German Shepherds Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
I would not free feed, especially with more than one dog. I feed twice a day, half the daily food (measured) in each meal.

By doing this, I know all dogs get their set share and who is off their feed. Much harder to know this if you free feed.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I have a 12 year old female pug and a 4 1/2 year old male shepherd. Both eat Timberwolf Organics. I have tried Wellness on them and they don't like it. Just because it is a good food does not mean they will like it. Watch the Pro Plan with the pug. Mine developed yeasty ears and anal gland problems to the point the vet wanted to remove the glands.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Originally Posted By: JamesFamily13676Ok one more question, do you all free feed or is there meal times? if so how often?
as a pup i would recommend feeding at least 3 times a day (small serveings) and then once past 6 months cut it down to twice a day. thats more of the text book method and one that i used. i feed once in the morning before i go to work at 5am and then at 5pm

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Well we went to the store & decided to try a food call taste of the wild. It looks pretty good & rates 6 stars on the dog food list. plus it said it was good for all stages of life & big & small dogs so I am hopeing it works out. I started mixing it with my pugs food tonight.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
I've been using Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream for about 4 months now. Ava loves it, but it does have a strong smell, I suggest getting a container to keep it in. Ava constantly itched on other foods, but does very well on this one. Hope it works well for you.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
i didnt quite catch the age of your gsd. if its still a growing pup, tast of the wild is rather high in calcium. i dont see why they advertise it as an all life stages food, as all indications are that closer to 1% calcium is desired for our pups. i think the taste of the wild is over 2% on all their formulas.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Originally Posted By: roxy84 i dont see why they advertise it as an all life stages food, as all indications are that closer to 1% calcium is desired for our pups.
Because AAFCO says it is OK.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Re: Need Help with BEST food for my GSD & Pug?

i know you were being sarcastic (i hope).

we should all bow down to aafco, and feed the following food (since it meets their standards)

Ground yellow corn, chicken by-product meal, corn gluten meal, whole wheat flour, beef tallow preserved with mixed-tocopherols (source of Vitamin E), rice flour, beef, soy flour, sugar, sorbitol, tricalcium phosphate, water, animal digest, salt, phosphoric acid, potassium chloride, dicalcium phosphate, sorbic acid (a preservative), L-Lysine monohydrochloride, dried peas, dried carrots, calcium carbonate, calcium propionate (a preservative), choline chloride, vitamin supplements (E, A, B-12, D-3), added color (Yellow 5, Red 40, Yellow 6, Blue 2), DL-Methionine, zinc sulfate, glyceryl monostearate, ferrous sulfate

·
Registered
7,782 Posts

Originally Posted By: roxy84i know you were being sarcastic (i hope).
ABSOLUTELY!!! That is why I put the "eye roll" smiley.

Let me guess, that mess of ingredients you posted
, that can be found at the local grocery store right?

·
Registered
2,209 Posts

starts with a B and it's FUL of goodness!

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Originally Posted By: roxy84

starts with a B and it's FUL of goodness!
I figured it was something like that.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts