German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
there has always been a white gsd in our family. almost 3 weeks ago somebody dumped a female and a female puppy out of their van on my block. 5 hrs later i had wrangled the 3 week old white fluff ball that has become family with my other 13 dogs but had no luck with mom. Trouble has one blue and one brown eye,her vision has checked fine but she is nearly completely deaf..she was very skittish when i brought her in and was very aggressive at my husband. i have never seen such aggression or fear of people and life in such a young animal-i have worked with blind dogs before and am no stranger to taking in strays,fosters and anything else that crosses my path. after 3 weeks she follows me,climbs up to lay with me and sleep with me but will still not allow me to pet her. she attacks my husbands legs and feet. i am home 24/7 due to epilepsy,maybe she is wary of that,although none of the other dogs are. she is not interested in training,tried food bribes,she is still too wary. all my animals are trained with hand and verbal signals,and none of them i used food with,just praise. she is healthy and smart,she loves all my other dogs and even the cats,so that is helping her to relax and bond,in seeing them do so...she is just so young that you cant do too much at a time and i dont want to force her-bribe or whatnot,not beat and dictate-into training and human interactions. she is curious about people which is good,we ignored her for almost a week so that she had time to adjust,relax and come to us. the vet was concerned due to her eye pigmentation,as it is supposedly uncommon,none of our other white gsd's had blue eyes let alone one of each. her ears are starting to prick up,not sure about the developement on that,whats normal ect....she goes back to the vet sat for a check up and shots..any advice would be appreciated,especially if anyone has experience with deaf puppies...thanx from me and Trouble!

·
Registered
36 Posts
there has always been a white gsd in our family. almost 3 weeks ago somebody dumped a female and a female puppy out of their van on my block. 5 hrs later i had wrangled the 3 week old white fluff ball that has become family with my other 13 dogs but had no luck with mom. Trouble has one blue and one brown eye,her vision has checked fine but she is nearly completely deaf..she was very skittish when i brought her in and was very aggressive at my husband. i have never seen such aggression or fear of people and life in such a young animal-i have worked with blind dogs before and am no stranger to taking in strays,fosters and anything else that crosses my path. after 3 weeks she follows me,climbs up to lay with me and sleep with me but will still not allow me to pet her. she attacks my husbands legs and feet. i am home 24/7 due to epilepsy,maybe she is wary of that,although none of the other dogs are. she is not interested in training,tried food bribes,she is still too wary. all my animals are trained with hand and verbal signals,and none of them i used food with,just praise. she is healthy and smart,she loves all my other dogs and even the cats,so that is helping her to relax and bond,in seeing them do so...she is just so young that you cant do too much at a time and i dont want to force her-bribe or whatnot,not beat and dictate-into training and human interactions. she is curious about people which is good,we ignored her for almost a week so that she had time to adjust,relax and come to us. the vet was concerned due to her eye pigmentation,as it is supposedly uncommon,none of our other white gsd's had blue eyes let alone one of each. her ears are starting to prick up,not sure about the developement on that,whats normal ect....she goes back to the vet sat for a check up and shots..any advice would be appreciated,especially if anyone has experience with deaf puppies...thanx from me and Trouble!
how old is she currently? she/hes probably a little scared because she hasnt seen you guys. give it about a month or 2. then youll be fine. and the petting problem is her just being protective. slowly start doing things like those with her

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
she is 5-6 weeks old,dont have her birthday...shes coming along and its been 3 weeks friday....my fixed females starting lactating to feed her because she wouldnt come close for me to feed her. she is weaning and taking jerky treats and liver...she doesnt bite me,just my husband. she plays great with the other animals.

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
I fostered a deaf shepherd but he wasn't a puppy. We used positive reinforcement and trained him pretty much the same way we would train any hearing dog, just using hand signals all the time. (and voice commands along with them, more because they're a habit, he couldn't hear them) The only difference was, we used vibrations to get his attention and never could be sure he would recall so he was always on a long lead.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
It sounds like this pup didn't have any handling by people and was separated way too young from her mom and litter mates. This explains some of her fears and behaviors but she may also have been imprinted with fear tsy hrough her mom and/or also have a genetic predisposition towards timidity.

With that many dogs you will most likely have to separate her from the rest of your pack in order to really get her looking to you and your husband as leaders. Otherwise she will look to the other dogs for everything and could remain semi-feral.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
they were shoved out of a van,the mother had a collar and listened to a few commands the 5 hours i was out in the snow trying to wrangle the pair-no,sit,stay ect....i fed the mother trying to get close enough to get a leash on her but she was obviously traumatized and trying to keep me from the puppy aka trouble. after i got the puppy the mother took off,i got in my car but couldnt find her again....she follows me and sleeps with me now,she only bites and attacks my husband, she is just still skittish about being approached and pet. although she will let me rub her belly when she lays next to me in bed and she licks my hand and face when she thinks i am sleeping...i wish i knew more of her history nd that she wasnt so young or i could have gotten the mother also...trouble has made alot of progress the past 3 weeks since i found her. i'm just still shocked at the anti sociability-if thats a word- of such a young puppy...the vet said she couldnt have been more than 3 weeks when i brought her in the day i found her.she is doing really well with potty training. i have a can with some coins to rattle when i catch her to try and get her attention. being 5 to 6 weeks though,i'm more focused on establishing a bond and trust before tricks and obedience for now........any ideas other than food?

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
........any ideas other than food?
Are you using real food like pieces of chicken? That usually works well. And having rehabbed shy and abused dogs I have to say that the smellier and grosser the food is, the better it works. :sick: I've also found that you have to use A LOT of really yummy stinky food until they trust you more.

And the bond is definitely the main thing both you and your husband want to work on with her right now.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
tried hot dogs,warm sausage, i get chicken gizzards and beef liver and tounge for the others to cook and make into treats,tried peanut butter,gravy,steak scraps,whatever i'm eating,after i'm done eating,i dont need a beggar. she has a fondness for paper and newly discovered dry noodles-ramen noodles....she wont take anything from your hand,if you drop it or try and bribe her she tastes it and takes off.50/50 chance she tries to take the piece of whatever with her..i tried gravy,butter and whatnot to try and get her to eat out of my hand or at least stay near my hand for more than half a second....i forgot to mention that she is fine with feet,just not hands. and not just from a reaching down at her. i lay on the ground to be on her level. she is so contradictive in behaviours its frustrating because to work on one issue makes another worse. she is timid and submissive but the first to bark or growl when something is going on and she attacks my husbands legs whenever he moves and growls at him. she follows me and cuddles up next to me but wont let me look at her without taking off and hiding. you can play with her with your feet or scoot her up onto furniture or back with your leg or foot but you drop your arm and off she goes. except for when i go upstairs to go to bed. she makes it up like 6 stirs and waits for me to pick her up and carry her into bed. if i wake up and switch positions she freaks out and jumps out of bed but then spends the next 10 minutes trying to get back into bed and next to me. she sleeps on my chest or next to my head...i have experience with the breed and bought gsd's for dummies and have been searching the internet for advice...i just dont want to make her worse,but now is the time to socialize her and all that good stuff but i cant because i wont force her to be by me or my husband to reinforce fear or people are bad but still think leaving her mostly be for another month till she comes around can do alot of harm for her developement. her hearing doesnt affect her in any other aspect of her life so i dont think thats part of the problem we are having now..this is the most trouble i've had with an animal and i used to foster dogs with aggression issues to rehablitate them...i dont take the frustration out on her though or let her see it when i'm flustered...mybe she is just really sneaky and plotting against me :)

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
This page is a great resource for living with deaf dogs: Deaf Dog Education Action Fund

I don't feel like the behavior issues you have with the pup are related to her deafness though. The mother sounds extremely nervous (and fear aggressive?), so there is very likely a genetic component to the behavior. And if these dogs were pushed out of a van, they likely didn't receive much care or training where ever they lived before. here are a few resources for dealing with fearful dogs, I really recommend joining the Shy-k9s list:

shy-k9s : shy-k9s
Working with a fearful, scared or shy dog

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Yes! The Shyk9s group is excellent. It was very helpful to me with Kai. What you describe are all classic signs of fear and fear aggression.

It can take a very long time to get a really shy dog to eat out of your hand. The biggest tool you have is patience. Let her go at her own pace, don't push her over her threshold and understand that she will be a lifelong work in progress and may never be a "normal" dog.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Yes! The Shyk9s group is excellent. It was very helpful to me with Kai. What you describe are all classic signs of fear and fear aggression.

It can take a very long time to get a really shy dog to eat out of your hand. The biggest tool you have is patience. Let her go at her own pace, don't push her over her threshold and understand that she will be a lifelong work in progress and may never be a "normal" dog.
There is also the possibility of using behavioral drugs, either short or long term. I don't suggest them as a cure-all by any means but with dogs who have serious issues, they can really help a lot when used with behavior modification. They would be something I'd consider for the mother and maybe for the puppy at some time, although I'm not sure if they are suitable to use with puppies.

I had a dog that I got from the dog pound at around 8 weeks old. From the time he came home, he was afraid of most strangers and very afraid of most men. As a very young puppy he'd usually run away and hide if he could but as he matured, he began showing reactive behavior towards strangers (barking, growling, etc). It took three years of working with him. Three years of classes. Three years of lots and lots of socialization but he did get over it. People who met him after he was a few years old couldn't believe it when I would tell him how fearful he used to be. The level of success one will have with their shy dog depends on a lot of individual factors, both with the dog and with the owner. But improvement is almost always possible.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thank you for the links everybody. i love the little trouble maker and know what a committment she was when i brought her into my home and life. i am quite familiar with patience and am home 24/7 to really work with her like she needs and deserves. will keep everyone posted and add pics as she develops.....:)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
They still havent accepted my "application". I submitted when you left the link. She is doing far better. There are videos on u tube..by slhotak with her romping around if your interested

1 - 13 of 13 Posts