German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
nothing has changed in beamers diet. she is eating 3-4 cups of canidae chicken & rice, & she also has some steak or pork with her meals. we have given her NOTHING different.

but the past two days, she has had constant diarreha. all day long, & all night long. we have to take her out at least 5 times at night. it is just like water, not chunky at all. yesterday, i had to go to the store & when i came back she had pooped all over her crate. & this morning, i guess we didn't hear her whining, because she pooped all over our laundry room.

PLEASE help..

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
Since it's been going on two days, I would call the vet.

I would do that because in my mind, I would be thinking I would want to fast her for 24 hours, but in reality I would be too nervous to because of the amount of fluids she has lost. SO I would ask my vet to check her out, do her bloodwork, take a fecal and then if all was okay, see if I could fast her for 24 hours before starting her on a bland diet for about 3 days.

Has she been exposed to any pond water or stuff like that? Where giardia might be rearing its ugly head (or am I making that up about giardia?).

·
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch
13,571 Posts
Probably giardia or coccidia, or any number of other things. Just like people, sometimes dogs can catch a bug and develop a bout of digestive upset for no particular reason.

As long as the diarrhea is the only symptom and there's no lethargy or any other signs of problems, I wouldn't head to the vet just yet. I'd fast her for 24 hours. As much water as she can drink, but no food. Give her digestive system time to settle. Then when you start feeding again, start with small portions. You can also give dogs Kaopectate or Pepto Bismol to help with diarrhea. Dose as you would a child. NOT Immodium.

If you can't get her to drink or she appears to be getting dehydrated, or starts showing symptoms other than just digestive upset, then I'd definitely call the vet.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
we have a little fountain thing in our back yard that is kind of green, & weve caught her drinking out of it, but that was a couple months ago. thanks for the advice, ill call her vet.

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
yup call the vet

·
Registered
67 Posts
I agree with calling the vet. The only other thing that I wanted to add was when my puppies started on the canidae they were always fine for a few weeks then they got the bad bad Diarrhea. They both went to the vets and they told me to do the chicken and rice/or hamburger. After about 4-5 days they both went back to eating the canidae and they were fine.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
shes had canidae for like 5 months now or so.. but i think i found the problem. my dh said he was looking on google & found something about feeding whole milk with her kibble to help "bulk her up". so we've been giving her a little with each meal..

well i googled giving whole milk & of course found out its horrible for dogs & to never do it (grrrr to dh). so i am definitely cutting that out of her meal IMMEDIATELY.

·
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch
13,571 Posts
Dogs shouldn't have cow's milk. So yes, that is likely the source of the problem. She's probably experiencing the same thing lactose intolerant humans would go through if they drank whole milk.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have a son who is lactose intollerant. Its not fun! Poor kid cant even eat ice cream without paying the consequences! Hope shes feeling better soon!

·
Registered
15,138 Posts
I would fast her for 24 hours. Make up some chicken or beef broth and add some to her water to encourage her to drink.... Warning here, depending on how much she drinks she will have to pee a lot more than normal. I gave this to Raya one and didn't really realize how much she drank and the poor girl drenched her bedding in her crate over night.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
our 16 month old daughter is lactose intolerant too hvaclu. it stinks! she gets so sick if she has anything more than just a little yogurt/ice cream/cheese, she is sick for like 3 days.

wisc.tiger- thank u for the helpful information. how much chicken/beef broth should i add? her water bowl holds about 3 cups of water.

·
Registered
56 Posts
My GSD reacted poorly to Pepto-Bismol. A dog anti-diarrhea medication called Pectillin made by Lamert Kay stops her up within one day. Careful being too aggressive with it though, it takes a day to work and then it REALLY stops her up...too much.

However, I would confirm its not giardia or a similar nasty beforehand !

1 - 13 of 13 Posts