German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I don't have this in the right forum, mods please move. Thank you.:)

Well, I guess now is probably a good time I should register Kane with AKC.:p. He just turned 2. It was never really important to me, but the hubby has been on my case about it. I really don't care either way. I'll love him registered or not. So, here is my dilema. I suck at naming. Seriously. Cutesie names. No problem. Cool names. Not so much.:rolleyes:

So, I am asking ya'll to help with a name. Here is his parents.

Luther Ulrich Von Pieper - German shepherd dog

Nixie Vom Pieper-Haus - German shepherd dog

·
2,967 Posts
Are you planning to continue with a German naming scheme like the parents? When we named our dogs we had their litter letter and we opted to translate my MIL's Mastiff kennel (Iron Lion) into german for the Shepherds. So Argos vom Eisernen Loewen would roughly translater into Argos of the Iron Lion. In the German naming the kennel goes in back. So Kane vom __________.

In AKC naming the kennel is in the front. So one of my MIL's Mastiffs was Iron Lion's Cantankerous Earl (His call name was Tank). I also knew someone who got a Dachshund puppy instead of a cruise for her birthday. They named the puppy Debby's Birthday Cruise and called him Cruiser. So when you decided on how you want to do you kennel name it would be ___________'s Kane.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are you planning to continue with a German naming scheme like the parents? When we named our dogs we had their litter letter and we opted to translate my MIL's Mastiff kennel (Iron Lion) into german for the Shepherds. So Argos vom Eisernen Loewen would roughly translater into Argos of the Iron Lion. In the German naming the kennel goes in back. So Kane vom __________.

In AKC naming the kennel is in the front. So one of my MIL's Mastiffs was Iron Lion's Cantankerous Earl (His call name was Tank). I also knew someone who got a Dachshund puppy instead of a cruise for her birthday. They named the puppy Debby's Birthday Cruise and called him Cruiser. So when you decided on how you want to do you kennel name it would be ___________'s Kane.
I do like the german naming scheme, alot better than cutesie ones. When I use to work at the vets office we had an owner surrender english bulldog. Of course me being the animal lover, I took him. She even gave me his papers. His name was "Sir Butch Eureka Cassidy". They named there bullies after vacummn cleaners.:rofl:

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
So you're wanting to go with a German theme: Kane vom or von something or other. Vom/von means "of" or "from", so why not come up with what you want him to be "of" or "from?"

Example: Cash was my shelter boy, so I named him Cash Money Vom Tierheim, meaning "from the animal shelter."

Maybe you have a creek or lake or mountain or valley or something nearby you could name him after?

·
Registered
800 Posts
naming a dog can be really fun! We call Harley our land shark, so I translated land shark into German and came up with this. Harley von Menschenhai= man eating shark!
We thought it quite funny!

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

So, if the kennel name goes in the front, how would you put it? How would you place Vom Pieper-Haus? Would it be "Vom Pieper-Haus (then whatother name I'll name him)"?:confused:

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm looking at the AKC registration and I noticed that she didnt signature the permission to use registered kennel name. Does that mean I can't use it?

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
I'm looking at the AKC registration and I noticed that she didnt signature the permission to use registered kennel name. Does that mean I can't use it?
Yes, if she didn't say you could use it, you can't. You could call and ask her to sign it.

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
So, if the kennel name goes in the front, how would you put it? How would you place Vom Pieper-Haus? Would it be "Vom Pieper-Haus (then whatother name I'll name him)"?:confused:
No, if you're using the American structure it would be Pieper Haus's Kane.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, if she didn't say you could use it, you can't. You could call and ask her to sign it.

She isn't breeding anymore, does that make an impact even tho the kennel no longer exists? So do I just make up a random name?:confused:

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes you just make a random name. :) So it can be anything you'd like.

:p So,I'm back to square one. lol. Have no idea what to name him. Kinda gives me the sads that I can't put a kennel name to him:(. Can I make up a Kennel name?:D Or borrow one? JK!

·
Registered
295 Posts
:)bunchoberrys,
Yes, make one up….. "Bunchoberry's Raising Kane"
"Bunchoberry's straight as a Kane"
or something… as long as nobody else already uses that, which I think you can search the AKC website to find out…:)
Good Luck!!!

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
That space needs to be signed only if the breeder paid the fees to AKC to register the name so no one else can use it. A lot of breeders don't, so you will find other kennels using the same name.

IE Rayden's breeder uses "blackthorn" and I have since since other kennel's using the same name.

If she is no longer breeding I would ask her if she minds if you use it. A lot of breeders will fill in that part of the name themselves

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok, I think we have a winner here. lol. Looked on AKC website, and they say its ok.
How bout "Black Forests Citizen Kane".:D

·
Registered
295 Posts
Nice!!!!:)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts