German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 18 month old who I have been feeding Stella and Chewy frozen raw to and am looking to switch. The reason for the switch is the cost ($350/month) as well as it is real difficult to have the place where we leave him when we go away deal with raw. He is also allergic to chicken (gives him real bad diarrea) - he could probably have a food with small amounts but not a chicken based food. Looking for a high quality kibble that is obviously good for his overall health. This is my fourth shepherd and the frozen raw has kept his stools amazing and his coat so beautiful - would be great if you could recommend a kibble that could do the same. Thanks for any help and recommendations.

·
Premium Member
4,707 Posts
Kibble could never do for your dog what raw does. ;)

Kibble is "extruded" and cooked at high temperatures.

My suggestion would be to continue to feed raw and if you need to leave him with someone, feed him 100% human ingredient, dehydrated dog food made by The Honest Kitchen (a 10 lb box re-hydrates to approx 40 pounds of food) or an "air dried" food called Ziwi Peak which looks like little pieces of jerky. These are expensive, but well worth it to me when we travel and I don't want to take raw with us.

Both of these foods provide "one protein" choices.

Ziwi Peak: https://www.ziwipets.com/catalog/ziwi-peak-dog-nutrition/air-dried-dog-food

The Honest Kitchen:
https://www.thehonestkitchen.com/
There is also an Honest Kitchen BASE MIX (for adult dogs) to which you add your own raw or cooked meat. https://www.thehonestkitchen.com/dog-food/base-mix

For traveling, you could also try something like STELLA & CHEWY or PRIMAL Freeze Dried.

Bravo "BALANCE" raw food is a litter cheaper than S&C: Discover Bravo Balance<sup>®</sup> Raw Diet | Frozen Raw Dog Food - Bravo Pet Food

Find a store near you: Find a Bravo Retailer - Bravo Pet Food

Hope this helps!
Moms :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Where are you located? Maybe find a Tefco supplier or a Ross Wells supplier.
Thanks Jax! I'm located in South Florida. Closest Tefco is around an hour away. Is Tefco the same as Tian Dog Food as that is what comes up when I google it?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kibble could never do for your dog what raw does. ;)

Kibble is "extruded" and cooked at high temperatures.

My suggestion would be to continue to feed raw and if you need to leave him with someone, feed him 100% human ingredient, dehydrated dog food made by The Honest Kitchen (a 10 lb box re-hydrates to approx 40 pounds of food) or an "air dried" food called Ziwi Peak which looks like little pieces of jerky. These are expensive, but well worth it to me when we travel and I don't want to take raw with us.

Both of these foods provide "one protein" choices.

Ziwi Peak: https://www.ziwipets.com/catalog/ziwi-peak-dog-nutrition/air-dried-dog-food

The Honest Kitchen:
https://www.thehonestkitchen.com/
There is also an Honest Kitchen BASE MIX (for adult dogs) to which you add your own raw or cooked meat. https://www.thehonestkitchen.com/dog-food/base-mix

For traveling, you could also try something like STELLA & CHEWY or PRIMAL Freeze Dried.

Bravo "BALANCE" raw food is a litter cheaper than S&C: Discover Bravo Balance<sup>®</sup> Raw Diet | Frozen Raw Dog Food - Bravo Pet Food

Find a store near you: Find a Bravo Retailer - Bravo Pet Food

Hope this helps!

Wow!! Thank you so much Moms! Going to look into Bravo as they sell that where I am buying S&C. We are going away in a week and wonder if the freeze dried is an easy replacement that doesn't require any transition - would you know?
Thanks again!

·
Registered
31,379 Posts
Thanks Jax! I'm located in South Florida. Closest Tefco is around an hour away. Is Tefco the same as Tian Dog Food as that is what comes up when I google it?
No idea if they are a distributor.

Rawdogfoodwholesale.com

·
Registered
5,672 Posts
You can cut the cost of commercial raw about by 30-50% by feeding a base mix (like The Honest Kitchen or Sojo's) that contains no meat. It's a porridge that when rehydrated supplements meat of your choice to make a complete, balanced (AAFCO compliant) meal. Sojo's grain-based Mix-A-Meal is far and away the cheapest base-mix -- it comes in a huge 40# bag. If your dog handles grain well, that would be the cheapest way to still feed a partial raw, balanced diet.

The Honest Kitchen's Preference is a grain-free option, though significantly more expensive than Sojo's. I go through two boxes a month with a 75-ish pound adult dog -- plus his meat (which turns out to be 10# week). Dr. Harvey's Veg-to-Bowl is comparable to THK, and their Paradigm formula is excellent (but very expensive).

FWIW, I buy my THK through OnlyNaturalPet.com and can always find a coupon code for at least 15% off.

I would also add fish oil -- and taurine, as there's some concern about that with these diets right now (discussed in another thread).

·
Premium Member
4,707 Posts
Wow!! Thank you so much Moms! Going to look into Bravo as they sell that where I am buying S&C. We are going away in a week and wonder if the freeze dried is an easy replacement that doesn't require any transition - would you know?
Thanks again!

All dogs are different.

Mine can switch without a problem. Some dogs can't.

I would stick with the S & C raw and S & C freeze dried, not two different brands, that could cause gut upset. Try switching for a few days before you leave to make sure it works.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Victor Yukon Salmon or Victor Ocean Fish could be great options as they are fish based and affordable. I am a fan of good kibble as well. Raw isnt always better despite what some think. A lot of people dont do raw properly and fully balanced with the varied protein sources daily, meat quality, ratios of different organs to muscle meat and bone and proper formulation/balance of vitamins and minerals. Ziwipeak is great but its very pricey for how much a GSD has to eat.

·
Registered
867 Posts
I also feed Victor....I'd never heard of it until one of the many food threads here and Jax08 mentioned it.....the Victor Ocean Fish got my senior male interested in food again and as a side benefit we have a Aussie whose stomach doesn't tolerate chicken based kibble.....she's been doing great on the Ocean Fish recipe also

·
Registered
851 Posts
I was using Earthborn Holistic grain-free until recently. While my dogs did very well on that brand, the grain-free controversy made me switch to Victor. My dogs are doing very well on that, also, and it’s cheaper. lolol

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
Fromm and victor. Primal/Stella and Chewies dehydrated patties added or fresh food. They always had healthy weights beautiful clean coats active,My female is getting the itchiness first time this winter grainfree or grain and seemingly in early evening. You can always rotate between raw and kibble to cut down cost.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts