German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:help:

Okay, first 24 hours he ate like a piggie poo. Now, not much.
This boy is underweight and needs food!
I have tried what has been suggested, to hand feed. I have done that, and it works for just a couple of handfuls.
Then I noticed (by accident)
if I am standing in the vicinity of his dog food, he will chomp happily but I had better not move or he will walk away from it and go to follow me.
However, even with me standing there, he does not finish. I am measuring out his food, so I know I am not giving him too much.
Question is this. If he doesn't finish should I pick up his bowl removing it so not to get a picky eater as I have been advised by others?
I am bothered a bit, and maybe I am a little too anxious since he hasn't been here that long, but I do not want him to not have food available if he does decided to munch on and off.
Other than this, he is so happy, full of life, energetic.
Sigh..

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
I will get many disagreements on this but what worked for me and my picky eater was to leave the food out and have only a cup or 2 in the dish. She feeds herself throughout the day and I just keep putting in a couple more cups whenever it is empty. That way I know how much she is eating and I found that she is eating 3 or more cups (of Orijen) per day. Sometimes she eats a little during the day, sometimes she saves her appetite for the evening. I often 'enhance' it with a sprinkle of cheese or broth.
She has maintained a good amount of meat on her bones and is still slender but I can't easily feel her ribs or hips. Make sure he gets a lot of exercise to help his appetite. Since he is new and has attached himself to you then give in an stick around while he eats until he has built up his confidence and trust. Give him time to build himself up gradually.
Good luck and blessings on you for rescuing him.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Both of our dogs go through this from time to time. We have always fed them at the same times every day. Once in a while, one of them will not eat, for whatever reason. Since we have 2 dogs, we pick up the bowls after a few minutes.

I think Chance has been through so many changes over the last few days, it may a bit of stress. On top of that, I think he was getting fed only once a day at the shelter, if I remember correctly.
IMO, I would give him some time eat and then pick up the food. He is going to need some time to adjust to everything that's happened to him so it may take some time. Add to that the fact that he's still having new experiences. The groomer, vet visits etc.

It he seems happy and healthy otherwise, I would let him continue to adjust and keep doing what you're doing. He'll come around and start eating and consistency on your part will help build the routine.

I've never had this as a chronic problem with a dog, so these are just opinions. I'm sure there are plenty of people who have gone through this.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Both of our dogs go through this from time to time. We have always fed them at the same times every day. Once in a while, one of them will not eat, for whatever reason. Since we have 2 dogs, we pick up the bowls after a few minutes.

I think Chance has been through so many changes over the last few days, it may a bit of stress. On top of that, I think he was getting fed only once a day at the shelter, if I remember correctly.
IMO, I would give him some time eat and then pick up the food. He is going to need some time to adjust to everything that's happened to him so it may take some time. Add to that the fact that he's still having new experiences. The groomer, vet visits etc.

It he seems happy and healthy otherwise, I would let him continue to adjust and keep doing what you're doing. He'll come around and start eating and consistency on your part will help build the routine.

I've never had this as a chronic problem with a dog, so these are just opinions. I'm sure there are plenty of people who have gone through this.
Thanks all. I am sure Chance is fine, it is his worrywart owner who needs the help. :crazy:
Eileen

1 - 4 of 4 Posts