German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Grissom loves going for rides in the car, but he does not like getting up into my Ford Escape or getting down. I was thinking of a ramp. Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions for me? Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
How old is your dog?
Is there some reason he can't physically get into the car then get a ramp yes.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He's just a puppy. He's 18 weeks. I had been reading about putting too much stress on their joints by having them jump down so I just thought it would be easier. Should I not consider it at this age? What would you do to encourage him to jump down? Thanks!

·
Registered
936 Posts
Is there a lower entry from a side door where he can go to the floor and then up to the seats or back?

You can also teach them, which we did to go to back of vehicle, put front paws up on the bumper and then we would do a rump lift, which prevented jumping.

They were only allowed to enter on their own when we gave a "hup" command.

We also backed up our SUV to a curb or the garage door from the house, which takes alot of height off the entry.

We did not use a ramp for either of our dogs till they were near 9 years old. Transporting a ramp everywhere is kind of a pain too, beleive me. So we got good at backing up to taller curbs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts