German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI all, I am a first time puppy owner and have a few questions/concerns. My first question is about the amount I am feeding her. She is nearly 5 months old. According to the bag I am supposed to be feeding her about 4-5 cups (8 oz. cup) per day. So I feed her three times daily, 1 1/2 cups at 7am and noon, then a cup around 5-6 pm. She does not seem super thrilled about the food, I generally have to add a little chicken broth to it for her to eat. Otherwise the food will sit there all day.Am I over feeding her? Should I change dog food? I am currently feeding her Natural Balance: Duck and Potato. While that is an "all stages of life" dog food, my Vet said I should change to an adult food at this point. What are your thoughts on that? I can feel her ribs through her coat, but they are not super prominent. Thanks in advance for all your suggestions and advice!!!

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Originally Posted By: Sardismy Vet said I should change to an adult food at this point.
No offense but the vet in a moron. An ALL LIFE STAGE food is just that. Good for ALL AGES. If you are happy with the food and the dogs condition, there is NO reason to change. I'm sure the vet would prefer you feed her Science Diet.

There is no way anyone on the board can tell if you are feeding her too much. Can you post a picture or 2 of her? Preferably one from above, looking down at her back.

Does she have a "waist"? How hard it is to feel her ribs? Can you feel them very easily, or do you have to press in to feel them? Do you know how much she weighs?

·
Registered
15,955 Posts
I would be sure I had an adult food. I found my GSD pups do better on adult food than puppy food - they grow more slowly & have better bone structure.

The degree of thrill on the food might be related to it's availability. I've found putting the food up after a while works best. And you might just have a picky eater. What was she eating when you got her?

One note - the exotic feeds (duck/sweetpotato etc) are usually saved for dogs that develop sensitivities to your more common chicken & beef formulas.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Originally Posted By: middleofnowhereI would be sure I had an adult food. I found my GSD pups do better on adult food than puppy food.
But the pup isn't eating "puppy food". That was the point. The pup is on an All Life Stages food but the vet said to feed it "adult food"
. That makes no sense. For all intents and purposes an ALS food IS "adult food".

That said, I agree, is there a reason the pup is eating the flavor of food it is?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Before I got Katie she was eating pedigree puppy chow. When I went to the pet store to get new food the Natural Balance was suggested as a good brand for GS dogs, so I gave it a try. I actually do take the food away after a short while so on occasion she misses a meal, but it is rare that she does. There is no specific reason she is eating the specific flavor. I am not opposed to switching either, I just do not know what to switch to. When I was away last week the person watching her fed her Bountiful I think, he told me the Katie just devoured it, so maybe she likes that better.
As far as feeling her ribs, I do not have to press real hard to feel them, but I do have to put slight pressure to feel them. As far as getting a picture up, I have not figured out how to upload them to the site. Any help with that would be most appreciated. Thanks again!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts