she is eating. That is a sure way of creating food aggression.

If you want her comfortable with you while she is eating, just toss good things in her bowl when you walk by. Respect her while she is eating, give her good bits of food when you walk by and you shouldn't have a problem.

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Hand feed her. My pup came from the shelter with some resource guarding issues. I make him wait for his food. I make him work for every bit. Sit, Watch, Touch, Wait. I always give. I never take. This has worked wonders for my boy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hand feed her. My pup came from the shelter with some resource guarding issues. I make him wait for his food. I make him work for every bit. Sit, Watch, Touch, Wait. I always give. I never take. This has worked wonders for my boy.

Thank you. I know she enjoys being hand fed too because when we first brought her home she gave us her food. lol. Like at it from the bowl dropped it in our hands then re-ate it out of our hands:p

·
Premium Member
7,904 Posts
Stop messing with her food. If she feels like she can't get any peace when eating she will resort to guarding. Teach your children to walk past and toss goodies into her bowl but never try to take it. That way age learns that people coming near her good or bones means good things.

She does not know you, she does not trust you, she is in a new place, new people and needs to feel she us safe.

Don't create a problem trying to prevent one. I have NEVER had an issue with food aggression in my house. Because my dogs trust that when I give them something I don't take it away without something better being offered.

Give your puppy a chance to learn to trust that she is safe and in good hands before " testing" her.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hmm

I am not sure why people are assuming we are messing with her food? She took the bone laid with us then when someone reached out to pet her she growled. Thanks for the advice though:)

·
Super Moderator
32,370 Posts
Even if you're not messing with her FOOD, you are messing with HER while she's trying to eat, or when she has a high value item such as a bone:

I just got a GSD today. At first I made sure to touch her while she ate because that is what I was told to do by someone who raised them years ago.
Some pups are going to be perfectly fine with that and some are not. For the ones that aren't, you could be creating a problem rather than preventing one, as gsdsar and Twyla said.

A dog who trusts that you're not going to suddenly take away something that she values (and I'm not implying that you're going to do this, but please try to consider the situation from the puppy's perspective - she does not know you and your family yet) has no need to guard valuable resources from you. Where did you get her from - breeder, shelter, rescue? Do you know her history?

Here's a previous thread about a similar situation, except the puppy is a couple of months older and actually bit the owner: http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/puppy-behavior/256770-i-am-breaking-down-right-now-tears-confused.html

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
I agree with Debbie, and you just got her, let her settle into your household.

By petting her while she has a HIGH value treat, she is becoming defensive and your setting her up for future issues.

Easy fix, hand feed her meals, NO HIGH VALUE bones, let her settle into your household

1 - 8 of 8 Posts