German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to find out if there is a home method for dealing with a yeast problem in the ears. I was told by the groomer Saturday that Cisco, our 5 1/2 mo old pup, has a yeast infection in his ears. I had noticed that he was shaking his head alot recently. When he went in for his neuter last month, the vet checked his ears but said nothing was wrong, just dirty. She cleaned them and he seemed to do OK for a little while. Now he's shaking again and his groomer said the cotton ball smelled bad when she cleaned his ears. I have called the vet but they are off for the holiday today. Anything I can do till I can get him in?

·
Registered
32,553 Posts
I wouldn't screw around with ears. I feel the best way to deal with it is to get him in tomorrow and get some medicine for him.

If he has recurring problems with his ears, you may want to look into changing his diet. From what I read, diet can make a huge difference in ear problems.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, I will get him in tomorrow and also ask her about his diet.

·
Registered
669 Posts
The only way to detect that your dog has a yeast infection in the ears is to swab it and check it out under a microscope. Smelling it isn't it a reliable indicator. It might be infection as well. Your best bet is to take him to the vet to get it checked out. I've seen many ear infections both bacterial, allergy induced, and yeast. Its best to have your vet check it out. The ears are delicate and many "homemade" meds do more harm than good. Good luck.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got a call back from the vet. They are in the office today, just happened to be real busy when I called, that's why I got the voicemail. They are going to see him later today so cross your fingers that it's not bad.

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
I dealt with yeast ear infection when mine was about 12 weeks old. The swabbed his ears to test for mites-no mites but yeast. They cleaned his ears out and showed me how to do it. They gave me a ointment to drop in his ears-they cleared up quick.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Corn starch worked great for our dog. He had yeast infection in both ears and they smelled very very bad ... someone from a local rescue told us to try corn starch and after about 5 applications, the infections were gone.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
The only way to detect that your dog has a yeast infection in the ears is to swab it and check it out under a microscope. Smelling it isn't it a reliable indicator. It might be infection as well. Your best bet is to take him to the vet to get it checked out. I've seen many ear infections both bacterial, allergy induced, and yeast. Its best to have your vet check it out. The ears are delicate and many "homemade" meds do more harm than good. Good luck.
I agree. My female has had a few yeast infections. The correct treatment from the vet actually costs less than trying to concoct home made remedies that more often just push or flood the harmful yeast further into the ear canal. Ear problems of any kind can make a dog absolutely miserable so I wouldn't play around with it. Get the correct diagnosis and treatment from the vet.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update: Ok, so Cisco saw our vet yesterday. She tried to look in his ears but the little man was adamant that it wasn't going to happen. He is one stubborn little man. She did a swab and no mites (thank goodness) but yes, he does have a yeast infection. She gave us some drops (Mometamax) to put in his ears once a day for 10 days. It says eight drops per ear but since we have to hold his head tight to do this, she said just one big squirt/squeeze should do it. Poor little man, his ears hurt so bad. Hopefully we can get this under control. She says if he keeps having yeast infections, she wants to check him for allergies. If that's the case, he will have to be on allergy meds year round. UGH!!

·
Registered
32,553 Posts
Instead of allergy meds year round...find out what the allergy is and avoid it. It's very possible it's a food problem. Read the RAW forum. Time and again, recurring problems have been helped by changing to a grain free diet. What are you feeding him?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you to everyone. Really glad I took him in.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We switched him over to a food called Bil-Jac about 3 mo ago. His and Sadie's coats are beautiful and we don't seem to have any other issues with it except for this possible allergy issue with Cisco. I had gotten a lot of advise on foods from this forum when my Sadie was weaning the pups. I was so confused with all the choices people gave me. We tried RAW and that so did not work for Sadie. We were dealing with clostridium (think thats how its spelled) issues left and right. She was constantly on meds. Haven't had to deal with the loose stools since switching foods. I admit that I'm so unsure of what to feed them. We have tried a few that were recommended but to no avail. Help!!!

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
Good that you took him in so you know it's yeast.

My friend's dog always has the same issues. Changing to a Fish/Sweet Potato based food helped a bunch.

And she now never uses the meds from the vet if there is a flare up, instead she just mixes up a batch of the Blue Power Ear Treatment. Just make sure you administer it outdoors cause if they shake their head and it sprays around, it will stain.

BLUE.HTM

Blue Power Ear Treatment Bichon Frise

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I printed out the Blue Power Ear Treatment yesterday. Didn't want to try it because everyone said I really needed the vet to look at him. I'm really glad I took him in. This is his first ear issue and luckily its just yeast and we caught it right away. Should I consider the Blue Power if he starts with the ear issue again or should we continue to take him in. I want to do the best for him. Thank you for the info. What do you think?

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
I don't use the blue ointment. For me, mometomax is much cheaper, doesn't leave blue stains all over, and I KNOW it works. When my dog had her first infection there was still plenty left. I guess I am uncomfortable using something that floods the ear, this can push the yeast deeper. The mometomax will kill the yeast and then when the dog shakes their head, it helps pull out those stinky gobs. What I have are these pre-moistened ear wipes I get at the pet store. Each day I wipe out the ears (but DONT push them in, again, pushing wipes or cotton balls in there just jams the yeast deeper into the canal). Usually after I put in the ointment, the dog shakes their head. This helps work out all the yucky stuff. When I drop in the ointment, I massage the dogs ears to work it around. They LOVE this, often groan and lean into me because it feels good.

I am careful with ear issues because my in-laws Cocker spaniel suffered terrible yeast infections for years. It left him deaf and severely impaired his quality of life (he was miserable and hated to be touched).

If it is caused by an allergy, I would definitely look into dietary changes.

My dog's were caused by being on antibiotics. The antibiotics kill off good bacteria that manages yeast, so after a while yeast builds up and she gets an ear infection. It's possible you have the same problem, assuming your dog was on antibiotics for the clostridium (I am familiar with this, as my friend's GSD has had it twice).

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
For my friends who know their dogs are prone to the yeast infections, saving the expense of a vet visit and using the Blue Power does the trick.

They did change their dog's diet which was a huge help too.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Not sure if my dog has ever had a yeast infection.... but she has had her fair share of stinky ears and days and days of shaking her head. The clinic vet where she gets her vaccines recommended a half-and-half mixture of white vinegar and water as an ear cleaner. It has worked wonders! I clean her ears out, leave her outside for a few minutes to shake any remaining gunk out and Poof! no more stinky ears. Vet says its the acidity of the vinegar that helps to kill smelly yeasties :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts