German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to find the study that was done concerning the chemicals or hormones that a dogs brain releases during an agressive episode. The study found that it took x number of days (can't remember how many) for the brain to return to normal state. It was quite a while back but someone had posted either the link or the actual study here on this site.

I tried searching here and on google but I'm not using the right key words. Any help is appreciated. Yup life decided to throw us some curve balls. Rereading the study will help me plan our next week or two.

·
Super Moderator
7,204 Posts
The hormone is cortisol and it can take up to 72hrs after an episode to return to a normal level. That said, each dog has a different baseline that they’re starting with.

Perhaps adding “cortisol” to your search will get you better results in finding a helpful article or study.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Fodder I didn't find the exact article/study yet, but I did find info I was looking for in other articles using cortisol and dog aggression as key words.

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
Try looking on the ASPCA Pro site -- http://aspcapro.org -- that's their collection of resources for sheltering professionals. I know I saw that research about cortisol in connection with sheltering -- it likely came from them. Possibly Best Friends, but most likely ASPCA Pro.

The standard of care in sheltering now is to wait 72 hours after intake to do temperament testing in order to allow cortisol to get back to normal. That research has been widely discussed.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the links. I didn't find the study on the ASPCA site but I kind of got side tracked with other interesting articles on it.

Jenny, that was an interesting study and offered a lot to think about and try.

The two instanceses were about a week apart and it seems that my boy has slid back a couple notches from his easy going ignor dogs while walking. We worked hard to get to that easy going place in his and my brain and I just needed to know the time frame for when the hormone turmoil settles.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
906 Posts
My former GSD had a nasty dog fight and the owner of the other dog got bitten on her leg (not badly it was more like a scratch).

I talked to my vet about the incident and he told me to keep a close eye on my dog for a few days because a dog can stay in fight mode for about that long.
He called it, Fight/Bite.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts