German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 5 mo GSD has been lunging at cars (fast moving ones, not the slow ones) for almost as long as I've had her (2 months). It wasn't too bad at first. I was teaching her sit for a while when the cars came near, but we're on a busy street that it became hard to walk with constant sits. I got lax in doing the sit command every time a car came by.

Her lunges became more frequent. I did notice she's very focused on the cars. No matter what I do to break her focus, I can't. I've even tried holding food at the edge of her mouth, and she won't open to eat it,. I've pulled her in another direction. I've tried verbal commands. On occasion I can get her to sit without lunging, but that's rare now. I'm at the point where all I can do is brace for the lunge from a 42 pound dog that will likely be 80 when she's done. And with the snow and ice coming, I REALLY want to break her of this. To make things worse, she's not snapping at the cars as well when they race by. Is this aggression?

If it helps to understand the situation, she's a very calm, loving dog in all other situations, great with all people, but is not a good leash walker yet. She pulls a lot. She's highly distracted by the surrounding sounds and sights like squirrels, birds, chipmunks, leaves. She doesn't lunge after large vehicles like trucks, just fast moving cars. Please help!!

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Stosh started doing the same thing at that age- one time he actually tried to bite the side of a car and ran into it head first! At times he will run the fence after certain cars, not all of them just ones that are fast and zoomie. I've spent lots of time just sitting at the end of the drive with a prong collar on him, correcting him when he makes the slightest move towards a car. I also give the 'leave it' command. We don't have many cars that go by so it's taken a while but he has made a huge improvement. When we're out walking at a park or some other place they don't seem to interest him as much as the ones driving past the house.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Has she been hit by a car? We had dog that got hit, and from then on, whenever standing near a running vehicle, he'd start barking, but if you took him off the leash, he'd run the opposite direction.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Has she been hit by a car? We had dog that got hit, and from then on, whenever standing near a running vehicle, he'd start barking, but if you took him off the leash, he'd run the opposite direction.
Nope, never hit, or even had a close contact with one, other than to ride in my car daily. I think she wants to race it. But then again, I'm not sure how the snapping fits in.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts